Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Muck Savage

The seeds of that performance were planted over the last 5-6 years, so I wasn't that surprised or disappointed. However it shows how far United have to go before they can get back to winning titles, they simply were not at the same level. While the managers since SAF have had helped to drag the squad down Woodward has shown he's completely crap in the market. The sooner he is removed from a role connected with the playing side of the club the better.
United really only have about 6 top class players with 2-3 more that have some potential. Players like  Mata, Young, Jones, Darmian, Smalling, Sanchez, Ferd, Rojo, Valencia, Pereria all need to see the road. They need to start to build a team around De Gea, Shaw, Lindelof, Pogba, Rashford and Martial.
The last few months were great to see United playing attacking football again but they have a long way to go before they can challenge for a title. The biggest doubt will be around their transfer business this summer.  Will Woodward stay out of it and can OGS pick the right players to come in.

AZOffaly

Lads, United are not that far away at all. Get rid of Young, maybe Matic, and add a bit of depth around the squad for midfield and the wide positions. 11 on 11, United have a very decent team.

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2019, 05:46:10 PM
Lads, United are not that far away at all. Get rid of Young, maybe Matic, and add a bit of depth around the squad for midfield and the wide positions. 11 on 11, United have a very decent team.

Amen.. There's always a hysterical overreaction both good and bad to United performances

The only worry I'd have is that Solskjaers promising start will seduce the owners into thinking that major investment isn't needed.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on February 13, 2019, 07:15:52 PM

Amen.. There's always a hysterical overreaction both good and bad to United performances

The only worry I'd have is that Solskjaers promising start will seduce the owners into thinking that major investment isn't needed.

That's the silver lining on last night's painful cloud. It's clear investment is needed.

And you're right - terrible overreaction to last night but that's the world we live in. Several of the players are adequate squad players but United need a few more top players as starters to compliment hwat's there already. The squad is big but there are too many "squad players" and not enough top line players. Makes rotation almost impossible, or extremely risky.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 12, 2019, 09:52:18 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 12, 2019, 09:20:03 PM
United fans throwing beer bottles....tut tut.
Terrible behaviour to be condemned. Dropped any paving slabs on waiters heads recently yourselves?

For the sake of balance seeing as there was some genuine concern here

https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1095709802490183680

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/man-united-s-class-of-92-coach-eric-harrison-dies-aged-81-1.3793627
Man United's Class of 92 coach Eric Harrison dies aged 81

Eric Harrison, the coach credited with producing Manchester United's famous Class of 92 youth side, has died at the age of 81.
News of his death was confirmed on Thursday by United, where Harrison spent 17 years as a youth team coach after moving from Everton in 1981.
"Manchester United is extremely saddened to report that our former youth coach Eric Harrison passed away on Wednesday," the club said. "Eric served United with distinction as a mentor of young players, including a number of prodigies who achieved great success with club and country after graduating to the first team at Old Trafford."
Harrison, who played as a wing-half for Halifax and Hartlepool before turning to coaching on his retirement in 1972, was responsible for producing the group of players who were originally known as "Fergie's Fledglings", including David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes, who went on to play for the first team under Alex Ferguson.
Neville wrote on Twitter: "We've lost our mentor, our coach and the man who made us. He taught us how to play, how to never give up, how important it was to win your individual battles and what we needed to do to play for Manchester United Football Club. Eric we owe you everything."
In 2017, when Harrison was awarded an MBE for his services to football, Ferguson said: "If you wanted a teacher who would give you the right way forward, the right path, Eric was that man. He was fantastic in his time at United. When I came in as manager, I decided to keep him on the coaching staff. As I got to know him and the work he was doing, I realised it was a great decision."

In a statement released on Thursday, Ferguson paid tribute to his long-serving member of staff. "Eric's contribution to football and not just at Manchester United was incredible," he said. "When I came as manager I was lucky enough to have Eric on the staff as head of youth development, so I got to see the work he did and not just with the Class of 92 but with all the young players.

He built character and determination in those young players and prepared them for the future. He was a teacher, he gave these players a path, a choice and he only did that through his own hard work and sacrifice.
"He was able to impart that education to the young which made him one of the greatest coaches of our time. On a personal level Eric had a wicked, dry sense of humour and was straight-talking and I admired that in him."
Beckham paid tribute to Harrison. "He was always watching and always with us every time we played, I can still hear him telling me NO MORE HOLLYWOOD PASSES," he wrote on Instagram.
"I can still see him as we played on The Cliff training ground looking down on us either with a proud smile or a loud bang of his fist on the window knowing any minute he would be on his way down to probably advise me in the most polite way to stop playing those passes.
"More importantly he made us understand how to work hard and respect each other and not just on the pitch. We won't forget the life lessons he gave us."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 13, 2019, 10:52:15 PM

That's the silver lining on last night's painful cloud. It's clear investment is needed.

And you're right - terrible overreaction to last night but that's the world we live in. Several of the players are adequate squad players but United need a few more top players as starters to compliment hwat's there already. The squad is big but there are too many "squad players" and not enough top line players. Makes rotation almost impossible, or extremely risky.

Agree with all the above, United just need a bit more quality in a few more areas but aren't a million miles away from the top teams. PSG have been knocking on the door for several years too and accumulated a lot of experience through many painful defeats.

