CPA (Club Players Association)

Started by ck, October 18, 2016, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

There has been moves over the weekend to set up a CPA body who will represent the club player. It will not be a GPA type body ie Money and fundraising. Instead it will have one sole focus. Speaking on behalf of club players and getting the national fixtures shambles addressed once and for all.

ck

@sports_db on twitter setting it up. Has 10,000 people signed up already. It's a wonder the media hasn't got hold of it yet

The Subbie

Quote from: ck on October 18, 2016, 12:02:38 AM
There has been moves over the weekend to set up a CPA body who will represent the club player. It will not be a GPA type body ie Money and fundraising. Instead it will have one sole focus. Speaking on behalf of club players and getting the national fixtures shambles addressed once and for all.

Declan Brennan isn't a bad lad, has managed a few clubs to decent levels of success, my own club included, he would be fairly close to Niall Moyna & would be no ones fool.

I'd expect this will gain legs for him.

Jinxy

Get the Dublin super clubs on board, then you'll get people's attention.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ck

Quote from: Jinxy on October 18, 2016, 08:30:11 AM
Get the Dublin super clubs on board, then you'll get people's attention.

I agree. Croke park won't give a damn until they get bad press

mayo.mick

Quote from: ck on October 18, 2016, 12:16:17 AM
@sports_db on twitter setting it up. Has 10,000 people signed up already. It's a wonder the media hasn't got hold of it yet

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/declan-brennan-plans-club-player-body-after-10000-messages-426292.html

"Former Monaghan selector Declan Brennan has unveiled plans to establish a Club Players Association (CPA), revealing that he's received over 10,000 messages from interested parties wishing to contribute."
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

five points

Quote from: mayo.mick on October 18, 2016, 04:47:22 PM
Quote from: ck on October 18, 2016, 12:16:17 AM

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/declan-brennan-plans-club-player-body-after-10000-messages-426292.html

"Former Monaghan selector Declan Brennan has unveiled plans to establish a Club Players Association (CPA), revealing that he's received over 10,000 messages from interested parties wishing to contribute."

Sounds more like a club manager's association than a club players association.

thewobbler

Such a waste of time. It's representation for the sake of representation.

The only way the club player will get the schedule he deserves is if the overwhelming majority of clubs - not the county boards, not the central council - are fully behind making it happen.

Clubs need to get their shop in order and agree to, at a minimum:

- Reduce the size of leagues to a practical number of fixtures, even if it means accepting a season or two in a lower league (than expected) from time to time.

- Fulfil their fixtures on time, with the season broken into blocks in which apportioned games cannot take place afterwards.... even if it means playing twice a week at certain times of year.

- Commit to playing a sensible number of league fixtures without county players

- Get behind their county team if they make it to August, and accept that if this might mean a club championship without county players, then so be it. We don't have to try to eat every pie every year.

Or in summary, in my experience, the majority of clubs will do anything they can to call off a game. That's the attitude shift that's required. A player's union can do feck all to address it.

muppet

Why would a club players' association be great and a county one not great?

Serious question.
MWWSI 2017

sligoman2

I think it's a great idea and one I fully support.  Remember the club player is also the fundraiser, the stand-in ref, the underage manager, the jersey washer, the admission taker, the grass cutter, the field liner, the lad traveling from Dublin for matches, the fella at meetings, the first at training and the last to complain AND the most poorly treated member of the association.

Well done to the organisers.  Time for change.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Itchy

Quote from: thewobbler on October 18, 2016, 08:29:34 PM

The only way the club player will get the schedule he deserves is if the overwhelming majority of clubs - not the county boards, not the central council - are fully behind making it happen.

- Reduce the size of leagues to a practical number of fixtures, even if it means accepting a season or two in a lower league (than expected) from time to time.

- Fulfil their fixtures on time, with the season broken into blocks in which apportioned games cannot take place afterwards.... even if it means playing twice a week at certain times of year.

- Get behind their county team if they make it to August, and accept that if this might mean a club championship without county players, then so be it. We don't have to try to eat every pie every year.

Or in summary, in my experience, the majority of clubs will do anything they can to call off a game. That's the attitude shift that's required. A player's union can do feck all to address it.

