Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myball22

Are you sure it wasn't the Mayo fans jeering McDonald? That's happened too.  :P

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 24, 2009, 09:43:44 AM
QuoteSalthill is a disaster for a match - getting there, getting back, and while there.
Regardless of where the game is or the opposition I expect Mayo to win. The league win over Galway was very significant for both teams in terms of the direction they are going this year.

People are certainly reading a lot into that match but sure we'll see. We'll tog out anyway.

Tatler Jack

QuotePeople are certainly reading a lot into that match but sure we'll see. We'll tog out anyway

Yep - better fulfill the fixture. I saw that result as significant and Galway's subsequent failure to  reach the league final which I think was what they were aiming at. Will probably have a better idea after Sunday in terms of where Galway are at this year - I am not writing off Sligo's chances.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 24, 2009, 02:04:09 PM
QuotePeople are certainly reading a lot into that match but sure we'll see. We'll tog out anyway
Will probably have a better idea after Sunday in terms of where Galway are at this year - I am not writing off Sligo's chances.

I just thought, wouldnt this thread be great motivation for Sligo against Galway? Everyone writing Sligo off and Galway thinking they should walk it... It will be interesting to see if an upset is on the cards

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 24, 2009, 02:21:58 PM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 24, 2009, 02:04:09 PM
Will probably have a better idea after Sunday in terms of where Galway are at this year - I am not writing off Sligo's chances.

I just thought, wouldnt this thread be great motivation for Sligo against Galway? Everyone writing Sligo off and Galway thinking they should walk it...

No need to be making stuff up now. I haven't seen any evidence of that at all.

Barney

QuoteNo need to be making stuff up now. I haven't seen any evidence of that at all.

QuotePosted by: GalwayBayBoy 
Insert Quote
Quote from: Tatler Jack on Today at 09:43:44 AM
Salthill is a disaster for a match - getting there, getting back, and while there.
Regardless of where the game is or the opposition I expect Mayo to win. The league win over Galway was very significant for both teams in terms of the direction they are going this year.

People are certainly reading a lot into that match but sure we'll see. We'll tog out anyway.

;D

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Barney on June 24, 2009, 02:39:29 PM
QuoteNo need to be making stuff up now. I haven't seen any evidence of that at all.

QuotePosted by: GalwayBayBoy 
Insert Quote
Quote from: Tatler Jack on Today at 09:43:44 AM
Salthill is a disaster for a match - getting there, getting back, and while there.

;D

Was referring to our next game to honest.

mannix

well at least it looks like mayo could put up a fight this year, last year mort the younger was thrown into the goal netting by ryam mcmenimen, nobody on the team said or done anything, now if steven o neill was treated like that what would happen to our aggressor?
i think galway will beat sligo but not by a lot, sligo had a good league and must be motivated, its not enough though i reckon.

mouview

Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 24, 2009, 09:43:44 AM
QuoteSalthill is a disaster for a match - getting there, getting back, and while there.

Oh for the days when Tuam was the epicentre of Galway football. Are there any plans to develop the grounds there.

Regardless of where the game is or the opposition I expect Mayo to win. The league win over Galway was very significant for both teams in terms of the direction they are going this year. If the CF is v Sligo would also expect them to carry way to much power for the Yeats men.

Ahem ....  epicentre of *Connacht* football ..ahem..!

Mayo people may be looking forward to the Connacht final (aka Mayo All-Ireland final); for Galwegians it's just another step on the road towards greater things hopefully. The Tribesmen regard Mayo with the same wry amusement as a hardened sixth class lad would look down on an uppity upwardly-mobile garsun from third class. I guess if/when Mayo play in Pearse stadium it will be akin to when MU play in London - a home tie away from home. The few bob ye bring in will be helpful to the local economy though.

