Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: screenexile on June 25, 2008, 02:23:05 PM
I'm a qualified teacher myself and the last year of teaching practice is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do... I'm not too keen to rush back into it to be honest as I don't think I have the personality to teach in a secondary school. I would be much happier as a primary teacher I think but then I made the wrong choice when doing my teaching practice so I just have to live with it!

Nothing in teaching is harder than being a student teacher. Remember how you treated them when you were at school. And you were at a convent school. No matter what you came across during your teaching practice (in inner schools in England IIRC), it is unlikely that you will come across anything nearly as difficult.

There is no real reason why you can't teach in a primary school. I know plenty of secondary trained teachers working in primary schools and vice-versa. You should apply to primary jobs anyway. It might help if you join the parish choir or play the organ at mass or other stuff like that. Or it might not. That could be a myth.

Still as ONeill says, give it a try. If it's for you, you'll know. If it's not, you won't spend the rest of your life wondering if you have made the correct career decision.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

nic

No we dont. End of.
While holidays are great, i have had to put up with so much cr*p over the past year from parents it has nearly drove me demented.
Plus i still have to go til the end of july cause when i graduated i couldnt get a goddamn job at home and that doesnt look like changing any time soon.

redcard

My my July already. Not be long now 'till teachers are back at work  ;)

nic

again i say,some of us are still teaching till the end of july :( :(

pintsofguinness

Quote from: nic on June 27, 2008, 06:15:25 PM
No we dont. End of.
While holidays are great, i have had to put up with so much cr*p over the past year from parents it has nearly drove me demented.
Plus i still have to go til the end of july cause when i graduated i couldnt get a goddamn job at home and that doesnt look like changing any time soon.

Although I don't doubt for a second that this is true do you not think that there's an awful lot of people in jobs that mean they have to listen to wankers all day everyday (and not just their work colleagues)? 
I love the way teachers go on about the stress and what they listen to - most people in employment are the same but they aren't off half the year.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

charlie stubbs

teachers deserve a good holiday i think.  it good to wind them up saying its handy.  it not 9-3 they have marking preparing lessons etc.  you think of the amount 2 that spoon feed you whwen you are there, handing work back constantly so that you can get a mark.  this is just the normal teacher nwever mind the ones that take the football teams etc who will be behind 2 or 3 days a week.  you compare that to uni lecturers who are in a couple of hours a day, can take holidays in the middle of the year and genuinely dontgive a f*** about u. 

the amount of shit they get also.  children get cheekier and cheekier every year.  you would need the patience of a saint to do that.  without teachers alot of people wouldnt be in the good jobs they are in know

nic

Thanx charlie- its good to be appreciated and to be honest, ive only been in the job for 4 years but alot of my friends have left already- disheartened with the system and you are right about the children-cheeky as.

off the laces

Quote from: charlie stubbs on July 01, 2008, 08:54:55 PM
teachers deserve a good holiday i think.  it good to wind them up saying its handy.  it not 9-3 they have marking preparing lessons etc.  you think of the amount 2 that spoon feed you whwen you are there, handing work back constantly so that you can get a mark.  this is just the normal teacher nwever mind the ones that take the football teams etc who will be behind 2 or 3 days a week.  you compare that to uni lecturers who are in a couple of hours a day, can take holidays in the middle of the year and genuinely dontgive a f*** about u. 

the amount of shit they get also.  children get cheekier and cheekier every year.  you would need the patience of a saint to do that.  without teachers alot of people wouldnt be in the good jobs they are in know
Charlie from your grammer and puncuation is see you need to go back to school. ;) :D
Keeps 'er' straight

Hound

Quote from: nic on June 27, 2008, 06:15:25 PM

Can you give examples of the stuff you have to deal with from parents that drives you demented?

I have great respect for teachers, the ones with a genuine interest in the children anyway. I think the balance between pay and holidays is about right, though like almost everyone else, I'm sure they'd like few bob more.

Maximus Marillius

this board has gone all quiet because the teachers are now off on holidays. :D

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe children's minister, Kevin Brennan, has called for secondary pupils under the age of 16 to be locked in school grounds at lunchtime to stop them from stocking up on sweets, fizzy drinks and takeaways.

Surely that's nothing new?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

FermGael

Got a nice shiny certificate from Mr Eddie McArdle and the General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland.
He has certified me as a teacher.  That's very nice of him.
The Unions are in full support of this.  Strange that when it seems to be a case of jobs for the boys.
Yet another independent quango being created by the government that will do sweet F.A but create even more paper work down
then line.  Oh yes I fully expect to be paying for this in about 5 years time.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermGael

TYP in all honesty what do you think of this scheme??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

redcard

AUGUST Can't believe it. soon be september

ziggysego

A lot of teachers have said that to me over the pass week. Had to muster all my energy not to slap them.
Testing Accessibility