That's the greatest load of shit I have ever read on here. The GAA needs to realise without clubs there will be nothing. It's the intercoubty season that needs to be shortened and its the intercounty manager that needs to accept that players must be available for clubs. What you are proposing there would kill the GAA grassroots stone dead.

I think the cpa is a great idea. A small minority's of elite players are the only spokesmen for all players. Time for the silent majority to be heard.

Boycey

A club championship without county players is the worst idea I've ever heard... Why should any team play its most important fixtures without their best players. If you don't look after the clubs you will have no GAA..

thewobbler

Quote from: Itchy on October 18, 2016, 09:08:38 PM

That's the greatest load of shit I have ever read on here. The GAA needs to realise without clubs there will be nothing. It's the intercoubty season that needs to be shortened and its the intercounty manager that needs to accept that players must be available for clubs. What you are proposing there would kill the GAA grassroots stone dead.

I think the cpa is a great idea. A small minority's of elite players are the only spokesmen for all players. Time for the silent majority to be heard.

You've unwittingly opened the window on the problem here chief.

"The silent majority". Who are they? Club players have been banging on loudly about their maltreatment for the last 30 years.

But instead of trying to find solutions, they (and their clubs) just keep digging their heels in further and further. It's horrendous whataboutery on a DUP scale.

Well, what about this... some compromise? What about, instead of harping on about mistreatment, trying to find logical, practical ways to ensure that as much football is played over the 6 warmer months as possible? What about, just for a couple of months a year- when it's going at full tilt - not emotionally bullying elite players into playing club matches when they have earned the right to compete at a higher level?

You're absolutely right to promote the importance of clubs. But if you believe that  the GAA can compete for the hearts and minds of young people without the shop window, the glory, the elite sporting opportunity, or the revenue that the county game generates, then you've lost the plot.

Stop looking upon the County game as competition, and start looking upon it as the pinnacle of our sport. Wish your club mates well when they're good enough to play at that level, and look forward to seeing them when they've got the time and focus to give to your club. Treat them as a bonus, not a right.

Do that and the club scene can actually thrive. Kee pretending that somehow you can can divide a human being in two, and we will keep going around in circles forever.

Is this really that hard to understand?

Itchy

Quote from: thewobbler on October 18, 2016, 10:16:42 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 18, 2016, 09:08:38 PM

You've unwittingly opened the window on the problem here chief.

"The silent majority". Who are they? Club players have been banging on loudly about their maltreatment for the last 30 years.

But instead of trying to find solutions, they (and their clubs) just keep digging their heels in further and further. It's horrendous whataboutery on a DUP scale.

Well, what about this... some compromise? What about, instead of harping on about mistreatment, trying to find logical, practical ways to ensure that as much football is played over the 6 warmer months as possible? What about, just for a couple of months a year- when it's going at full tilt - not emotionally bullying elite players into playing club matches when they have earned the right to compete at a higher level?

You're absolutely right to promote the importance of clubs. But if you believe that  the GAA can compete for the hearts and minds of young people without the shop window, the glory, the elite sporting opportunity, or the revenue that the county game generates, then you've lost the plot.

Stop looking upon the County game as competition, and start looking upon it as the pinnacle of our sport. Wish your club mates well when they're good enough to play at that level, and look forward to seeing them when they've got the time and focus to give to your club. Treat them as a bonus, not a right.

Do that and the club scene can actually thrive. Kee pretending that somehow you can can divide a human being in two, and we will keep going around in circles forever.

Is this really that hard to understand?

All I can say to that is I totally and utterly disagree. The IRFU killed the local game doing something similar. What you are proposing is the road to professionalism. Saying the club players are loudly banging their drum, well obviously not loud enough cos no one has listened to one thing. Not croke park, not provincials and not county boards. Clubs need to know exactly when they will be playing and when they won't up front and some help for player welfare might be nice too. What we have at the moment is the opposite and most clubs are struggling to field teams now because it's just too long of a season. Meanwhile many of the elite county men piss off to the US instead of taking a few measley weeks to represent the club that put them where they are. It couldn't be more if a mess.

ck

Such utter nonsense from the wobbler above.
This is not a club V county matter. This is the highlighting of the ridiculous fixtures calendar that is the GAA