GPA's latest scam

Started by Eamonnca1, September 12, 2013, 10:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Yes Zulu. The GAA's treatment of players led directly to the creation of a militant group which was designed to stand up for the elite players. The GAA, rather than properly address the concerns which affect *all* their players, simply brought the GPA inside the tent. That made that noise go away, but the result is now a whole swathe of players who are not being properly represented, as you say.

Zulu

The only group that can, and should, look after all players is the GAA and if the club players aren't happy they should do something about it through their clubs. No point in giving out that the GPA aren't looking after everyone when there is already a bigger more powerful organisation that should be doing it.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 22, 2013, 10:20:35 AM
As has been mentioned, the player welfare they are concerned with is inter county player welfare. And if that is their mandate then fair enough but, as I said earlier, who is looking after the club player welfare?

It isn't even about inter-county player welfare its about, elite inter-county player welfare.

When did Dessi issue a statement giving out to the Ulster council about the poor treatment of the Ulster hurling final?

Has he given out that the teams in Div3B only get something like three or four hurling games?

Zulu

QuoteWhen did Dessi issue a statement giving out to the Ulster council about the poor treatment of the Ulster hurling final?

Has he given out that the teams in Div3B only get something like three or four hurling games?

So what? If Dessie Farrell was to comment on every IC issue he'd need his own TV show. The GPA are doing more for every IC player than the GAA ever did.

By the way, what is he meant to say about a provincial final that a provincial council can't seem to fix or lower level hurling teams when 'hurling' counties have less interest? This is just another vain attempt to beat the GPA when the problem is the GAA itself, though I'm not sure there even is a problem regarding division 3B hurling fixtures.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on November 22, 2013, 02:47:19 PM
The only group that can, and should, look after all players is the GAA and if the club players aren't happy they should do something about it through their clubs. No point in giving out that the GPA aren't looking after everyone when there is already a bigger more powerful organisation that should be doing it.

I think you're putting words in my mouth here. I'm not giving out that the GPA aren't doing it. Once you accept that they are all about the 'elite' then they are absolved from blame. It's not their problem. It's up to the GAA as a whole to respond to their requests/demands. But the GAA seems unable or unwilling to oppose the GPA in anything these days.

What I am giving out about is that the GAA have only one players body, and that body represents a very loud lobby on behalf of about 2% of players. But as I say, that's not a gripe with the GPA.

And to suggest that club players across the land mobilise or attempt to beat their own boards individually is a bit disengenous. What would be wrong with another players body sanctioned by the GAA, with representatives from club players across Ireland on the board, who would lobby the GAA for the Club Players needs? I don't think that's an outlandish concept.

Bensars

What are the GPA actually providing to players, that wasnt provided to most teams beforehand ?   ???    Serious question

AZOffaly

I know they have initiatives around education, help with work etc etc. I also know their very presence has probably stopped a few Cork type situations developing over the recent past. I see them more like a watchdog that IC squads are not being abused, and a lobby group for benefits for IC players.

Zulu

Sorry AZ I was underlining my point rather than responding directly to your post so I wasn't attempting to put words in your mouth.

QuoteAnd to suggest that club players across the land mobilise or attempt to beat their own boards individually is a bit disengenous. What would be wrong with another players body sanctioned by the GAA, with representatives from club players across Ireland on the board, who would lobby the GAA for the Club Players needs? I don't think that's an outlandish concept.

I disagree with this however. Your club is meant to represent your view at CB level and if enough clubs believe something then their CB should reflect that at national level and if enough counties share this view then it should come to pass. That it doesn't is your fault and mine, not some evil county manager or self serving elite players. Why did Donegal clubs vote to have no season? Jim McGuinness isn't the bad guy for looking for it, the bad guys are the clubs for voting for it.

Besides, how many club players are there? 200,000 perhaps? You'd need a large very well funded representative body to be able to cater for the varying needs of that many people, think the GPA x 100 I'd say.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 22, 2013, 04:08:27 PM
I know they have initiatives around education, help with work etc etc. I also know their very presence has probably stopped a few Cork type situations developing over the recent past. I see them more like a watchdog that IC squads are not being abused, and a lobby group for benefits for IC players.

They've also done a lot of work on mental health and addiction issues as far as I know. 

AZOffaly

I don't think so. Each county has it's own agenda, such as what happened in Donegal. A body made up of say 60 players, that met once a quarter with a quorum of 40, should be able to create proposals on behalf of all club players around the country, regardless of individual counties.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on November 22, 2013, 04:13:09 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 22, 2013, 04:08:27 PM

They've also done a lot of work on mental health and addiction issues as far as I know.