Sanchez looks finished but its going to be difficult to get rid of him given his wages; Lukaku won't be happy playing second fiddle to Rashford, I think he'll look for a move this summer judging by the type of character I think he has.

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 14, 2019, 12:12:36 PM

Agree with all the above, United just need a bit more quality in a few more areas but aren't a million miles away from the top teams. PSG have been knocking on the door for several years too and accumulated a lot of experience through many painful defeats.

Sanchez looks finished but its going to be difficult to get rid of him given his wages; Lukaku won't be happy playing second fiddle to Rashford, I think he'll look for a move this summer judging by the type of character I think he has.

I think most United fans would be in agreement with most or all of this. The over reaction always comes from outside and that is just the nature of being the club they are.

To be fair I thought Matic in the early stages of the game looked as sharp as he has ever done in a United shirt, he did fade though. OGS does not appear to be anyone's fool so he will be aware of the limitations of the squad and will have a plan as to who and where to strengthen. It will be up to the board to decide whether he is the man to take them forward.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: NAG1 on February 14, 2019, 12:24:52 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 14, 2019, 12:12:36 PM

I think most United fans would be in agreement with most or all of this. The over reaction always comes from outside and that is just the nature of being the club they are.

To be fair I thought Matic in the early stages of the game looked as sharp as he has ever done in a United shirt, he did fade though. OGS does not appear to be anyone's fool so he will be aware of the limitations of the squad and will have a plan as to who and where to strengthen. It will be up to the board to decide whether he is the man to take them forward.

I agree with most of above. I think OGS will get the job full time unless the wheels come off badly in the next 2 months. Squad wise i'd say there's 2 positions in urgent need of addressing - centre half and a right back. Upfront I think there'll be changes with Sanchez and Lukaku (and Mata) not fitting the OGS way of playing - will one or all be offloaded at a loss to reduce the wage bill and bring another in as well as maybe some youth players (next year could be too early for them). They're definitely a man short in midfield too but it depends if Fred is out or given a chance to redeem himself after a very poor start.

Even with the defeat it felt better than if we had of had Feilini and McTominay in midfield. Onwards and upwards

From the Bunker

I though OGS look terrified on Tuesday night before the game. There was a look of the inevitable on his face. Thought Utd did well in the 1st half and thought they looked scared in the 2nd. Not sure how this will effect things going into the future. Still think they will do ok in the Premier League and should finish in the top 4. The Chelsea FA Cup game is anybody's guess. It will depend on which Chelsea team turns up. I expect Utd to have a right go at home to Liverpool. That will have a Cup final feel! In a months time on the 16th March after Man U have played Chelsea, PSG, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City. One can make up their mind as to where Utd are.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2019, 02:40:53 PM
I though OGS look terrified on Tuesday night before the game. There was a look of the inevitable on his face. Thought Utd did well in the 1st half and thought they looked scared in the 2nd. Not sure how this will effect things going into the future. Still think they will do ok in the Premier League and should finish in the top 4. The Chelsea FA Cup game is anybody's guess. It will depend on which Chelsea team turns up. I expect Utd to have a right go at home to Liverpool. That will have a Cup final feel! In a months time on the 16th March after Man U have played Chelsea, PSG, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City. One can make up their mind as to where Utd are.

Injuries could totally derail where United are and where they want to be. At the moment United's replacements only weaken the team. Mata no longer has the legs and playing on the wing only exposes Young more. Sanchez,Lukaku are offering nothing and Ole would be better off giving Chong and Mason Greenwood a run out. The board refusing to buy anyone in the latest transfer window could prove to be another error as injuries was always sure to happen.

RIP Eric Harrison. I see in the last few years of his life he had dementia, my late dad had that also so i know full well what the Harrison family would have went through there.

Jeepers Creepers

There was no plan B. When PSG were really going for it 10 minutes either side of the goals you could see he was troubled as what to do. I will put this down to lack of squad depth.
McManaman made the point that once Martial & Lingarrd went off PSG knew there as no pace to get in behide them which allowed them to attack in numbers.
In Fairness the whole PSG team really put in a shift, great balance in their team and looked like they had a point to prove.
Utd have done well in climbing back up the table so losing to PSG who have been gunning for the Champions League for the past number of years aint that big a deal at the moment IMO.
The injuires are the big concearn for the upcomming english domestic league & cup ties.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on February 14, 2019, 03:23:15 PM
There was no plan B. When PSG were really going for it 10 minutes either side of the goals you could see he was troubled as what to do. I will put this down to lack of squad depth.
McManaman made the point that once Martial & Lingarrd went off PSG knew there as no pace to get in behide them which allowed them to attack in numbers.
In Fairness the whole PSG team really put in a shift, great balance in their team and looked like they had a point to prove.
Utd have done well in climbing back up the table so losing to PSG who have been gunning for the Champions League for the past number of years aint that big a deal at the moment IMO.
The injuires are the big concearn for the upcomming english domestic league & cup ties.

He's not been with the group long enough to properly implement a plan b.

United need PSG to not perform like they did and a bit if luck to get through especially when you consider how well PSG played. Losing 2 players through injury before half time and then the referee's failure to send off their centre half twice was clearly very unlucky.

Boycey

Martial and Lingard out for 2/3 weeks, gonna have to find a plan b as it's hard to see the players on the squad that can play the way he's been playing. Unless Lukaku on the right of Rashford, it's a role he's had success in for Belgium or even Sanchez central with Rashford and Lukaku flanking him..