Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Pierson doesn't look fit enough for me but is the most natural score getter. I thought Cormac O'Reilly has performed ok. He just seems isolated every time he gets the ball in there but he has looked very strong and willing to get on the ball. TED has looked good coming on when the game perhaps has more space and tired legs. Madden another option but is very hot and cold and always manages to keep the shorts gleaming white in a battle. Conor Smith looked ok in league before injury. Championship is another matter though.
All in all there's many cases to be made for starters and probably not much of a muchness. The fact it's winter football I give the nod to COR for starters and someone else. I'd like to see more support in there and maybe a target man. Gearoid is probably more needed further out, pity James Smith is injured, could be given a try in this role. Madden if fit perhaps a target option and then some good enough options from the bench later on.   

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on November 10, 2020, 01:31:45 PM
I think TED could easily offer as much as Pierson or Cormac O'Reilly have offered by way of scoring threat over the last couple of games. That's not a high bar though.

For me he would struggle physically I think to start the game. Better coming on a sub. Madden is one I would like to see get back in there but not sure where he is with his injury.

Westside

I suppose the reality is that if we had Michael Murphy in our inside line it's no good if we don't let the ball into him. Hard to know if this is is because we don't trust the lads inside to do the job or if we are unable or unwilling to take the chance and let the ball in. We have also been faced with packed defences and will more than likely face another one next Sunday. I believe that more could be done to get the shooters possession in around the D though, and more chances could be taken to get an advanced mark.

Cavan are pretty much being written off going into this game which is odd. I'd have it very 50/50.

Look-Up!

In fairness most of our team, never mind forwards, are very light weight compared to Murphy. It's one thing getting to a ball, it's another thing holding on to it when it's slick, underfoot slippy and hits coming in from all around with little to no space.

Westside

The Monaghan win is hard to top but, that certainly comes close. That was some effort in the second half.

Itchy

I cant remember us coming back from defeat in many big championship matches before. That 2nd half was something else and fair play to them for doing it. We will need two halves like that and a bit more to trouble Donegal. I thought most impressive was faulkner, gearoid and galligan in that last 20 minutes plus madden who was really in the humour today.

cavanmaniac

My jaw is still on the floor. That was an incredible comeback. Every bit as bad as they were first half - lethargic and standing off, chasing spaces, lurching at shadows in defence, pedestrian and predictable in attack - they were twice as good in the second - tackling with intensity, letting the ball in quickly, shooting decisively, great cutting in them and all guts and glory. It'd make you proud to be from Cavan. Mickey Graham is getting the maximum out of these players and Ulster final appearances should be minimum target for the team in most years I feel.

Donegal will be another kettle of fish. I hope Cavan don't overthink it like they seem to do against big-name opponents, and wait until they're way behind before snapping out of whatever mental straitjacket they seem to start games in these days. I don't expect a victory but another embarrassing tail-between-the-legs exit, like we've seen way too often against Tyrone and Donegal in recent years, would be very demoralising. Hope they go down with their boots on and make Donegal work for it at least.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Westside

Look-Up!

First cousins. 1st cousins of McVeety also I think.

Look-Up!

What a comeback yesterday. Fair play to the lads. I didn't think they had a hope at half time. Too many heroes to name. Madden was fantastic though when he came on and looked the player we all know is in there. Again Thomas Galligan had a massive second half and is a total warrior no matter where he is played. Gearoid won some ball. Throughout the second half in fact all the lads operating around the middle put their bodies on the line and dominated possession. As I said too many to mention and I could name many more. Defence were excellent second half but special mention has to go to Padraig Faulkner who was a colossus throughout. He is the epitome of what you want a player to be- strong, brave to a fault, quick to read danger, never say die attitude and massive engine. And he's got great footballing ability too.
Onto the final. I am a huge fan of this Donegal team and it's hard to see where they are weak. If we are to make a game of it, it will take one gigantic collective effort. I worry we have a few weak links that we cannot afford against a team like them and some of our starters yesterday wouldn't be anywhere near their panel. As much as there are individual battles anymore, we will need to win at least 5 to keep it respectable. Anything after that who knows. Our defence is a big worry though and Donegal should have too much pace and power for us so hard to know how to setup. Packing the midfield too much would leave us very short up front and invite Donegal onto us. Not sure it would work defensively against them anyway so Mikey will have to find the mother of all rabbits and a hat to hold it for next week if we are to have our showdown with Meath first week of December!!!
In any event it's great to be in a final again and a great tonic after our final two league games. Hopefully we learn from last year and a few more of the lads show up this time and give it a good rattle. No passengers! Good luck to all.
P.S nice to see our record alive for another 19 years at least.

Itchy

Don't we now avoid the B Championship next year as a result of making the final too?

Look-Up!

Not sure. Think we'd have to win it this year or get to final next year?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on November 16, 2020, 06:37:56 PM
Don't we now avoid the B Championship next year as a result of making the final too?

I think the rule was the league placings at the end of the 2020 league would determine the B Championship placings. Obviously it hasn't happened this year due to Covid, so there's no B Championship for us to avoid. I'm not sure if it resets next season, does the B Championship take the placings again at the end of 2021 League? If so, then we could be back in main championship if we get promoted from Division 3, but who knows as this year has been weird. They'll need to clarify.

Look-Up!

Big day getting closer now and can feel the butterflies starting.
Reading around, no one outside Cavan is realistically giving us a chance. All the experts don't rate us, period. Most other counties fans admire us for getting this far, that's about the height of it. Some Donegal fans are extremely cocky and fully expect a tame workout for their team and then a nice injury free break before their big showdown with the Jones Road Globetrotters. I say some, of course most of them are typical Donegal people, polite and respectful, and talk about Cavan's tradition, expect tough battle, no Ulster easy bla bla bla. But realistically their Ulster final was Tyrone once Monaghan were dumped out, and deep down a loss to Cavan would be unspeakable.
Obviously all this is for very good reason but it's setup for a major upset. Great team as they are and competitive as their squad is, hopefully a bit of this mindset seeps in. We'll need to be on our game from the off and bring a level of intensity they are not expecting. Team selection will be vital too and whatever about having options from the bench later on, we cannot afford some of the passengers we have had starting so far. It's gonna take a monster collective effort for the whole 70mins but if we let them settle for the first 10 then I don't think it's doable.
So here's hoping and wishing all the best of luck. I think we have a talented team, should have learned from last year, and hope whoever plays a part Sunday leaves everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on the field and give these Donegal boys a good kick up the arse. That's more important than the result!