Armagh v Cavan Sun 8th June

Started by illdecide, May 07, 2014, 10:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Having watched the footage I cannot (for all the wind ups on here) see a single bit of evidence to warrant punnishing any Armagh player or Armagh County Board unless there is some way of pinning the actions of one moronic gan on the County Board.

Individual Cavan players might have a case to answer.

The Cavan County Board will have to cough up for using 8 subs during the game

mylestheslasher

Quote from: LCohen on June 11, 2014, 10:56:50 PM
Having watched the footage I cannot (for all the wind ups on here) see a single bit of evidence to warrant punnishing any Armagh player or Armagh County Board unless there is some way of pinning the actions of one moronic gan on the County Board.

Individual Cavan players might have a case to answer.

The Cavan County Board will have to cough up for using 8 subs during the game

On RTE news today they showed footage fromwhat seemed to be the roof of the terrace and there were a Cavan and Armagh player boxing the heads of each other. It was over before I could see who they were but I expect that they will get banned. Clarke for Cavan will most likely get banned for being the first to engage in the pushing. After that its hard to pin point anyone else really.

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on June 11, 2014, 09:52:51 PM
Quote from: The Biff on June 11, 2014, 05:09:55 PM
These parades of teams should be scrapped, and certainly for all games other than the Provincial Finals and All-Ireland Final.  They are jingoistic, almost militaristic, and to me, it never looks like many of the players like the slow walk after they spending 20 minutes doing all their warm-up drills.

In this particular case, it seems that it was to become a show of strength for both teams.  The Cavan lads, in particular, are seen to be congratulating each other when Armagh are made to march on the other side at the end.  A lot of good it did them.  It's Martin Johnston, the England Rugby team and the red carpet all over again, and I certainly would not want to be put in the same category as that group.

Embarrassing incident.

The parade is one of thee great things gaelic matches. I hope it is never ever removed. And I certainly dont want it replaced with the soccer line-up and handshake.

I genuinely don't get this. What is it about shambling awkwardly around behind a band playing awful "music" that's so compelling?

T Fearon

Pre match parades certainly get the crowd going and flags waving, and provide the perfect build up to the anthem and throw in.A lot would be lost if these were to be abolished.

Probably last Sunday was Martin Dunne thinking he was Bernard Dunne.

Maguire01

I'm with Murphy on this - no need for the pre-match parade. Or at least save it for finals.

tonto1888

Quote from: JP on June 11, 2014, 07:33:55 PM
Quote from: heganboy on June 11, 2014, 07:25:59 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 11, 2014, 02:17:17 PM
2003 and 2005 must have really hurt ye boys

Yes Gabe, it really did, and I for one have been moping about it since, and I know I'm not the only one.

2005 was particularly hard to take.

gotta agree with this. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory

Bensars

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 12, 2014, 07:53:29 AM
I'm with Murphy on this - no need for the pre-match parade. Or at least save it for finals.

Over the last 10 years , theres maybe been over 600 pre match parades, and because two teams dont have the manners to respectfully comply it should be scrapped ?

What a load of horseshit.

As previously mentioned it allows people to see the teams, builds the atmosphere and is particularly good to allow children to see of their heroes up close and personal.

Manners are easily carried and unfortunatley the childish, thuggish behaviour of a few should not tarnish or result in the removal of what has always been a characteristic feature of Gaelic games.

orangeman

The parades are very enjoyable for players and spectators alike. I'd be keeping them.

There's bound to be some way of getting a sponsor for thon ST Michael's Enniskillen band as well. Turn them out in new uniform. There's bound to be room for cheerleaders too.

Shamrock Shore

I hate the parade. Hate it. Just because it's traditional doesn't hold any water with me. The Bishop throwing in the ball for the AIF was traditional. Singing "We will be tootle teetle day" was also traditional.

Just get on with the feckin game and none of this auld nonsense at the beginning.

Bensars

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 12, 2014, 09:28:30 AM
I hate the parade. Hate it. Just because it's traditional doesn't hold any water with me. The Bishop throwing in the ball for the AIF was traditional. Singing "We will be tootle teetle day" was also traditional.

Just get on with the feckin game and none of this auld nonsense at the beginning.

Fair enough , that's your opinion,but the Bishop example you use  wasn't scrapped because of one isolated incident whereby the Bishop and accompanying dignitaries start to knock seven shades of f*** out of each other. Up until this incident there wasn't any word of banning the pre match parade.

PAULD123

Who was the Cavan player who stated the melee by running over and shouldering McKeever out of the parade. basically that was the start of it.

Maguire01

Quote from: Bensars on June 12, 2014, 09:14:30 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 12, 2014, 07:53:29 AM

Over the last 10 years , theres maybe been over 600 pre match parades, and because two teams dont have the manners to respectfully comply it should be scrapped ?

What a load of horseshit.

As previously mentioned it allows people to see the teams, builds the atmosphere and is particularly good to allow children to see of their heroes up close and personal.

Manners are easily carried and unfortunatley the childish, thuggish behaviour of a few should not tarnish or result in the removal of what has always been a characteristic feature of Gaelic games.
I'm not saying it should be scrapped because of last Sunday - just because it has no merit. A bit like the 'renditions' of the national anthem before every game. Make a spectacle of finals by all means. For other games, just get on with the football.

Bensars

Keeping it for the final automatically excludes the weaker counties.
These players have trained their hole off for 6 months. For the likes of players from the weaker counties the championship day is their final. Instead of playing in front of small numbers in grounds with little or no atmosphere, theres a big crowd, the suns out (usually) and their county support are out in force.  This is their big day and the parade before it for the lucky few playing is part of that  "big day".

Dont Matter

I think they should have the parade on seperate sides of the field, a team on either side. Like teams coming out different exits from the dressing room area. Also teams should play in their own half of the pitch, fans on their own side of the terraces and stands etc that way ther'll be no chance of a dust up.
Get out of it ya pansies. Gaelic games was formed on a good punch up, enough whinging about a bit of pushing and shoving. Some of ye would be better of watching the soccer.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Maguire01

Quote from: Bensars on June 12, 2014, 09:50:06 AM
Keeping it for the final automatically excludes the weaker counties.
These players have trained their hole off for 6 months. For the likes of players from the weaker counties the championship day is their final. Instead of playing in front of small numbers in grounds with little or no atmosphere, theres a big crowd, the suns out (usually) and their county support are out in force.  This is their big day and the parade before it for the lucky few playing is part of that  "big day".
Maybe we should give all counties a cup as well. And a medal for every player. Maybe the President should meet the teams for all games. After all, this is their " big day".