Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2016, 03:58:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2016, 03:33:24 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2016, 02:32:35 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 23, 2016, 02:20:19 PM
Fcuk it ok lads lets all vote Brexit and sod the consequences sure its no worse than sticking a few quid on with Paddy Power.

OK we'll  have a recession  and checkpoints and anarchy in order areas,  but we'll have made a point about water  charges

Checkpoints might stop the red and green diesel smugglers making money, so that's not a bad thing? Still undecided but by all accounts this will be a remain anyways.....

A Brexit would be a smugglers paradise, only the legit businesses would suffer the delays

So there wouldn't be checkpoints? I'm confused you said there would be checkpoints now it would be a smugglers paradise if there was border checkpoints!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No wides

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2016, 03:33:24 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2016, 02:32:35 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 23, 2016, 02:20:19 PM
Fcuk it ok lads lets all vote Brexit and sod the consequences sure its no worse than sticking a few quid on with Paddy Power.

OK we'll  have a recession  and checkpoints and anarchy in order areas,  but we'll have made a point about water  charges

Checkpoints might stop the red and green diesel smugglers making money, so that's not a bad thing? Still undecided but by all accounts this will be a remain anyways.....

Seen a great post about how the immigrants are stealing jobs.. They don't!! they are doing the jobs here that no one wants to do..... if we close down this avenue for immigrants to come here to work in our health service our Moy Parks and the other industries that they have increased the production rates who is going to do it?

That's right they are washing your status symbol.

No wides

Quote from: LeoMc on June 23, 2016, 03:15:12 PM
Quote from: No wides on June 23, 2016, 01:06:18 PM
Quote from: AQMP on June 23, 2016, 12:24:50 PM
Quote from: No wides on June 23, 2016, 11:57:25 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 23, 2016, 10:39:32 AM
Quote from: Oghams Law on June 23, 2016, 10:22:26 AM
Muppet,
Im irish, but I can vote on this
As regards immigration 150,000 eu citizens settled in uk last year alone so wouldnt say leaving the eu would have no impact  ;D
As regards corp tax Britain wont vote in Irelands interest, but I will
I have met politicians and no idea what your on about with mayo

Any Irish person using immigration as an excuse, needs to take a serious look at themselves.

Yeah because not having enough housing, school places, doctors etc to deal with what is here, isn't a real issue, unless you are implying they are all racist?

The pressure on the Health Service, education and housing etc is not the fault of immigrants...it's the fault of people who consistently vote for governments that cut support to the NHS, refuse to invest in building enough affordable homes, and cut budgets to education authorities..i.e the electorate (the vast majority of whom aren't immigrants)

Yeah nothing to do with immigration!  http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/net-migration-pushes-uk-population-to-over-65-million-a3279016.html
So if the infrastructure cannot handle a >1% increase in population, half of which is UK births and half of the remainder from outside the EU it is all the fault of the 0.0025% immigrants from inside the EU for pushing it over the edge?

Year on year and expected to get more and more - short answer is no.

No wides

Quote from: LeoMc on June 23, 2016, 03:17:06 PM
Quote from: No wides on June 23, 2016, 01:08:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 23, 2016, 12:17:11 PM
What's a European tax code?
When was it introduced?

The red herrings are fairly flying from no wides and Lazer ::)
And they even got every loonyleftie's favourite subject in " water charges".
The English/Scots/ Welsh will still be paying for water if they leave the EU and it won't be long before the 6 Cos will be taken off life support by the London Govt.
Meanwhile farmers in the 6 Cos will be fcukd without the EU cheque while cheap South American beef will close them down altogether.
And the EU wont have much time for Irish citizens living outside the EU.

You will get it in the next few years when Turkey joins as a pat on the back for keeping the Syrian refugees!
And they meet the 35 non-negotiable conditions (only 1 of which they have met since 1987)  and all 28 current Countries (including the UK and Cyprus) accept them.

You have your head up your hole if you think Turkey won't get special treatment to join.

muppet

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 23, 2016, 02:15:09 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 23, 2016, 01:51:46 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 23, 2016, 01:09:45 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 23, 2016, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: Lazer on June 23, 2016, 12:24:14 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 23, 2016, 12:11:13 PM
Set aside the economic arguments, which in my view can be twisted either way. If you want border controls when you go any where in the EU vote Brexit, if you want the NHS collapsing because we can't train enough local staff vote Brexit. If you want red tape and Custom houses from Lifford to Newry vote Brexit.

