Offally U14 Shenanigans

Started by Baile Brigín 2, April 07, 2022, 03:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ethan Tremblay

any wonder children lose interest in the game
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

In hiding

At least they can concentrate on the soccer now

From the Bunker

We had a situation last week where a Two local u14 Gaelic Football teams arranged to play each other the same day as a Hurling Match which was well sign posted. 6 players involved in both picked to play football! 2 from one team 4 from the other. Being in a natural hold of power, the football clubs decided to plough ahead. With the Hurling left with no option but to go to the county board to block any referee being appointed.

The football crowd got huffed that they basically could not trample on the Hurling fixture. Looking down their nose at how 6 players could disrupt a football match!

Main Street

Some glimmer of hope
POLL: Were Offaly GAA right to drop four U14 players for missing training for a soccer match?

72% No

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on April 07, 2022, 03:39:34 PM
Gahbadsoccergood.

Did your mother have you tested?

Any thoughts on the topic in hand?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: In hiding on April 07, 2022, 05:42:02 PM
At least they can concentrate on the soccer now

Much as I hate to say it, I think they are better off out of it.

Codes of conduct, dropped from county panel for missing (with permission) one session, no warning, no meeting. They are 13. I would be questioning that environment for seniors, never mind kids

rosnarun

Its the way Declan kelly is he dropped some of the best  Players from  last years under 20 squad because they were not willing to meet his level of commitment .
and that wored out for him .
Some counties have been wishy washy regarding commitment for years and get no where.
Manager sometimes have to be unreasonabl p***k to get results .

What would Edenderry Town FC have done if the lads went to football training instead
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rosnarun on April 08, 2022, 09:08:28 AM
Its the way Declan kelly is he dropped some of the best  Players from  last years under 20 squad because they were not willing to meet his level of commitment .
and that wored out for him .
Some counties have been wishy washy regarding commitment for years and get no where.
Manager sometimes have to be unreasonabl p***k to get results .

What would Edenderry Town FC have done if the lads went to football training instead

They are 13.

But that story doesn't fit. The lads were given a pass to not train.

And are we seriously suggesting missing one session gets you axed is a thing, especially for kids?

Are you asking what Edenderry would have done if lads akipped a national cup QF to go training?

Truth hurts

The sport of the oppressor, well done Offally.

David McKeown

To me it looks like one of two scenarios has occurred.

Either the kids have been removed because they have prioritised soccer which makes me question the professionalism of Offaly in dealing with kids.

Or

Offaly demand professional levels of commitment from 13 year olds (and the reason for missing the session is largely irrelevant) which makes me saddened at the approach being taken to an amateur sport.

Either way I don't think Offaly have covered themselves in glory here. Poor kids
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

themac_23

Its an U14 'Development Squad' if its for developing players then it should be treated as such. the young lads in question are probably better off out of it, if they're playing club football and also playing soccer thats plenty for them. they'll be getting plenty of training and game time over them 2 squads and when they're a bit older ie under 17/18 they'll be back in the county fold for minor if they're good enough. Kids should be encouraged to go and play as much games as they can, it'll make them far better players.

bigarsedkeeper

I've 2 lads playing football and hurling for a few years now and they played soccer this winter. The football end of GAA is definitely the hardest to work round. I get you need a certain level of commitment but it's proven in professional sports that playing multi sports at youth level makes for a better rounded athlete at adult level. Very few are going to play 2 or 3 sports after 15/16 but there should be some slack given to young kids. Those 4 lads are more likely to stick to the soccer than work harder to get back to the panel.

Kids should enjoy sport first and foremost and more and more I'm hearing kids aren't enjoying gaelic football because it's too serious too soon.

GoldCoastRossie

I feel sorry for the young lads. A FAI cup quarter final is a huge game and one they have played and trained for with their teammates and earned  the right to play in.   

What does it say to young lads that you have to sign a contract to train with a development panel. Do you think dropping them will increase their love of GAA or alienate them ?

One of the things I liked about playing soccer at home was playing with school friends who played with a number of GAA clubs and we got to play together as a team.

It's seems rather heavy handed and disproportionate