Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

He sounds like an ass, imagine getting fired from your job because you wouldnt put on a pair of decent trousers, what an knob.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 16, 2009, 08:14:29 PM
He sounds like an ass, imagine getting fired from your job because you wouldnt put on a pair of decent trousers, what an knob.
I agree pints. What a knob. I bet he feels like a quare mug now. If wants to go to work wearing trackies he can get a job in a leisure centre. Too cool for school eh.

Lar Naparka

I'd imagine there is more to that story than meets the eye.
We are not being given the full facts here.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 16, 2009, 08:40:49 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 16, 2009, 08:14:29 PM
I agree pints. What a knob. I bet he feels like a quare mug now. If wants to go to work wearing trackies he can get a job in a leisure centre. Too cool for school eh.

He probably just wanted to "connect" with the kids, wanted to show them he wasnt "stuffy".............
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

As the rest of Britain fights for its financial life, teachers demand a four-day week AND 10% pay rise

Teachers want their days in the classroom cut to four a week – with a 10 per cent pay rise.

The National Union of Teachers is planning a campaign for contractual rights to spend one day a week marking work and preparing lessons.

It also wants a 35-hour limit on the working week.

The claim is aimed at bringing teachers into line with their counterparts in Scotland.

But the demands, which may be backed up with strike action or working to rule, have brought an angry reaction at a time when unemployment is soaring and many workers face pay freezes.

Critics said teachers were largely protected from redundancy threats and 'seem not to have noticed' the deepening recession and spiralling national debt.

The change would be hugely costly, since extra teachers would have to be recruited to cover absences from classrooms.

Under a deal struck in 2003, teachers are already allowed to spend 10 per cent of their time on 'non-contact' duties away from their pupils, such as marking appropriate balance of contact and non-contact time.'

Now NUT leaders are poised to table a motion at their annual conference at Easter calling for this to to be doubled to 20 per cent, or the equivalent of a day a week.

The conference in Cardiff will also hear calls for a new 'national contract' guaranteeing the additional non-contact time, along with extra pay for all commitments above class teaching and rights to have a break every two hours.

Delegates will call for members to be balloted on strikes or other industrial action as part of the drive to win the contract.

The NUT has already written to the teachers' pay body saying staff should receive a 10 per cent increase or £3,000, whichever is the greater, from September.

Acting general secretary Christine Blower said: 'We have a policy of 20 per cent non-contact time for the duties that teachers have to do. We believe that would be an

She added: 'It is a bit of a mystery to us why Scotland is able to work perfectly well with a 35-hour week.

'We would like the pleasant air of a 35-hour week creeping over Hadrian's Wall. It does not mean we would stop working on the 61st minute after the 35th hour.'

Teachers in Scotland had their working hours capped at 35 a week in a 2001 agreement.

There was also a phased reduction in contact time with pupils to 22.5 hours a week.

But attempts to introduce similar arrangements south of the border were rejected by ministers whobranded them 'unprofessional'.

Some teachers were also hostile, claiming the job could take more hours to carry out properly.

Miss Blower insisted that official studies of teachers' diaries showed they were still doing 'ludicrously'long hours – 50 or 60 a week.

Bryan Beckingham, a retired maths teacher from Oldham, will table a conference motion complaining about 'completely unacceptable levels of workload' and calling for a 'national contract' which would include the right not to cover for other teachers except
in genuine emergencies and the right not to attend staff meetings at school more than once a week.

Mark Wallace, spokesman for the Taxpayers' Alliance, said: 'The NUT seems not to have noticed that we are in the middle of a recession.

'There's no way taxpayers or school children can afford for teachers to take a day a week out of the classroom.

'We are all in this crisis together, so it's disappointing to see this union trying to squeeze more out of taxpayers.

'We are always told teachers work on lesson plans in the long school holidays, so it would be difficult to defend a day a week out of the classroom as well.'

The Department for Children, Schools and Families said: 'There has never been a better time to be a teacher, with record levels of pay, excellent training and career development and more support staff.'

* Fewer primary school pupils are scoring top marks in their SATs, according to results to be issued next week.

They will trigger concernthat schools are failing to stretch the brightest pupils.

The figures are expected to show that four in ten children move to secondary school without a basic mastery of the three Rs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1165332/As-rest-Britain-fights-financial-life-teachers-demand-day-week-AND-10-pay-rise.html?ITO=1490
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Nice to see the teaching unions and teachers are in touch with the real world. Did it really come as a shock to teachers that they'd be expected to teach AND mark homework, set lessons etc!

Rav67

The many people on this board who sit posting on here during supposed work hours have some cheek giving teachers stick.  They do get loads of holidays but at least they do some work when they're in their place of employment.

ONeill

Quote from: Rav67 on March 28, 2009, 11:48:35 AM
The many people on this board who sit posting on here during supposed work hours have some cheek giving teachers stick.  They do get loads of holidays but at least they do some work when they're in their place of employment.

Just some though. I spend most of the time drinking tea and telling the lads to read that bit again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gaffer

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 28, 2009, 12:38:36 PM
Quote from: ONeill on March 28, 2009, 11:54:05 AM

Just some though. I spend most of the time drinking tea and telling the lads to read that bit again.

Next!  Whose turn is it to run to the shop to get the Irish News?

ME!  ME!  ME!  ME! ME! ME! ME!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Gnevin

So you work 8 hours a day? Non stop ,no talking no nothing?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gnevin on March 28, 2009, 01:04:19 PM
8 hours is probably pushing it a bit. Don't forget school finishes around 3.30 and includes morning break, lunchtime and free periods

Gnevin

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 28, 2009, 01:38:44 PM
8 hours is probably pushing it a bit. Don't forget school finishes around 3.30 and includes morning break, lunchtime and free periods
And then there is the time when they step outside for a wee chat .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tyrones own

Feck it I'd quit,
seriously, sitting in there with the heater blowing around your ass,
drinking tea while looking out at the rain and sleet knowing that if it wasn't for this
cushy number I have I'd be out there soaked and freezing with the rest
has got to feel pretty good sometimes and make up for some of that extra stuff...No?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gaffer on March 28, 2009, 02:19:38 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 28, 2009, 01:38:44 PM

Revised Curriculum is doing my head in with the amount of preparation required even before you see a pupil.

Alot of this prepapation is done at home in the evenings

Ahh ya poor fella,maybe you should take a few extra weeks holidays for all the extra work you have to put in at home... 
Like none of the rest of us has to take work home with us  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

A lot of people do extra work without being paid for it Gaffer and they don't have 3 months holidays, the job security you lot do or the guaranteed pay rises - stop moaning.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?