Immigration to the NHS will not stop because of a Brexit - we have plenty of Asians training to be medical staff here and Asia isn't in the EU.

As for customs, ever walked through Dublin or Belfast airport coming off a non EU flight? How often do you get stopped? Its mainly a matter of spot checks and putting the emphasis on you declare any goods which may be subject to tariffs or import taxes.

You have to pass through non-EU passport control. Even though the line is often shorter, the scrutiny is far, far higher. You often see families left sitting for hours upstream of passport control in Dublin Airport, for example. Many people are deported straight back to where they came from on the basis of passport control.  You'll know all about it if the vote is Leave.

Customs is something completely different entirely.

That's only if you don't have an EU passport, I believe? So you could be traveling on an American passport and flying in from Paris and you would still be put in the non-EU queue.

Of course. Aren't they the devils we are trying to stop?

Leave the EU and every nation will be the devils you are trying to stop. With the probable exception of Ireland.

Any nationalist should have an Irish passport anyway so shouldn't give a toss about that. I've driven from France to Swizterland and back before and never had to bother with any queues or traffic.

The Leave=UI argument is that there will be no border and it will move to Britain, Ireland will be treated as one entity and Scotland will leave.

I ended up voting In, mainly because I think it's important that any Brexit is against the will of nationalist areas (who want to remain in the EU and therefore there is an appetite for a UI), and the risk of border posts in Ireland (which I don't believe will happen) was too big a risk, I couldn't be bothered being searched by British soldiers every few days.

Do you know why you weren't bothered by queues or traffic?
MWWSI 2017

LeoMc

Quote from: No wides on June 23, 2016, 05:06:54 PM
When was it introduced?

The English/Scots/ Welsh will still be paying for water if they leave the EU and it won't be long before the 6 Cos will be taken off life support by the London Govt.
Meanwhile farmers in the 6 Cos will be fcukd without the EU cheque while cheap South American beef will close them down altogether.

You will get it in the next few years when Turkey joins as a pat on the back for keeping the Syrian refugees!
And they meet the 35 non-negotiable conditions (only 1 of which they have met since 1987)  and all 28 current Countries (including the UK and Cyprus) accept them.

You have your head up your hole if you think Turkey won't get special treatment to join.
I don't doubt they will get help to meet the 34 criteria but they will still have to meet them. If they do meet those criteria which include human rights, judicial independence, press freedom, religious freedom, etc, I see no issue with them joining. They are wealthier than many Countries already in the EU.
Do you think the Greeks and Cypriots  will just roll over?

dec

Bild newspaper in Germany has ffered some bribes to encourage a Remain vote.

http://www.bild.de/politik/ausland/brexit/dear-brits-46447914.bild.html

... even we will acknowledge the Wembley goal!
... we will stop making jokes about Prince Charles's ears!
... we will no longer use sunscreen at the beach – in solidarity with your sunburns!
... we will do without our goalkeeper for the next round of penalties, for more excitement!
... we will voluntarily provide the bad guy for any James Bond movie!
... we will introduce tea time with buckets at the Ballermann!
... we will immediately turns our clocks back one hour!
... we will reserve the hotel sunloungers for you with our towels in the morning!
... we will introduce an EU directive banning foam on beer!
... Jogi Löw will guard your crown jewels!
... we will all attend the Queen's 100th birthday!

I'd still put my money on Germany in a penalty shoot out

Donnellys Hollow

Brexit (6/1) finished down the field in the 6:10 at Newbury:

http://www.irishracing.com/horse?name=Brexit&prt=532707
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

No wides

Quote from: LeoMc on June 23, 2016, 05:54:37 PM
Quote from: No wides on June 23, 2016, 05:06:54 PM
When was it introduced?

I don't doubt they will get help to meet the 34 criteria but they will still have to meet them. If they do meet those criteria which include human rights, judicial independence, press freedom, religious freedom, etc, I see no issue with them joining. They are wealthier than many Countries already in the EU.
Do you think the Greeks and Cypriots  will just roll over?

I think in a European state they will do as they are told.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: muppet on June 23, 2016, 05:51:11 PM
Set aside the economic arguments, which in my view can be twisted either way. If you want border controls when you go any where in the EU vote Brexit, if you want the NHS collapsing because we can't train enough local staff vote Brexit. If you want red tape and Custom houses from Lifford to Newry vote Brexit.

Immigration to the NHS will not stop because of a Brexit - we have plenty of Asians training to be medical staff here and Asia isn't in the EU.

