Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: muppet on June 23, 2016, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: Lazer on June 23, 2016, 12:24:14 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 23, 2016, 12:11:13 PM
Set aside the economic arguments, which in my view can be twisted either way. If you want border controls when you go any where in the EU vote Brexit, if you want the NHS collapsing because we can't train enough local staff vote Brexit. If you want red tape and Custom houses from Lifford to Newry vote Brexit.

Immigration to the NHS will not stop because of a Brexit - we have plenty of Asians training to be medical staff here and Asia isn't in the EU.

As for customs, ever walked through Dublin or Belfast airport coming off a non EU flight? How often do you get stopped? Its mainly a matter of spot checks and putting the emphasis on you declare any goods which may be subject to tariffs or import taxes.

You have to pass through non-EU passport control. Even though the line is often shorter, the scrutiny is far, far higher. You often see families left sitting for hours upstream of passport control in Dublin Airport, for example. Many people are deported straight back to where they came from on the basis of passport control.  You'll know all about it if the vote is Leave.

Customs is something completely different entirely.

That's only if you don't have an EU passport, I believe? So you could be traveling on an American passport and flying in from Paris and you would still be put in the non-EU queue.

Oghams Law

A Leave vote is the only hope for a Reunited Ireland.
As it stands there is no border and as both countries are governed by the EU not much political difference.Judging by the polls there is no desire for it (around 70 30).  Nationalists are reasonably content with the status quo so somehting needs to happen to change this. It could pave the way for Scottish independance and the break up of the union.

seafoid

Quote from: Oghams Law on June 23, 2016, 01:25:10 PM
A Leave vote is the only hope for a Reunited Ireland.
As it stands there is no border and as both countries are governed by the EU not much political difference.Judging by the polls there is no desire for it (around 70 30).  Nationalists are reasonably content with the status quo so somehting needs to happen to change this. It could pave the way for Scottish independance and the break up of the union.
a UI is inevitable and doesn't depend on the 23rd of June 2016
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 23, 2016, 01:09:45 PM
Set aside the economic arguments, which in my view can be twisted either way. If you want border controls when you go any where in the EU vote Brexit, if you want the NHS collapsing because we can't train enough local staff vote Brexit. If you want red tape and Custom houses from Lifford to Newry vote Brexit.

Immigration to the NHS will not stop because of a Brexit - we have plenty of Asians training to be medical staff here and Asia isn't in the EU.

As for customs, ever walked through Dublin or Belfast airport coming off a non EU flight? How often do you get stopped? Its mainly a matter of spot checks and putting the emphasis on you declare any goods which may be subject to tariffs or import taxes.

You have to pass through non-EU passport control. Even though the line is often shorter, the scrutiny is far, far higher. You often see families left sitting for hours upstream of passport control in Dublin Airport, for example. Many people are deported straight back to where they came from on the basis of passport control.  You'll know all about it if the vote is Leave.

That's only if you don't have an EU passport, I believe? So you could be traveling on an American passport and flying in from Paris and you would still be put in the non-EU queue.

Of course. Aren't they the devils we are trying to stop?

Leave the EU and every nation will be the devils you are trying to stop. With the probable exception of Ireland.
MWWSI 2017

Rois

Ever driven from Switzerland to France or vice versa?  You're not often stopped, but the queue is huge pain in the a$$.  Airports I can deal with (flying into Geneva isn't too bad).  Roads I pass frequently, and not to go on holiday but to work - not so much!

OgraAnDun

Quote from: muppet on June 23, 2016, 01:51:46 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 23, 2016, 01:09:45 PM

Of course. Aren't they the devils we are trying to stop?

Leave the EU and every nation will be the devils you are trying to stop. With the probable exception of Ireland.

Any nationalist should have an Irish passport anyway so shouldn't give a toss about that. I've driven from France to Swizterland and back before and never had to bother with any queues or traffic.

The Leave=UI argument is that there will be no border and it will move to Britain, Ireland will be treated as one entity and Scotland will leave.

I ended up voting In, mainly because I think it's important that any Brexit is against the will of nationalist areas (who want to remain in the EU and therefore there is an appetite for a UI), and the risk of border posts in Ireland (which I don't believe will happen) was too big a risk, I couldn't be bothered being searched by British soldiers every few days.

