Football All Stars 2019

Started by Estimator, August 05, 2019, 11:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall Quinn

John Small / Michael Fitzsimons (replay) in 2016.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

imtommygunn

Is there a wiki anywhere with MOTM winners?

I would say the two finals will have boys who were MOTM and not all stars this year.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: lenny on September 16, 2019, 08:25:05 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 16, 2019, 03:20:18 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 16, 2019, 02:02:44 PM
Going by the Paddy power odds the All Stars will be

Stephen Cluxton
Micheal Fitzsimons Ronan McNamee Tom O'Sullivan
Paddy Durcan  James McCarthy Jack Mccaffrey
Brian Fenton David Moran
Con O'Callaghan Micheal Murphy Brian Howard or Sean O'Shea (both 5/6)
Paul Mannion Cathal McShane David Clifford.

Others that might sneak in for one.  Colm Boyle 13/8,David Byrne 7/2,Stephen O'Brien 5/4,Ciaran Kilkenny 2/1

Con O'Callaghan 4/7 to win footballer of the year. Cluxton is 2nd at 6/4 and Jack McCaffrey at 10/1

Probably hard to argue with the team above. I'm a Tyrone man, I don't understand why McNamee would be in team of the year personally - I'd say Ciaran Kilkenny is slightly hard done by if the above holds.

If a Tyrone man deserves one it has to be Mc Shane. I would hate to see them giving a token one to Tyrone in the shape of mcnamee and Mc Shane missing out which could happen. Mcnamee has been average enough, there's got to be better candidates. Fitzsimons and O'sullivan look nailed on in the full back line. You could maybe see a half back named in the full back line like keogan from Meath who was superb this year. McCaffrey and durcan are certs.

Hard to argue with that reasoning. Sometimes these All Stars are given out kinda because you have to involve the other counties that don't contest the final - think that would be the case with McNamee. McShane certainly deserves his award.

Taylor

The problem with picking the full back line is the amount of protection they get in the form of other players.

Rarely is anyone in the full back line exposed and they normally have the protection of at least 1 sweeper.

I too am confused at McNamee being favourite for one. He has been decent but only one Tyrone player deserves an AS this year

greatpoint

How did McNamee perform against Donegal, Dublin, Kerry?

Norf Tyrone

When is the awards?

Am I right in saying there is only one of hurling or football on TV live every year?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

magpie seanie

Personally think it would be insane not to have Ciaran Kilkenny in the team of the year. I'd have him a strong contender for Footballer of the Year also. Also not entirely convinced Fenton gets an allstar - he had two of his worst games ever in the two finals (high bar but still). That said I can't think of a midfielder that deserves one over him bar Moran perhaps. There's always a bit of a fudge and they might drop Murphy or Howard into midfield and leave McShane out. Below is harsh on McShane and Fenton but in my opinion is fairer overall.....couldn't have Kilkenny or one of Howard/Seán O'Shea missing out either.

Cluxton
Fitzsimons   McNamee    O'Sullivan
Durcan    McCarthy    McCaffrey
        Howard        Moran
M Murphy    Kilkenny    Sean O'Shea   
Mannion  Con O'Callaghan  Clifford

Dubs 8, Kerry 4, Mayo 1, Donegal 1, Tyrone 1.

Armagh18

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 18, 2019, 06:11:18 PM
Personally think it would be insane not to have Ciaran Kilkenny in the team of the year. I'd have him a strong contender for Footballer of the Year also. Also not entirely convinced Fenton gets an allstar - he had two of his worst games ever in the two finals (high bar but still). That said I can't think of a midfielder that deserves one over him bar Moran perhaps. There's always a bit of a fudge and they might drop Murphy or Howard into midfield and leave McShane out. Below is harsh on McShane and Fenton but in my opinion is fairer overall.....couldn't have Kilkenny or one of Howard/Seán O'Shea missing out either.

Cluxton
        Howard        Moran

Fenton is nailed on. McShane and Rock ahead of Kilkenny and Mannion too. Howard into half forward with Murphy missing out.

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 18, 2019, 07:54:56 PM

Cluxton
        Howard        Moran

Fenton is nailed on. McShane and Rock ahead of Kilkenny and Mannion too. Howard into half forward with Murphy missing out.

Murphy will get one. Arguably his best ever season. You rarely see players completely dominating championship matches like he did for large stretches of the summer.

nrico2006

M Shane was the best forward in the championship this year. As for final man of the matches not getting All Stars, was it Hughes in 2003 and McGuigan in 2005 that won man of the match in each of those finals? Neither got an all star though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armagh18

Quote from: J70 on September 18, 2019, 08:08:40 PM

Cluxton
        Howard        Moran

Murphy will get one. Arguably his best ever season. You rarely see players completely dominating championship matches like he did for large stretches of the summer.
Where though? Both midfielders are a cert and theres at least 6 forwards from Dublin and Kerry more deserving, plus McShane.

Angelo

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 18, 2019, 09:01:18 PM

Cluxton
        Howard        Moran

Where though? Both midfielders are a cert and theres at least 6 forwards from Dublin and Kerry more deserving, plus McShane.

Can't agree.

Murphy deserves one. He was outstanding throughout the Championship, his display against Kerry in the Super 8s was the best individual display in the season. He should be nailed on for one at 11.

For me it would be:

Howard Murphy O'Brien
Clifford McShane O'Callaghan
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Nanderson

Quote from: Angelo on September 18, 2019, 10:10:34 PM

Cluxton
        Howard        Moran

Can't agree.

Murphy deserves one. He was outstanding throughout the Championship, his display against Kerry in the Super 8s was the best individual display in the season. He should be nailed on for one at 11.

For me it would be:

Howard Murphy O'Brien
O'Shea is a nailed on All Star. Won the sigerson with UCC as top scorer, 2nd top scorer in National League with Kerry finishing runners up, Munster winner and All Ireland finalist, 2nd top scorer in the Championship playing 2 less games than McShane and produced 2 good displays in both finals

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Nanderson on September 18, 2019, 10:26:52 PM
Quote from: Angelo on September 18, 2019, 10:10:34 PM

Cluxton
        Howard        Moran

Can't agree.

For me it would be:

Howard Murphy O'Brien
O'Shea is a nailed on All Star. Won the sigerson with UCC as top scorer, 2nd top scorer in National League with Kerry finishing runners up, Munster winner and All Ireland finalist, 2nd top scorer in the Championship playing 2 less games than McShane and produced 2 good displays in both finals

Not nailed on going by the odds but he should be getting one before his Kerry team mate O'Brien.

Wildweasel74

O'Brien was one of the best forwards in the championship to and was talked about player of the Yr b4 the final. 2 underpar performances might see him miss out on a all star