Thinking of moving kids to a new school...

Started by tbrick18, August 03, 2015, 12:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 03, 2015, 04:47:23 PM
Is it not supposed to be the case that no primary schools are supposed to be preparing children for transfer tests, which I presume you are alluding to when talking about going to a grammar school?

Yes, but that is a bit of a joke. A lot depends on the area of the school and the schools it feeds into. Lurgan schools for example don't prepare the children for the transfer at all really, most of the children just go to the local schools.  If you are closer to Belfast then most of the primary schools will teach to the transfer.  In a lot of cases teaching the P6 and P7 curriculum in their P6 year as the transfer is right at the start of P7!

tbrick18

Quote from: ONeill on August 03, 2015, 07:35:55 PM
school is an integrated school.....which is becoming less and less integrated both from religious and social points of view.

In terms of intake or actively promoting one set of beliefs above another?

A little bit of both, but mostly one set of beliefs/sports being promoted more than another.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Integrated schooling implies an acceptance of the principles of integrated schooling, i.e. those who attend an integrated primary school will also attend an integrated post-primary. These, in the main, are non-selective (don't need transfer test) and priority is given to those who have attended integrated primaries. Hence, no need to prepare for transfer.

I would be very reluctant to move my children at that age.

tbrick18

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 04, 2015, 11:21:13 AM
Integrated schooling implies an acceptance of the principles of integrated schooling, i.e. those who attend an integrated primary school will also attend an integrated post-primary. These, in the main, are non-selective (don't need transfer test) and priority is given to those who have attended integrated primaries. Hence, no need to prepare for transfer.

I would be very reluctant to move my children at that age.

Again I dont want to go too deep into the reasons behind considering moving them, but I will say it's not something we've taken lightly.
I'm fully aware of what the Integrated schooling is meant to be in the ideal situation, but the implementation and delivery of that ethos within each school is key.
I know for a fact that in this particular school, the vast majority of members of the Board of Governors have sent their children to grammar schools and not an integrated post-primary.
I'm all for integration in theory (I've got 3 kids in an integrated school), but integration by its definition is meant to be accepting of all traditions/backgrounds/religions/social standings....when that principle is not being adhered to and your children are missing out on what defines them and are not learning about their own background whilst at the same time having plenty of exposure to "the other" background it leaves you disillusioned with the system.
Our reasons are based around this and what we see as a declining level of education within the school.

Like I said its not a decision we are taking lightly, and the motivation is what's best for our kids education and nothing else. At the moment we feel their educational requirements are not being met, first and foremost. The lack of fully adhering to the integrated ethos is another factor, but only a contributing factor.

JimStynes

I taught in an IPS that sold poppies at the reception and also had children going around the classes selling them to the pupils! Really pissed me off at the time. I didn't let the children wear the poppies in the class and was waiting to be pull on it but nothing ever happened. I can just imagine the uproar if I started selling Easter lilies.  That wouldn't have been the answer though as I don't think there should be any badges or emblems, that can be seen as political, being displayed in school.  The principal was a Free P or something like that, bitter aul bastard! Not the most neutral IPS in the world I have to say.

manfromdelmonte

no transfer tests done in schools in the south, so generally there is no 'coaching' of kids for those tests.

however, having dealt with schools in NI a few times through various north/south projects I was always amazed that schools and teachers had to spend time on these tests, in order to keep up the scores of the school vs neighbouring schools - in the eyes of parents and the wider community.
the thinking being - higher scores equals better pupils, ergo better teaching standards.

It is a very silly way to measure pupil and by extension school performance.

tbrick18

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 04, 2015, 05:32:19 PM
no transfer tests done in schools in the south, so generally there is no 'coaching' of kids for those tests.

however, having dealt with schools in NI a few times through various north/south projects I was always amazed that schools and teachers had to spend time on these tests, in order to keep up the scores of the school vs neighbouring schools - in the eyes of parents and the wider community.
the thinking being - higher scores equals better pupils, ergo better teaching standards.

It is a very silly way to measure pupil and by extension school performance.

Why so?
If the performance of pupils is getting worse year on year is that not an indication the standards are slipping? Leaving transfer out of it, you want your child to have the best chance possible and to do that they need a good education. If the child is learning less and less each year thats not good enough in my opinion.

finbar o tool

i think the main issue would be test scores dropping consistently. and if that's the case surely there's people in the educational dept that would A, be monitoring this, and B, going to do something about it?? can you approach local councilors or TD's?

kids adapt well alright but have you, or are you going to speak to them about the possibility of changing schools? none of my business i guess, but i wouldn't just assume they will be grand.
and as someone said, the grass might not be greener on the other side for various reasons. you are getting inside info from the MRS but you wont get that where ever you go next.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

tbrick18

Quote from: finbar o tool on August 04, 2015, 06:56:53 PM
i think the main issue would be test scores dropping consistently. and if that's the case surely there's people in the educational dept that would A, be monitoring this, and B, going to do something about it?? can you approach local councilors or TD's?

kids adapt well alright but have you, or are you going to speak to them about the possibility of changing schools? none of my business i guess, but i wouldn't just assume they will be grand.
and as someone said, the grass might not be greener on the other side for various reasons. you are getting inside info from the MRS but you wont get that where ever you go next.

We have mentioned it to the kids and they seem kind of excited by the prospect to be honest. Not really what I expected, but we had a look around the possible new school with the kids and they liked it. Mrs. tbrick18 knows one of the teachers in there and generally she said it was good. Also, the mother of the director of the company i work in is a retired teacher from the school and she said she would recommend it. We also asked a couple of parents who we know send their kids to the other school and the reports are all good.
Of course, it could be a case of the grass being greener...unfortunately we feel we have to take the risk.
The only thing holding us back now is trying to find out what the entrance criteria is for P1s. We have twins who will be going to P1 in another couple of years and we need to know if they get a place if there are siblings in the school...this isnt always the case and would put an end to any possible move.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

http://email.cipdmail.com/q/1433uOj02tIHkXN730oKm/wv

Interesting report on the millennial generation and the old 'what's the point in a degree?' debate again.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"