Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 10, 2023, 01:54:55 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on January 10, 2023, 01:41:40 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 09, 2023, 02:56:02 PM
Statement from Lee Keegan:

"I have enjoyed every minute of my time with Mayo. We had great days and some memorable victories. For me, it was always about wearing that Mayo jersey with pride every single day, and I was honoured to play alongside players who were of the same mind, and under managers who drove high standards on and off the pitch. But all good things must come to an end. The reality is that I have had to rely on a lot of people – most notably my wife Aoife – to give me the time and space to pursue my dream. Now that we have two young children, Lile and Rhea, I am keenly aware that I am no longer able to commit to inter-county football in the way I did over the past eleven years. I will continue to make myself available to Westport and look forward to building on last year's historic success in the years ahead. I wish Mayo every success in 2023 and beyond. I will be cheering them on from the terraces. That'll be an unusual experience for me, I'm sure, but such is the way of life."

Surely after the career he's had he deserves a stand ticket at least.
Maybe he prefers to stand than sit when watching matches.
The last time he was at a Mayo match where he was a supporter and not a member of the squad (non-playing or playing) he was only a youngster, now that he's in his 30s he's forgetting the benefits of the seat over the craic with the lads on the terraces 🙂

Maroon Manc

What a player, probably the best defender I've seen. He's shown remarkable levels of consistency since 2012, looked finished in 2019 but came back as strong as ever in 2020 and won another All Star in 2021 and was probably Mayo's best player again last year. A huge loss to Mayo as is still their best man marker.

Don't recall him missing too much in front of the posts either, fairly sure he was Mayo's top scorer from play in the first 4 All Irelands he played in.

trailer

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 10, 2023, 10:22:07 AM
What a player, probably the best defender I've seen. He's shown remarkable levels of consistency since 2012, looked finished in 2019 but came back as strong as ever in 2020 and won another All Star in 2021 and was probably Mayo's best player again last year. A huge loss to Mayo as is still their best man marker.

Don't recall him missing too much in front of the posts either, fairly sure he was Mayo's top scorer from play in the first 4 All Irelands he played in.

f**king hell here we go again. The Best Ever. Unrivalled. No Equals.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: trailer on January 10, 2023, 10:40:41 AM

You ok? What a total overreaction this is.

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 10, 2023, 11:05:24 AM

You must have missed the craic about when Murphy retired! ;)

tonto1888

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 10, 2023, 11:05:24 AM

the child is best ignored

trailer

Lee Keegan was a great player and a fantastic defender in a Mayo side he stood out as he actually had a bit of heart as opposed to the majority of Mayo footballers. I wish him a happy retirement from Intercounty football.

The best ever? Without a doubt. Forget Tomas O'Se, Jack McCaffrey, Philip Jordan, James McCarthy, Kieran McGeeney or even Seamus Moynihan (I know wayyyy back) Keegan is unrivalled. The greatest. He stands alone. He has no equals.

The GOAT.

rodney trotter

Is he not allowed to have an opinion? Naming a load of players is irrelevant.

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on January 10, 2023, 11:37:05 AM
Lee Keegan was a great player and a fantastic defender in a Mayo side he stood out as he actually had a bit of heart as opposed to the majority of Mayo footballers. I wish him a happy retirement from Intercounty football.

The best ever? Without a doubt. Forget Tomas O'Se, Jack McCaffrey, Philip Jordan, James McCarthy, Kieran McGeeney or even Seamus Moynihan (I know wayyyy back) Keegan is unrivalled. The greatest. He stands alone. He has no equals.

The GOAT.
. He could stand in that pack of names no problem and wouldn't look out of place. So why the big hissy fit ffs?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

In hiding

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 10, 2023, 01:48:46 PM

The GOAT.
. He could stand in that pack of names no problem and wouldn't look out of place. So why the big hissy fit ffs?

Keegan is at the same level as those mentioned  imo.

Sure isn't it all about opinions

tonto1888

Quote from: In hiding on January 10, 2023, 01:55:31 PM

The GOAT.

you arent allowed to say "he's the best I've seen." Didnt you know that

Blowitupref

2-4 Lee Keegan scored from play in All-Ireland finals. More than Cillian O'Connor with 0-7. Behind Andy Moran with 1-9.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 10, 2023, 02:00:31 PM
Quote from: In hiding on January 10, 2023, 01:55:31 PM

The GOAT.

you arent allowed to say "he's the best I've seen." Didnt you know that
Don't like getting into the who was better than who but I will say he's probably my favourite non Armagh player ever. Massive loss for Mayo and for GAA fans in general.

trailer

The GOAT.

Every time a player retires someone on this board declares them the greatest ever. All I am asking is for a small bit of perspective. Just take it easy. We don't have to declare every retiree the greatest.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on January 10, 2023, 02:42:11 PM

The GOAT.

Every time a player retires someone on this board declares them the greatest ever. All I am asking is for a small bit of perspective. Just take it easy. We don't have to declare every retiree the greatest.
Murphy and Keegan? Both are up there as all time greats. Not too many fit to lace their boots