Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 25, 2019, 10:36:20 PM
Just gave my opinion chief. You're quoting a pretty extreme show there but as with all shows of that nature the bigot was always the idiot and the joke was always on him.

Granted but  while the DUP would push us down the puritanical road here if they could, i'm not sure how that applies to the current offerings of sitcoms?  Most are full of coming of  age sexual frustration humour and fewer cheap casual racism jokes like we had in the past which can only be a good thing in my book?

Dougal Maguire

To be honest I don't know what sitcoms are even on nowadays. The Inbetweeners would be the last thing I watched.
Careful now

Over the Bar

Quote from: Boycey on January 25, 2019, 10:48:11 PM
Alf Garnett was a bigot but he was brilliantly funny...

Yes a brilliant parody of the typical racist views in the 60s through to 80s.  Sadly Nigel Farage and Sammy Wilson see Alf's views as being essentially right, not an extremist parody character.

J70

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 25, 2019, 10:36:20 PM
Just gave my opinion chief. You're quoting a pretty extreme show there but as with all shows of that nature the bigot was always the idiot and the joke was always on him.

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, I'm glad to see bigotry become increasingly unacceptable. On the other, Blazing Saddles is one of the greatest comedies ever, partly for the very reasons you outline. However, maybe there was a need for those types of comedies back then, for the very purpose of exposing the moral and intellectual void behind bigotry and racism.

BennyCake

But wasn't 'Love Thy Neighbour' a two way thing? Both calling each other all sorts?

I mean, a fella I know works with a Protestant lad, and he calls him an orange bastard and he's called a Fenian **** and the likes. It's all taken in good humour. And they find any excuse to get at the other. So, is that sectarian? If the two lads are fine with it?

Harold Disgracey

Comedian Jeremy Hardy, aged 57. A very funny and socially aware man. I met him once at a fundraiser for the Robert Hamill campaign in a community centre in Portadown.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/01/comedian-jeremy-hardy-dies-of-cancer-aged-57?CMP=fb_gu

ziggysego

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on February 01, 2019, 10:13:46 AM
Comedian Jeremy Hardy, aged 57. A very funny and socially aware man. I met him once at a fundraiser for the Robert Hamill campaign in a community centre in Portadown.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/01/comedian-jeremy-hardy-dies-of-cancer-aged-57?CMP=fb_gu

Saw him live at Beltham Green in London. A brilliant comedian and he was always a highlight when you knew he was going to be on BBC Radio 4's The News Quiz.
Testing Accessibility

mrdeeds

Clive Swift from Keeping Up Appearances.

ziggysego

Dick Miller, 'Gremlins' and 'Terminator' Actor, Dies at 90.
Testing Accessibility

Cunny Funt

Confirmed tonight. Emiliano Sala RIP.

mouview

Actor Albert Finney. Often better than the films he appeared in.

laoislad

Arthur Murphy from Mailbag.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Insane Bolt

AZOffaly

Ah no. What a save that was from Pele that time. RIP.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2019, 11:14:35 AM
Ah no. What a save that was from Pele that time. RIP.

First thing that came into my head. RIP.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...