Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

longballin

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 14, 2018, 11:13:44 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 14, 2018, 11:08:39 PM
Nolan you are a t**ser.

Putting it up to Dromore diocese and Colman's again and they have played into his hands by making bland statements in the hope it will go away. 

BTW Martin O'Brien well fit for Nolan while McCann is in his element.

Man in audience called out O'Brien, came across as an apologist for church.

Targetman

Canons Brown and Stevenson on Nolan's radar now

stiffler

I see on the news another ex st Colmans teacher Patrick carton was found guilty of indecent assaults on students on occasions as recently as 2007.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

dec

Quote from: stiffler on March 22, 2018, 06:19:00 PM
I see on the news another ex st Colmans teacher Patrick carton was found guilty of indecent assaults on students on occasions as recently as 2007.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43500697

Owen Brannigan

Conor Murphy comes forward to tell his story about Finnegan in St Colman's:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/sinn-feins-conor-murphy-speaks-about-abuse-at-the-hands-of-fr-finnegan-36735012.html

Then he uses the interview to call out those who taught in the school, managed the school, inspected the school and those in a position of power for not doing anything about Finnegan or his legacy. 

Seemed to miss the point that he was in a position of power for the last twenty years as an MLA, MP and Minister in the assembly and didn't ask any of his colleagues to step forward with an inquiry into clerical abuse or abuse in schools to run along side the inquiry into abuse of those in institutional homes.

Then Paul Quinn's family heard his interview and didn't miss in their criticism.

https://twitter.com/breegequinn?lang=en

Owen Brannigan

Pope has achieved Bishop McAreavey's resignation and appointed another former bishop to stand in for him until a replacement is appointed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43542915

dec

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43548304
"The police have set up a dedicated team to investigate the circumstances of the child abuse carried out by the late paedophile priest, Fr Malachy Finegan...The investigation has several aims, including establishing when the authorities first became aware of the abuse allegations, what information was reported to police and what action was taken to protect children and young people at that time. Officers also want to find out if past pupils from St Colman's College were abused by anyone other than Fr Finegan during his 20-year tenure at the Catholic grammar school. The PSNI said the team would try to establish if there was any "living offender" and "take action" against them."

Widening the scope beyond Finnegan is probably a good idea. However if they are widening the scope I don't think it should be restricted to just St. Colman's.

Applesisapples

I have to say I am uncomfortable with what is becoming a bit of a witch hunt against St Colman's, relying on memories from 35/40 years ago. It is also not appropriate to judge historic events by todays standards. I have no doubt that Finnegan was guilty of abuse, but the wee spread use of violence that is being insinuated is not how I remember it.

longballin

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 28, 2018, 09:46:37 AM
I have to say I am uncomfortable with what is becoming a bit of a witch hunt against St Colman's, relying on memories from 35/40 years ago. It is also not appropriate to judge historic events by todays standards. I have no doubt that Finnegan was guilty of abuse, but the wee spread use of violence that is being insinuated is not how I remember it.

Not sure what age you are but memories of 35/40 years ago are very vivid. Isn't that long ago to remember especially for events so traumatic... needs to be taken out by the roots.

brokencrossbar1

It might not be how you recall it but it seems to be the abiding memory of many. The attitude that you have expressed there is one of the reasons why abuse was allowed to continue because people were 'uncomfortable ' about speaking up. I know I was in the Abbey and am probably about 10 years to young to have witnessed much physical abuse but I know it happened from talking to lads who were at the school and they also have spoken of the stories coming from Violet Hill. If it happened, which it seems to have, then don't hide behind legalise and take it on the chin. I would say the same if the same stories came out about the Abbey.

Applesisapples

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 28, 2018, 09:55:41 AM

It might not be how you recall it but it seems to be the abiding memory of many. The attitude that you have expressed there is one of the reasons why abuse was allowed to continue because people were 'uncomfortable ' about speaking up. I know I was in the Abbey and am probably about 10 years to young to have witnessed much physical abuse but I know it happened from talking to lads who were at the school and they also have spoken of the stories coming from Violet Hill. If it happened, which it seems to have, then don't hide behind legalise and take it on the chin. I would say the same if the same stories came out about the Abbey.
I am not saying that there was no corporal punishment, there was, and I witnessed the same guy get a whack around the ear by two different teachers. both lay men. I did not witness the wide spread violence that is being portrayed. I do not doubt that Finnegan abused. He was an uncouth drunken embarrassment to any profession let alone the priesthood. I also am aware that he asked inappropriate questions of boys, obviously in grooming mode, and I would say given his drunkeness he most likely dished out beatings. All I'm saying is in 7 years I did not witness violence on the scale now being alleged. The school community was such that it would have been well known. That said by the standards of today a lot of the corporal punishment would not be acceptable. Certainly even 10 years ago when my kids were in secondary education I would not have tolerated anyone hitting them in any way. My da's attitude would have been you must have done something to deserve it.

AZOffaly

Wasn't corporal punishment basically de rigueur in the 80s and 90s? I would never have connected that with 'abuse' which is much more insidious. Certainly in our school we got regular clippings, but generally we deserved it and there was no hard feelings afterwards.

longballin

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2018, 11:55:52 AM
Wasn't corporal punishment basically de rigueur in the 80s and 90s? I would never have connected that with 'abuse' which is much more insidious. Certainly in our school we got regular clippings, but generally we deserved it and there was no hard feelings afterwards.

There were severe beatings dished out by mad men which was way beyond so-called 'corporal punishment.' As for deserving it, any adult who hits a child is a coward and would shit himself if confronted by an adult.