;) ;) :D :D

mannix

i suppose mouview that would mean that kilkenny hurlers and the kerry footballers would be in the leaving cert of your world.
sixth class, indeed.

galwayman

Being completely honest - I don't see Galway doing anything this year. I have been at most of our games this year and I just haven't seen any evidence that we'll be in the mix this year.
If we get past Sligo (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was an upset in Markievicz Park on Sunday) I can't see us troubling Mayo.
True - we have a decent record in Pearse against them but I don't read too much into games in previous years.
Mayo will certainly be very motivated having lost to us for the last 2 years.
I can see our midfield being cleaned out. I reckon McGarrity would completely dominate the midfield as we just don't have any ball consistent ball winners there. Bary Cullinane is the only player we have capable of winning clean possession but he is horrendously inconsistent. He will catch everything one day (ala the FBD final v Ros in Tuam this year) and then the next will be substituted having played poorly.
The other players we have around the middle of the park lack the physique to win primary possession.
Along with this - we just don't have the forwards to support Michael Meehan. It is obvious that every team we play will be working overtime to shut Meehan down. While this may result in extra space for other players to do their stuff - we don't have lads capable of taking advantage of this. If we had then we could have beaten Kerry last year - if even one other forward had stepped up to the plate in the 2nd half of that game it could well have been won.
Instead we rely on hard working players like Fiachra Breathnach who just aren't good enough to get the necessary scores.
Padraic Joyce doesn't get many scores from play anymore, Nicky is off the panel and Armstrong and Bane blow hot and cold.
That doesn't leave us with much else which is why I believe we won't go far this year.

rosnarun

Quote from: mannix on June 24, 2009, 04:42:06 PM
well at least it looks like mayo could put up a fight this year, last year mort the younger was thrown into the goal netting by ryam mcmenimen, nobody on the team said or done anything, now if steven o neill was treated like that what would happen to our aggressor?
i think galway will beat sligo but not by a lot, sligo had a good league and must be motivated, its not enough though i reckon.
no mayo have never played like that  and rightly so. with the exception of Versus meath 96 where there was extreme provocation ,. Galway for the last 3 or 4 years have obviously targeted this as an area to go at mayo, nut mayo have risen above such gobshitery and long may they continue to do so if we did we'd be no better than our northern brothers
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 24, 2009, 11:58:44 AM
By the way did anyone else hear that Paraic Joyce has retired from Inter County football?

Its true.....

I hope not. For my money JOM has a point in leaving MacDanger off the team (not the panel), when he is on the pitch everyhting goes thru him and it slows it down unbelieveably, but there is a case for having a steady head on the bench but for another discussion. I think its the same with Galway, everything goes thru him and it slows it down, esp when  could be thru meehan.

Would love to see sligo beat galway on sunday, but dont think it will happen
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stephenite

Quote from: Barney on June 24, 2009, 08:18:33 AM
Not impressed Stephenite  :o

This married lark has messed you up son, we were 4 days waiting for you to start this thread after the semi. If you're not going apply yourself properly someone else has to do it for you. Let this be a warning

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: galwayman on June 24, 2009, 10:20:56 PM
Being completely honest - I don't see Galway doing anything this year. I have been at most of our games this year and I just haven't seen any evidence that we'll be in the mix this year.
If we get past Sligo (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was an upset in Markievicz Park on Sunday) I can't see us troubling Mayo.
True - we have a decent record in Pearse against them but I don't read too much into games in previous years.
Mayo will certainly be very motivated having lost to us for the last 2 years.
I can see our midfield being cleaned out. I reckon McGarrity would completely dominate the midfield as we just don't have any ball consistent ball winners there. Bary Cullinane is the only player we have capable of winning clean possession but he is horrendously inconsistent. He will catch everything one day (ala the FBD final v Ros in Tuam this year) and then the next will be substituted having played poorly.
The other players we have around the middle of the park lack the physique to win primary possession.
Along with this - we just don't have the forwards to support Michael Meehan. It is obvious that every team we play will be working overtime to shut Meehan down. While this may result in extra space for other players to do their stuff - we don't have lads capable of taking advantage of this. If we had then we could have beaten Kerry last year - if even one other forward had stepped up to the plate in the 2nd half of that game it could well have been won.

Cute Galway hoors! If ye get to the final i'm sure that ye will be that poor all right!! maybe your right but when ever have Galway been easy for us in any game down through the years.
Instead we rely on hard working players like Fiachra Breathnach who just aren't good enough to get the necessary scores.
Padraic Joyce doesn't get many scores from play anymore, Nicky is off the panel and Armstrong and Bane blow hot and cold.
That doesn't leave us with much else which is why I believe we won't go far this year.