Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatwillbwillb

Its that fact that no action was taken! MR2 to your credit at least state your position given the opportunity, let's hear from TYRDUB he's normally not shy in posting and giving his comments?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on March 14, 2023, 09:12:54 AM
Its that fact that no action was taken! MR2 to your credit at least state your position given the opportunity, let's hear from TYRDUB he's normally not shy in posting and giving his comments?

On reflection there are times I've probably missed called something, all ref's have, I've even admitted it too  :-[

But its players that create the fouls and for some reason the attention is with the ref?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Tyrdub isn't accountable to Gaaboard. I'm sure if he's seen the video he may have a different opinion but where would we be without refs. Hanging them out to dry here isn't going to help recruitment.

imtommygunn

Exactly BS. Why would he be accountable to a pseudonym on the internet? Not in any way fair and any ref only has one pair of eyes.

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: bannside on March 14, 2023, 11:52:42 AM
Tyrdub isn't accountable to Gaaboard. I'm sure if he's seen the video he may have a different opinion but where would we be without refs. Hanging them out to dry here isn't going to help recruitment.

Fair point Bannside, however as MR2 has been prepared to take the rough with the smooth and credit to him for that, why not TYRBUB seeing as he is fairly active on all other topics on the board? All one can do is ask, if he chooses to be selective then so be it, no drama here.

Sportacus

Sorry to hear about all these injuries.  General point on referees, they are on a hiding to nothing.  If a fella is sent off, then most clubs slip about looking for every trick in the book to get the suspension lifted. Totally undermining the referees authority. Plus most if not all of us have slabbered at refs in the heat of the moment.  Why would anyone sign up to be a ref when it's stacked against you.  So we end up with a very small talent pool. It's a vicious circle as things stand. That's notwithstanding some of our good refs, in it for the right reasons despite the odds and doing a good job. And we wouldn't have competitions only for them. This definitely isn't the place to pick over their decisions.

ck

Quote from: Sportacus on March 14, 2023, 05:01:18 PM
Sorry to hear about all these injuries.  General point on referees, they are on a hiding to nothing.  If a fella is sent off, then most clubs slip about looking for every trick in the book to get the suspension lifted. Totally undermining the referees authority. Plus most if not all of us have slabbered at refs in the heat of the moment.  Why would anyone sign up to be a ref when it's stacked against you.  So we end up with a very small talent pool. It's a vicious circle as things stand. That's notwithstanding some of our good refs, in it for the right reasons despite the odds and doing a good job. And we wouldn't have competitions only for them. This definitely isn't the place to pick over their decisions.

+1
Referees are one of the most undervalued and yet most important groups in the GAA. We're lucky to have them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on March 14, 2023, 11:37:20 PM
Awk now, they're well paid.

Fuel through the roof, tyres not cheap either, probably missing out. But sure some people know better
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2023, 07:18:08 AM

Fuel through the roof, tyres not cheap either, probably missing out. But sure some people know better

I imagine that was tongue in cheek
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 15, 2023, 07:35:17 AM

So was mine ;)

toby47

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2023, 08:16:16 AM

So was mine ;)

MR2 what way does it work, do reffs get a set fee for the match then mileage? Cheque monthly?

Fair play to ye's BTW, I honestly couldn't ever do it myself.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: toby47 on March 15, 2023, 09:14:18 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2023, 08:16:16 AM

So was mine ;)

MR2 what way does it work, do reffs get a set fee for the match then mileage? Cheque monthly?

Fair play to ye's BTW, I honestly couldn't ever do it myself.

Expenses twice a year, ye ain't making money but you are certainly working for it..

The one thing I would say about refereeing, not everyone is cut out for it and that's fine, not sure what the uptake was this year, but wouldn't be many, as some only last a year or so before say "feck that for a game of darts"

4 games a week is around 15 miles or more running for me, keeping fit and being involved  in games after playing for so long fills a void

BrendanAntrim

Interesting. Do you record the movement, that would make an interesting strava snapshot

NatSoSaff

Fair play to you MR2. Despite the slagging and banter on here and elsewhere, I'm pretty sure 99.9% of people reflect and are grateful for the contribution you men make to the games.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on March 15, 2023, 10:15:20 AM
Interesting. Do you record the movement, that would make an interesting strata snapshot

I do, I'm sure a lot of the 'better' referees do also. Hurling generally over 4 miles football used to be over that amount but recently due to the style of it thats dropped to around (for me) 3.7 in the main

Not surprisingly that minor games or under 16 games in football I cover more distance, tells ya ll ya need to know lol