As for customs, ever walked through Dublin or Belfast airport coming off a non EU flight? How often do you get stopped? Its mainly a matter of spot checks and putting the emphasis on you declare any goods which may be subject to tariffs or import taxes.

You have to pass through non-EU passport control. Even though the line is often shorter, the scrutiny is far, far higher. You often see families left sitting for hours upstream of passport control in Dublin Airport, for example. Many people are deported straight back to where they came from on the basis of passport control.  You'll know all about it if the vote is Leave.

That's only if you don't have an EU passport, I believe? So you could be traveling on an American passport and flying in from Paris and you would still be put in the non-EU queue.

Leave the EU and every nation will be the devils you are trying to stop. With the probable exception of Ireland.

Any nationalist should have an Irish passport anyway so shouldn't give a toss about that. I've driven from France to Swizterland and back before and never had to bother with any queues or traffic.

The Leave=UI argument is that there will be no border and it will move to Britain, Ireland will be treated as one entity and Scotland will leave.

I ended up voting In, mainly because I think it's important that any Brexit is against the will of nationalist areas (who want to remain in the EU and therefore there is an appetite for a UI), and the risk of border posts in Ireland (which I don't believe will happen) was too big a risk, I couldn't be bothered being searched by British soldiers every few days.

No, but somebody a few posts above me commented that there are big queues of traffic even though you rarely get stopped. I was refuting their point.

muppet

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 23, 2016, 07:32:15 PM

No, but somebody a few posts above me commented that there are big queues of traffic even though you rarely get stopped. I was refuting their point.

I have absolutely no idea what you point is and the only thing I am certain of at this stage, is that neither do you.  :D
MWWSI 2017

OgraAnDun

Quote from: muppet on June 23, 2016, 07:34:44 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 23, 2016, 07:32:15 PM

I have absolutely no idea what you point is and the only thing I am certain of at this stage, is that neither do you.  :D

Quote from: Rois on June 23, 2016, 02:09:09 PM

Ever driven from Switzerland to France or vice versa?  You're not often stopped, but the queue is huge pain in the a$$.  Airports I can deal with (flying into Geneva isn't too bad).  Roads I pass frequently, and not to go on holiday but to work - not so much!

Good lad muppet, don't bother checking back over the posts and live up to your username.

easytiger95

No particular skin in this game or a vote, but I think I'd be ticking remain, if only for the blatant anti-intellectualism of some of Leave's arguments, especially Gove railing against "experts".

More than willing to get on board with the general public feeling frustrated and hopeless since the economic crisis and the lack of institutional trust that has come with it - but the more and more independent bodies, academics, company heads etc that have warned of an economic shock, the more Leave have reacted like American Republicans confronted with climate change - what would a scientist know more than me?

Plenty, actually.

Also, the morality of facilitating refugees from war zones (countries, by the way, that were formed in the aftermath of WW1 by a colonial carve up between France and the British empire, without any regard for the ethnicity of the local populations, thus guaranteeing at some stage down the line a crisis) added to the fact that all economic studies indicate that immigrants are net contributors to the host country's GDP (by a good long way, immigrants are the least likely social group to access welfare on a long term basis) then to me it seems a fairly rational choice.

I'd also say the public representatives of Leave have let down the majority of their supporters by twisting the arguments. The EU is a flawed enough institution that a coherent argument can be made for leaving, and plenty of democratic populations (including our own) have rejected the EU in referenda over the past two decades.

If perhaps, Leave had fought it on sovereignty alone, and made the point that in addition to negotiating to maintain trade ties with Europe, they would also offer a written constitution after Brexit that would incorporate some of the best aspects of the convention on human rights and the labour protections from Europe, then they could have made an argument to the working class that didn't rest on a lie that there were a load of immigrants swarming in to take their jobs.

The basic point for me is that the No supporters are voting because of fears about austerity and inequality - they would be far better off voting out a Tory government which has gutted the UK since their election in 2010, because of their obsession with the deficit. To get away with this they have demonized immigrants and the EU - but now they realize that Brexit could be such a disaster, and are desperately trying to get the genie back in the bottle. Just as the Republicans have done with Trump.

Post truth politics.

A big decision for everyone, turnout is the key.

imtommygunn

Fully agree. People would be much better voting tories out first then dealing with eu. They really are going to be the ruination of the whole of the uk and them combined with no eu would cripple ni.

Vote out of eu to give tories full control is quite a frightening prospect. One which i really hope i don't wake up to or it could be moving time.