Applesisapples

Fcuk it ok lads lets all vote Brexit and sod the consequences sure its no worse than sticking a few quid on with Paddy Power.

armaghniac

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 23, 2016, 02:20:19 PM
Fcuk it ok lads lets all vote Brexit and sod the consequences sure its no worse than sticking a few quid on with Paddy Power.

OK we'll  have a recession  and checkpoints and anarchy in order areas,  but we'll have made a point about water  charges
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

No wides

Quote from: armaghniac on June 23, 2016, 02:32:35 PM

OK we'll  have a recession  and checkpoints and anarchy in order areas,  but we'll have made a point about water  charges

You really bought into the fear campaign!

LeoMc

Quote from: No wides on June 23, 2016, 01:06:18 PM
Quote from: AQMP on June 23, 2016, 12:24:50 PM
Quote from: No wides on June 23, 2016, 11:57:25 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 23, 2016, 10:39:32 AM
Quote from: Oghams Law on June 23, 2016, 10:22:26 AM
Muppet,
Im irish, but I can vote on this
As regards immigration 150,000 eu citizens settled in uk last year alone so wouldnt say leaving the eu would have no impact  ;D
As regards corp tax Britain wont vote in Irelands interest, but I will
I have met politicians and no idea what your on about with mayo

Any Irish person using immigration as an excuse, needs to take a serious look at themselves.

Yeah because not having enough housing, school places, doctors etc to deal with what is here, isn't a real issue, unless you are implying they are all racist?

The pressure on the Health Service, education and housing etc is not the fault of immigrants...it's the fault of people who consistently vote for governments that cut support to the NHS, refuse to invest in building enough affordable homes, and cut budgets to education authorities..i.e the electorate (the vast majority of whom aren't immigrants)

Yeah nothing to do with immigration!  http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/net-migration-pushes-uk-population-to-over-65-million-a3279016.html
So if the infrastructure cannot handle a >1% increase in population, half of which is UK births and half of the remainder from outside the EU it is all the fault of the 0.0025% immigrants from inside the EU for pushing it over the edge?

LeoMc

Quote from: No wides on June 23, 2016, 01:08:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 23, 2016, 12:17:11 PM
What's a European tax code?
When was it introduced?

The red herrings are fairly flying from no wides and Lazer ::)
And they even got every loonyleftie's favourite subject in " water charges".
The English/Scots/ Welsh will still be paying for water if they leave the EU and it won't be long before the 6 Cos will be taken off life support by the London Govt.
Meanwhile farmers in the 6 Cos will be fcukd without the EU cheque while cheap South American beef will close them down altogether.
And the EU wont have much time for Irish citizens living outside the EU.

You will get it in the next few years when Turkey joins as a pat on the back for keeping the Syrian refugees!
And they meet the 35 non-negotiable conditions (only 1 of which they have met since 1987)  and all 28 current Countries (including the UK and Cyprus) accept them.

Rossfan

Quote from: No wides on June 23, 2016, 01:08:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 23, 2016, 12:17:11 PM
What's a European tax code?
When was it introduced?

The red herrings are fairly flying from no wides and Lazer ::)
And they even got every loonyleftie's favourite subject in " water charges".
The English/Scots/ Welsh will still be paying for water if they leave the EU and it won't be long before the 6 Cos will be taken off life support by the London Govt.
Meanwhile farmers in the 6 Cos will be fcukd without the EU cheque while cheap South American beef will close them down altogether.
And the EU wont have much time for Irish citizens living outside the EU.

You will get it in the next few years when Turkey joins as a pat on the back for keeping the Syrian refugees!

Any chance you could list the winners of all next weekend's horse races.?
What is a " European tax code"?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Turkey joining  the EU  will be nothing  compared to Azerbaijan.

Milltown Row2

Checkpoints might stop the red and green diesel smugglers making money, so that's not a bad thing? Still undecided but by all accounts this will be a remain anyways.....

Seen a great post about how the immigrants are stealing jobs.. They don't!! they are doing the jobs here that no one wants to do..... if we close down this avenue for immigrants to come here to work in our health service our Moy Parks and the other industries that they have increased the production rates who is going to do it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2016, 03:33:24 PM

Checkpoints might stop the red and green diesel smugglers making money, so that's not a bad thing? Still undecided but by all accounts this will be a remain anyways.....

A Brexit would be a smugglers paradise, only the legit businesses would suffer the delays