Jubilee celebrations gripe

Started by JBM on the 21, September 08, 2014, 03:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBM on the 21

I wish RTE / GAA would pay more attention to this part of the day's proceedings.
I always look forward to it but it seems to become less relevant with each passing year.  I really wanted to see the Tipp team from 1989 yesterday - grew up watching them in their battles with Cork and Galway in the mid to late 80s and aside from English, Ken Hogan and Leahy,  the rest seem to have disappeared from  public eye for the last 20 years. Found it hard to recognise anyone of them (for the brief moment that they were shown). Does anyone know who the small fellow with the glasses was? (he was I think the last one shown before the camera cut off)
They also shunt them off to the corner down by the Davin End. Bring them out into the centre of the field and have someone like Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh present hem. That, from my recollection was how they used to do it many years ago. 
I might drop RTE and the GAA an email and tell them to get their act together considering the next three teams up are Cork!!

Minder

I think Declan Ryan was introduced as "Declan Barr"
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on September 08, 2014, 03:58:05 PM
I think Declan Ryan was introduced as "Declan Barr"

He was. Declan Carr actually I think. Séan Bán Fluteen. I hope he apologised to him afterwards.

Farrandeelin

I remember the old ways it used be done as well. It's a shame that it has been sidelined now with all the 'razzmatazz' that goes on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Minder

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on September 08, 2014, 03:37:06 PM
I wish RTE / GAA would pay more attention to this part of the day's proceedings.
I always look forward to it but it seems to become less relevant with each passing year.  I really wanted to see the Tipp team from 1989 yesterday - grew up watching them in their battles with Cork and Galway in the mid to late 80s and aside from English, Ken Hogan and Leahy,  the rest seem to have disappeared from  public eye for the last 20 years. Found it hard to recognise anyone of them (for the brief moment that they were shown). Does anyone know who the small fellow with the glasses was? (he was I think the last one shown before the camera cut off)
They also shunt them off to the corner down by the Davin End. Bring them out into the centre of the field and have someone like Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh present hem. That, from my recollection was how they used to do it many years ago. 
I might drop RTE and the GAA an email and tell them to get their act together considering the next three teams up are Cork!!

They were in the middle of the pitch as far as I could see

Any craic

It was well enough done if you were in Croke Park. Yes he should have got the names right but apart from that... they were in the middle of the pitch, they all got a cheer and after that they were moved to the corner to have a picture taken. It would have been nice to have seen the Antrim team from 1989 as well especially as it was/will be the only opportunity to see an Ulster team in this regard for a long time. Somebody made a great suggestion that maybe they could introduce the Antrim team at the replay. Or wouldn't it have been great to see someone like Sambo on Up for the Match.

Minder

Quote from: Any craic on September 08, 2014, 11:48:14 PM
It was well enough done if you were in Croke Park. Yes he should have got the names right but apart from that... they were in the middle of the pitch, they all got a cheer and after that they were moved to the corner to have a picture taken. It would have been nice to have seen the Antrim team from 1989 as well especially as it was/will be the only opportunity to see an Ulster team in this regard for a long time. Somebody made a great suggestion that maybe they could introduce the Antrim team at the replay. Or wouldn't it have been great to see someone like Sambo on Up for the Match.

The Antrim 89 team had their own event in the Croke Park hotel on Saturday night.