Club Scene - what is the story in other counties?

Started by The Trap, March 18, 2013, 09:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

I thought the club football final yesterday was terrific entertainment, full of honest endeavour and great scores. I must admit that i much prefer club football to county football, think its the innocence of it all.......county football has become so professional!
In Tyrone club football seems to have slipped so much down the radar of the county board that they seem to view it as an afterthought and that it gets in the way of preparing county teams.
My own club has players on the county minor, U21 and senior squads. You would think that would be great but now it seems that they can no longer play for the club unless they get permission from the county manager to do so. The minors have been told that they cannot train with any club teams (not even their own age level) but they may play in minor league games. The under 21s cannot train with the club or play in pre season games. The seniors cannot train or play with the club.
Its now the middle of March, yet we dont know when or who we play in any fixture this year. How is anyone supposed to plan a weekend away or a holiday? Nobody on the county board seems to care. I mean the seniors are doing well in the league and the U21s are expected to do well, how can a club game be fitted in?
People are saying emmigration is a massive threat to club teams but for me it is the lack of club games and the focus now switching almost exclusively to county football that is the biggest threat to the GAA.
Is this happening in other counties or do we have it really bad in Tyrone?

Syferus

There's nothing innocent about the top club sides but I agree to a degree, there are few things more enjoyable than a well played club game. Here Brigids are obviously a class apart but there's a logic clubs with talented underage cores that should raise the overall standard of play considerably in the county in the years to come. The league usually starts in late Feb/March but with so many Sigerson and underage players these days the early parts aren't up to much for most of the top teams. If anything the timing makes them a health hazard for our underage players.

Number of games aren't the big problem, it's the changeable schedule enforced by poor management of the intercounty games.

DownFanatic

Lack of games is my worry at the moment in Down. Our leagues have been restructured this year and my own club might only potentially have 18 games in total (league and championship).
I consider the playing season to have a 31 week window (start of April until end of October). There's definitely room for more fixtures.
The ridiculous thing is that the clubs in Down voted for these new proposals to go through.

rodney trotter

More games this year in the League in Cavan. 18 games for each division. Every teams plays each other twice, home/away. League began in Feburay.

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 18, 2013, 11:20:14 PM
More games this year in the League in Cavan. 18 games for each division. Every teams plays each other twice, home/away. League began in Feburay.

Would an early start to the club season be the norm in Cavan?

Armagh this year are opting for 4 divisions. Senior league of 16 teams who play each other just once, Intermediate league likewise. Junior A has 9 teams who play each other twice and Junior B has 8 teams who play each other twice.

Jinxy

Quote from: The Trap on March 18, 2013, 09:50:44 PM
I must admit that i much prefer club football to county football, think its the innocence of it all.......county football has become so professional!

You'd love our club championship.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on March 18, 2013, 11:33:49 PM

Armagh this year are opting for 4 divisions. Senior league of 16 teams who play each other just once, Intermediate league likewise. Junior A has 9 teams who play each other twice and Junior B has 8 teams who play each other twice.

It started last year in Feburay aswell. Other years it started in March, but no later than that.

They changed the format of the leagues this year, Division 1 was split into Divison 1A&B. Ten teams in each Division. Then Division 2 and 3, also with ten teams. All playing each other home/away. 40 clubs in Cavan,

Division 1 b, is made up of Senior Championship teams and intermediate teams.

The reserve leaguep's follow the same home/away format aswell.

Celt_Man

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 19, 2013, 12:10:13 AM
Quote from: ranch on March 18, 2013, 11:33:49 PM

It started last year in Feburay aswell. Other years it started in March, but no later than that.

They changed the format of the leagues this year, Division 1 was split into Divison 1A&B. Ten teams in each Division. Then Division 2 and 3, also with ten teams. All playing each other home/away. 40 clubs in Cavan,

Division 1 b, is made up of Senior Championship teams and intermediate teams.

The reserve leaguep's follow the same home/away format aswell.

Plus Cavan Gaels second team so thats 41 teams in the 4 divisions - there are 11 teams in Division 3 so they have 20 games

Reserve teams will only play 12 games this season but have a backdoor in their Championship
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

qubdub

Was having a debate there with a few peers the other day and we were discussing which clubs were the most remote/out of the way/in the sticks/furthest from civilisation in each county. What club involves the most travel, hardest to access and generally out of the way from main towns etc. we reckon in Armagh Maghery and Sarsfields although not too hard to find are long treks, our Tyrone companion says he's never been to Aghyaran let alone knows how to get there.

Hardy

That's so far out of the way I don't even know how to pronounce it.

theticklemister

Quote from: qubdub on March 19, 2013, 05:14:55 PM
Was having a debate there with a few peers the other day and we were discussing which clubs were the most remote/out of the way/in the sticks/furthest from civilisation in each county. What club involves the most travel, hardest to access and generally out of the way from main towns etc. we reckon in Armagh Maghery and Sarsfields although not too hard to find are long treks, our Tyrone companion says he's never been to Aghyaran let alone knows how to get there.

Newbuildings GAC is a hell of a place to find I tell ye.

rodney trotter

Corlough in Cavan, not the easiest pitch to find.. Shannon Gaels is a long trek

Farrandeelin

Belmullet from anywhere in Mayo is a long spin.

Our county leagues haven't started in Mayo yet. The club season seems to be hanging in the balance that Mayo will qualify for the All-Ireland series through the front door this year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

theticklemister

Looking forward to go to the Isle of Man to play a league game against Ellan Vannin Gaels in June!! Now there is a trip and a half!

Jinxy

Quote from: qubdub on March 19, 2013, 05:14:55 PM

I think you need a magic wardrobe.
If you were any use you'd be playing.