Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
9 (47.4%)
?
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Wildweasel74

Roughly how many men are Derry carrying on the panel at present, Dublin looked like 35+ last week.

Derry Optimist

To answer Wildweasel 74's query as to the size of the current Derry panel I reckon  that there are now  around  thirty players at maximum on the squad.  ie if you count the rehabbing Enda Downey plus Mark Doherty, Kevin Johnston and Diarmuid Baker all of whom were on the field with the team and subs before the Dublin game in Celtic Park.

If Derry beat Clare, I would expect that a lot of the current substitutes would get meaningful game time against Cork and that those still eligible at U20 county level would get more training   time with their own age group colleagues. After all that side won the equivalent All Ireland at minor level and should be given a chance to do the same at U20 level. I am referring to Eoin McEvoy, Mark Doherty, Matthew Downey, Niall O'Donnell and Lachlan Murray.

God14

Quote from: Derry Optimist on March 13, 2023, 10:30:16 PM
To answer Wildweasel 74's query as to the size of the current Derry panel I reckon  that there are now  around  thirty players at maximum on the squad.  ie if you count the rehabbing Enda Downey plus Mark Doherty, Kevin Johnston and Diarmuid Baker all of whom were on the field with the team and subs before the Dublin game in Celtic Park.

If Derry beat Clare, I would expect that a lot of the current substitutes would get meaningful game time against Cork and that those still eligible at U20 county level would get more training   time with their own age group colleagues. After all that side won the equivalent All Ireland at minor level and should be given a chance to do the same at U20 level. I am referring to Eoin McEvoy, Mark Doherty, Matthew Downey, Niall O'Donnell and Lachlan Murray.

be interesting to see if thats the case, i would half doubt it

JoG2

Quote from: God14 on March 14, 2023, 08:23:08 AM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on March 13, 2023, 10:30:16 PM

be interesting to see if thats the case, i would half doubt it

Depending on any knocks etc... Fermanagh championship is only 3 weeks after  / 2 weeks if Derry get to the Div 2 final, Gallagher likes a settled team

shawshank

When is the first U20 game in the championship? Its this month?

toby47

Quote from: shawshank on March 15, 2023, 09:24:40 AM
When is the first U20 game in the championship? Its this month?

Is it Wednesday 29th March?

southderryman

Quote from: Silver hill on March 11, 2023, 11:14:17 PM
Sorry, my bad.
It was the Louth game. Squad named on 1st Feb, game was on the 5th, Tohill left the panel on the 8th.
He was fit and available but Gallagher chose to leave him at home.
Roughly translated, surplus to requirements but I'm not going to tell you directly.
Left with no choice.

Not sure of the details or goings on, but tohill was 100% on the bench in ardee. I was standing about 10 feet away from him

toby47

is the League Final going to be Sunday 2nd April?

harryR

Is it true that the dual players in clubs will have something like 35/40 games between league and championship this year in the space of 3/4 months? Surely that's too much for amatuer players no?

toby47

Quote from: harryR on March 22, 2023, 11:05:36 AM
Is it true that the dual players in clubs will have something like 35/40 games between league and championship this year in the space of 3/4 months? Surely that's too much for amatuer players no?

Well there are 13 league games in the football & guaranteed 6 championship group stage games (potential for 3 more- QF/SF & Final) so there's potential for 22 football games. Wouldn't be sure of the furling formats at all.

harryR

Quote from: toby47 on March 22, 2023, 11:20:10 AM

Well there are 13 league games in the football & guaranteed 6 championship group stage games (potential for 3 more- QF/SF & Final) so there's potential for 22 football games. Wouldn't be sure of the furling formats at all.

Hurling has an early season league, an actual league and then group stages for championship which then decides if you're senior, intermediate or junior. Roughly 16/17 games before knockout in championship I think.
Seems it will be Sunday, Wednesday Sunday for the dual players basically every week

Link

Quote from: harryR on March 22, 2023, 11:29:01 AM

Hurling has an early season league, an actual league and then group stages for championship which then decides if you're senior, intermediate or junior. Roughly 16/17 games before knockout in championship I think.
Seems it will be Sunday, Wednesday Sunday for the dual players basically every week

sounds brilliant, much better than training.

toby47

Quote from: Link on March 22, 2023, 11:44:57 AM

I'm all on for games, but 6 championship group stage games is horrendous. Has to be the worst format in Ireland.

harryR

Quote from: Link on March 22, 2023, 11:44:57 AM

Don't get me wrong, matches are exactly what everyone wants. For example someone from slaughtneil who starts for both codes and isn't on either county panel. He will be expected to play Sunday Wednesday Sunday , while also doing the gym work needed and attending football and hurling training during the week, especially in the run up to championship