RG at arms length

Started by seafoid, May 15, 2023, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on March 20, 2024, 10:57:17 PMSo does everyone who thinks that Gallagher, who has never been convicted, should be run out of the GAA also think the same should apply to Limerick hurler Kyle Hayes, who was convicted today?
Hayes had a row in a nightclub with a fella I don't think it's comparable to what Gallagher was accused of.

Truthsayer

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 20, 2024, 11:06:35 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 20, 2024, 10:57:17 PMSo does everyone who thinks that Gallagher, who has never been convicted, should be run out of the GAA also think the same should apply to Limerick hurler Kyle Hayes, who was convicted today?
Hayes had a row in a nightclub with a fella I don't think it's comparable to what Gallagher was accused of.
Not quite what Hayes was convicted of... had a row with a fellow?... with others dealt out an unmerciful beating on their victim who was lying on the ground causing him serious facial injuries. . let's be accurate

RedHand88

Yes.

nrico2006

If you can be run out for allegedly being violent towards someone then surely a proven unprovoked violent attack should lead to the same conclusion.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ck

If RG punched your brother and punched your mother would you see these as equal?
Any many who beats up a woman is the scum of the earth in my book.

JoG2

Quote from: ck on March 21, 2024, 09:43:06 AM

If RG punched your brother and punched your mother would you see these as equal?

You're completely missing the point

tonto1888

I think the difference is that RG is a manager/coach and isnt doing that for free

Armagh18

Quote from: ck on March 21, 2024, 09:43:06 AM

Exactly. RG far worse.  (Although RG is obviously only alleged)

Duine Inteacht Eile

Saffrongael

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on March 21, 2024, 11:07:40 AMDarren Gleeson?

Be interesting to see how long this lasts as his conviction was raised before & the mods went into full shutdown mode.

Complaining about besmirching his reputation, even though he was convicted and it was all in the public domain
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

So there are, ok convictions and there are bad non convictions, there is bad convictions and good convictions

Will the guy that stabbed the ref get back into the club or should he be roaded out of the community and that GAA circle or can that be resolved with some therapy and resolution?

Plenty of people are happy to sit behind a computer and spout (myself included) without the fear of having to back up accusations
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Truthsayer

Quote from: Truthsayer on March 21, 2024, 01:32:30 PMSimple fact is RG has not been convicted of any offence. You can't just ban someone because of what someone else says about them... Hayes on the other hand has been convicted in a court of law. Huge difference. Whether Hayes should be banned is a whole other debate. Personally id like to see him play on and be rehabilitated.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 21, 2024, 05:43:22 PMTo take the RG scenario, it was all based on social media claims. There has been a Garda investigation and RG has custody of his kids and there has been no criminal prosecution.
So if the GAA take action against someone based on social media claims then I don't know where that will end.

If someone has been found guilty of a crime in a court or law, then depending on the crime the GAA should take action. Even during a trial they would be within their rights to stand someone down pending an outcome. But I think it has to be crime dependant - for example, if someone was in court for failing to pay their TV licence and was found guilty I wouldn't expect them to be sanctioned within the GAA. If they were found guilty of fraud/murder/assault etc its obviously a different question as they could pose a risk to the organisation or its members. To the best of my knowledge, there are no GAA regulations around someone's criminal past being a factor when participating in GAA though I could be wrong.

In the RG case, if he'd been found guilty in a court of law, or even prosecuted I think the GAA would be within their rights to stand him down to protect others he could come in contact with. But since he hasn't, they have no grounds to do that imo.

Lord save us and bless us, someone applying common sense to things instead of knee-jerk reactions based on social media.

imtommygunn

Exactly. If he's not guilty in the eyes of the law the GAA can't really start applying their own law.

It's different for county boards etc and their own discretion. Yes there's the severity, there's what he is supposed to have done etc but he hasn't been found guilty in the eyes of the law.

Hayes was and it's disappointing how Limerick have done what they've done.

Don't get me wrong morally I would be against either or them being involved but if you don't let Gallagher be involved then where do you draw the line so I don't see how the GAA can ban him at all.

trueblue1234

Is it a classic example of the GAA acknowledging that gaa managers aren't in it for just the love of the game without actually coming out and saying that?
I'm trying to think of players who have been banned for any convictions? Are the gaa, off the record, treating managers to a higher level of scrutiny than players because they are making money on their involvement with the gaa.
Whole lot of worms spilling over the place. That said, the GAA would have faced a backlash if they had done nothing as well. Sometimes there's no way to win.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit