Mayo v Donegal, Elverys McHale Park, Aug 03, 6pm

Started by highorlow, July 22, 2019, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Should say the intensity in the first half was outstanding, ferocious tackling, they'll need that in spades next week
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

BennyCake

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 03, 2019, 08:36:45 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 03, 2019, 08:20:33 PM
Right Mayo, you better go on and win this feckin' thing now.

Mayo would remind you of Offaly 1982 history to repeat itself?

Donegal were rubbish on evening when they were meant to prove themselves as top 5 team. Most of their youngish players looked lost when Murphy had probably his worse game all summer. They now depart this championship with more questions than answers.

Was thinking that myself.

You get the feeling it's now or never. Although we say that most years.

SkillfulBill

Not one for stating the obvious  by just read Peter Canavans article  in the Belfast Telegraph on Friday this man was probably the greatest footballer of his age and possibly of any age but his football  commentary is right up there with his article "Why Mayo can Defy all logic and progress to semi final" I have been around football for 40 years and played against the errigal man a good few times but his call on Mayo was one of his best.

Dinny Breen

Thought the 5 mins of cynicism by Mayo after the Donegal was beautifully done. Time wasting per excellence. Nullified any potential momentum & energy Donegal could have got from the goal.
#newbridgeornowhere

Erne Man

Terrible night for Donegal - but their generally young squad should learn plenty from tonight. Lads like Brennan, Langan etc who were ripping it up in Ulster really struggled with the pace and intensity from Mayo.
As for Mayo the show rolls on - as expected a team full of character with  guts in bucketfuls, some great individual performances - but still let a vastly inferior Donegal team on the night, nearly claw  their way back into the game. Durcan was simply immense - and how he wasn't MOTM is beyond me.
It is shambolic that they will have 6days to prepare themselves to face Dublin - as another week would surely have set up another massive struggle between the 2.
If the curtain falls for a lot of this great team next week, I've no doubt it will be with the same hard nosed belligerence that has typified their efforts over the last 7yrs.
Every Mayo person should be detouring via Knock tonight - one big Novena for a Tyrone win tomorrow!

Itchy

Quote from: Erne Man on August 03, 2019, 10:19:51 PM
Terrible night for Donegal - but their generally young squad should learn plenty from tonight. Lads like Brennan, Langan etc who were ripping it up in Ulster really struggled with the pace and intensity from Mayo.
As for Mayo the show rolls on - as expected a team full of character with  guts in bucketfuls, some great individual performances - but still let a vastly inferior Donegal team on the night, nearly claw  their way back into the game. Durcan was simply immense - and how he wasn't MOTM is beyond me.
It is shambolic that they will have 6days to prepare themselves to face Dublin - as another week would surely have set up another massive struggle between the 2.
If the curtain falls for a lot of this great team next week, I've no doubt it will be with the same hard nosed belligerence that has typified their efforts over the last 7yrs.
Every Mayo person should be detouring via Knock tonight - one big Novena for a Tyrone win tomorrow!

Did Clerkin pick men of match again?

Itchy

Quote from: SkillfulBill on August 03, 2019, 09:49:35 PM
Not one for stating the obvious  by just read Peter Canavans article  in the Belfast Telegraph on Friday this man was probably the greatest footballer of his age and possibly of any age but his football  commentary is right up there with his article "Why Mayo can Defy all logic and progress to semi final" I have been around football for 40 years and played against the errigal man a good few times but his call on Mayo was one of his best.

He's by far the best analyst out there on tv (granted not much competition )

Erne Man

No Itchy - it was his clown partner Senna Connell!
How those 2 lads get air time demands a publicly funded enquiry!

macdanger2

Who was motm?

Farrandeelin

Fantastic win. What a group of players. Going by form, Donegal should have torn them to shreds. But form goes out the window in championship matches such as this one. It's who is prepared to give it their all, and by Christ there was one team there this evening, happily for me it was Mayo.

The Kerry game must have gone to the Donegal players' head a bit maybe. I mean, it's the only way Mayo beat them, sure weren't they finished according to Brolly et al. Fair play to Canavan, myself and himself are one of a kind. :D Might not get within an asses roar of Dublin, but we're stumbling along. That's what championship is about though, innit? Up Mayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

straightred

Quote from: Erne Man on August 03, 2019, 10:29:10 PM
No Itchy - it was his clown partner Senna Connell!
How those 2 lads get air time demands a publicly funded enquiry!

Kieran Cunningham's tweet summed Dicks night up "Can Dick Clerkin make himself useful and rub a J cloth over the camera lens?"
How gets a gig is beyond me. He's clueless

MayoBuck

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 03, 2019, 10:33:25 PM

Who was motm?

Sky gave it to Aidan O'Shea. Midwest radio gave it to Paddy D.

macdanger2

Quote from: MayoBuck on August 03, 2019, 11:16:47 PM

Who was motm?

Paddy for me

Blowitupref

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 03, 2019, 11:26:33 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on August 03, 2019, 11:16:47 PM

Who was motm?

Paddy for me
I thought Durcan was the clear stand out for MOTM
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

shantygael

Thought Keegan would have been in with a shout, although clearly not his best season due to injury I thought he covered some ground, an outlet for quite a few attacks  and having to marshall Murphy until coen took over,even with the wide he had which would have been easier to score.
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground