"The GAA at local level is the very heart of the Irish person"

Started by seafoid, December 12, 2022, 02:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on December 15, 2022, 08:42:53 PM
Are any League of Ireland or rugby clubs named after Irish revolutionary figures eg Pearse, Tone, Mellows, Sarsfield, Watty Graham etc.

No. Why?

From the Bunker

Are any League of Ireland or rugby clubs named after Irish revolutionary figures eg Pearse, Tone, Mellows, Sarsfield, Watty Graham etc.

Soccer was banned in this country until 1970.  By that time newly formed clubs were a generation or two removed from patriotic heros. Most were taking their lead from Clubs they seen across the pond on Match of the Day.

I find the GAA can be up it's own hole as to their importance in the community. In some places the GAA does not exist as the social fabric that is often portrayed. In many cases they are just clubs that provide a facility to play sport and no more.

Armagh18

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2022, 10:34:29 PM

Soccer was banned in this country until 1970.  By that time newly formed clubs were a generation or two removed from patriotic heros. Most were taking their lead from Clubs they seen across the pond on Match of the Day.

I find the GAA can be up it's own hole as to their importance in the community. In some places the GAA does not exist as the social fabric that is often portrayed. In many cases they are just clubs that provide a facility to play sport and no more.
That would be the minority i think

Rossfan

Might be a minority in the 6 Counties but in the 26 the majority see themselves and are seen as sports clubs, very good ones in the main of course.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ardtole

In the North the gaa club would be central or a focal point for a lot of community based activities. Whether it's making it facilities available for tea and sandwiches after funerals, bingo nights etc. A lot of clubs would have defibrillators on site as well for the benefit of the community in general and usually it would be club members who have the training to use them.

Obviously not everyone would be involved directly in the club but the community as a whole benefit from local Gaa clubs in a way that is sometimes overlooked.

JimStynes

Is the GAA more important in the North? People up here definitely seem more obsessed with GAA than down south.

Rossfan

I suppose its all tied up with National identity etc.
Then again 60% of the North's population have either no interest in gaelic games or have hatred for them.

In the 26 a lot of people have a passing interest and many jump on a bandwagon occasionally.
About 10% of the population would be members but about 1% of over 40s.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

Quote from: JimStynes on December 18, 2022, 12:18:58 PM
Is the GAA more important in the North? People up here definitely seem more obsessed with GAA than down south.

not in certain areas some places only pay attention once the county gets to semis or final.

general_lee

Slightly different dimension to the GAA in the North alright.

seafoid

The League of Ireland goes back to the 1921. All sports have cultures. Soccer is plugged into an international network. So is rugby. GAA isn't.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 18, 2022, 09:35:32 AM

Huge parts of Dublin have no GAA presence. Huge parts of Dublin have a GAA presence that is more based on a social hub for rural immigrants than anything sporting. In large parts of Dublin the GAA club plays out of the local park with no facilities.

It's ruthlessly and deliberately offensive to suggest other sports don't provide to the social capital of their areas. As I have said before, my club is a mess and are so removed from the local community even the Irish dancing uses the local soccer clubs superior facilities.

This line that yhe GAA provide something unique, especially in the 26, has led to too many club not bothering on the dangerous naivety the soccer, rugby, boxing and whatnot cannot offer the same

trueblue1234

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 18, 2022, 10:49:10 PM

Huge parts of Dublin have no GAA presence. Huge parts of Dublin have a GAA presence that is more based on a social hub for rural immigrants than anything sporting. In large parts of Dublin the GAA club plays out of the local park with no facilities.

It's ruthlessly and deliberately offensive to suggest other sports don't provide to the social capital of their areas. As I have said before, my club is a mess and are so removed from the local community even the Irish dancing uses the local soccer clubs superior facilities.

This line that yhe GAA provide something unique, especially in the 26, has led to too many club not bothering on the dangerous naivety the soccer, rugby, boxing and whatnot cannot offer the same

I'm surprised to hear that. In the north the GAA clubs are very central to the nationalist community and as mentioned before their halls are sided for funeral teas, birthday parties, drama groups, fun raisers. In Tyrone there's maybe one or two soccer clubs that would have the facilities to match most grade 3 Gaelic clubs.

Is BB's post the same across Dublin?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Armagh18

Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 19, 2022, 11:42:22 AM

I'm surprised to hear that. In the north the GAA clubs are very central to the nationalist community and as mentioned before their halls are sided for funeral teas, birthday parties, drama groups, fun raisers. In Tyrone there's maybe one or two soccer clubs that would have the facilities to match most grade 3 Gaelic clubs.

Is BB's post the same across Dublin?
them Dubs are a different breed

general_lee

And? You could say the same for Belfast, albeit on a smaller scale.
It's fairly naive to examine the role the GAA plays in irish society based solely on Dublin.

snoopdog

Quote from: J70 on December 14, 2022, 06:24:31 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 13, 2022, 04:04:10 PM
Rugby is the peoples game.

The people of Terenure, Blackrock and Limerick city maybe!
The GAA Is booming in Terenure. Templeogue Synge Street academy and underage teams use  the Terenure College pitches  for training. Terenure College now also play GAA. The rugby club built an astropitch that is taken over by underage gaa teams alot of nights of the week.