Correct, the whole Pieta House association with the GPA is quite strong.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 22, 2013, 04:14:33 PM
I don't think so. Each county has it's own agenda, such as what happened in Donegal. A body made up of say 60 players, that met once a quarter with a quorum of 40, should be able to create proposals on behalf of all club players around the country, regardless of individual counties.

Don't think that is realistic. The issues of an intermediate footballer in Waterford would/could be quite different from a hurler in Longford, not to mention the fact that even if you did have some common issues you'd have 32 different CB's to contend with. I'm not saying a GPA for club players is a complete non runner but I don't think it would have any clout and would find itself swamped by various small issues.

Bingo

Ok Zulu - can you give me exactly what the GPA's mandate is? You seem well versed in it.

I can't get my head round the fact that they only represent Intercounty players on intercounty action, when they are been forced to play games day in day out, its not their problem.

Of course this is a GAA problem and only from there can be addressed but you can not argue that the whole structure of the GAA is changing and that the tail is now wagging the dog. As someone very involved at club level, there is a growing bewilderment with the club game and I genuinely feel we are looking at clubs folding in the near future as club players abandone the game. This is based on the length of the club season and the amount of money been sent at the top level. I've been told that the FRC are looking into the calender from a high level source and also that they are fuming with Donegal over this. The next findings of the FRC will be cruical or I do think that CB's will be under severve pressure from clubs.

And I will have no sympathy for the clubs in Donegal should they have a rush of games next October.

Zulu

QuoteOk Zulu - can you give me exactly what the GPA's mandate is? You seem well versed in it.

I don't know Bingo bar looking after and representing the IC player. I doubt anyone knows exactly what their role will be as this is all new for the GAA and the needs of IC players will change as the GAA changes.

QuoteI can't get my head round the fact that they only represent Intercounty players on intercounty action, when they are been forced to play games day in day out, its not their problem.

Forced, how so? As far as I can see IC players are happy to have this daft season.

QuoteOf course this is a GAA problem and only from there can be addressed but you can not argue that the whole structure of the GAA is changing and that the tail is now wagging the dog.

It has always been thus. If we aren't happy with this then we should change it through the clubs and CB's.

QuoteAs someone very involved at club level, there is a growing bewilderment with the club game and I genuinely feel we are looking at clubs folding in the near future as club players abandone the game. This is based on the length of the club season and the amount of money been sent at the top level. I've been told that the FRC are looking into the calender from a high level source and also that they are fuming with Donegal over this. The next findings of the FRC will be cruical or I do think that CB's will be under severve pressure from clubs.

A few years ago I coached my clubs intermediate football team and such was the nature of our 'season' that I'd never do it again. I've argued for many years here that the whole structure of the season needs to be changed, including getting rid of the provincial championships, limiting players to one code and grade. If some or all of these changes were made we could have a decent season for both IC and club players and this is the point, it isn't the GPA or IC managers who are the problem, it's ourselves and if we want to change it we can.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Zulu on November 22, 2013, 04:11:37 PM
Your club is meant to represent your view at CB level and if enough clubs believe something then their CB should reflect that at national level and if enough counties share this view then it should come to pass. That it doesn't is your fault and mine, not some evil county manager or self serving elite players.

In a world where the club had nothing else to do, then this would make sense. However the club is an entity by itself and it has a myriad of issues to worry about - fundraising, underage, sufficient volunteers to keep the show on the road, players, managers, backroom teams....club players are a grouping and a club has to be conscious of so much more.

Basically as a player, senior or junior B, you can bring something to your club but your club has to in turn reflect the views of everyone in the club, not just the exclusively club player. Yes there is a democracy, but there is a fundamental unfairness when one minority group is given direct access to the top table. If a club player in Ferbane GAA has an issue, they can bring it to the committee and try and win approval there, and then it has to be carried through the Offaly CB, and onwards from there. The GPA on the other hand are a group with largely the same agenda, and they've got the ear of the decision makers. Some would say that they've got the decision makers running scared of them.

In theory, it's a democracy - however that's like saying that I have one vote when it comes to the affairs of the country, and so does any single member of Enda Kenny's family. However I think we both know that my voice won't be heard amidst the din of all the others screaming for attention at the same level, while the family member can pull them aside and have their agenda heard at any time.