Laois Intermediate Football Championship 2018

Started by The PRO, July 11, 2018, 11:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Quote from: Laoiseabu on August 26, 2018, 11:06:04 PM
Quote from: Butch Cassidy on August 26, 2018, 10:26:49 PM
Anyone from the intermediate championship putting their hand up for a Laois call up next year?
Well from MM you'd have Coss , Hanrahan ,George and Mullins all who have been in around the setup before so I don't know if that means they will be tried again . Keogh the goalkeeper for MM is Brody's backup .The Rock didn't have anyone this morning worth looking at same goes for Barrowhouse . Portlaoise and Joseph's are second teams so no . Rosenallis would be a young side but I feel no one yet up to senior intercounty standard anyway . Fennell was on the panel last year for some of the league but found it tough going. Then leaves Courtwood , well Donoher is on the panel despite thinking of retirement from Laois I hear , some decent younger players that still need to maybe develop for another year or two I feel . Lutrell has been on league and OByrne cup setups but nothing more . Luke Doyle for Courtwood is injured at the moment but I feel he might be worth a look at when he gets back to Fitness . Timahoe have Damien o Connor on the panel already and his cousin Ruari was part of the panel as a sub two years ago . Quigley is injured so I'd say he won't be back .Sean Ramsbottom has been on and off the panel too. Other than that Timahoe wouldn't have much and seem to have gone backwards a lot .

The most pointless post ever. Rosenalis and Courtwood alone have a number of lads who are worth a look, and just because you are in a second team, it shouldn't mean you are dismissed. There are lads in Josephs and Portlaoise who with the right guidance could be anything they want to be. I hope Sugrue has more of an open mind than you, and I'm guessing he has

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on August 27, 2018, 10:25:45 AM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on August 26, 2018, 11:06:04 PM
Quote from: Butch Cassidy on August 26, 2018, 10:26:49 PM
Anyone from the intermediate championship putting their hand up for a Laois call up next year?
Well from MM you'd have Coss , Hanrahan ,George and Mullins all who have been in around the setup before so I don't know if that means they will be tried again . Keogh the goalkeeper for MM is Brody's backup .The Rock didn't have anyone this morning worth looking at same goes for Barrowhouse . Portlaoise and Joseph's are second teams so no . Rosenallis would be a young side but I feel no one yet up to senior intercounty standard anyway . Fennell was on the panel last year for some of the league but found it tough going. Then leaves Courtwood , well Donoher is on the panel despite thinking of retirement from Laois I hear , some decent younger players that still need to maybe develop for another year or two I feel . Lutrell has been on league and OByrne cup setups but nothing more . Luke Doyle for Courtwood is injured at the moment but I feel he might be worth a look at when he gets back to Fitness . Timahoe have Damien o Connor on the panel already and his cousin Ruari was part of the panel as a sub two years ago . Quigley is injured so I'd say he won't be back .Sean Ramsbottom has been on and off the panel too. Other than that Timahoe wouldn't have much and seem to have gone backwards a lot .

The most pointless post ever. Rosenalis and Courtwood alone have a number of lads who are worth a look, and just because you are in a second team, it shouldn't mean you are dismissed. There are lads in Josephs and Portlaoise who with the right guidance could be anything they want to be. I hope Sugrue has more of an open mind than you, and I'm guessing he has
Ah here, if a lad hasn't got it to break into his own clubs first team, what makes you think he's going to break into an intercounty set up?

High Fielder

I think there are lads in both Portlaoise and Josephs who have potential. Who knows what goes in their clubs or in their private life, but I certainly wouldn't discard them out of hand. A good coach will spot things that others have missed and Sugrue in my opinion has that ability. I would say the door is open in both those clubs to any player to make the step up, and I'm aware of more than one example in both where they are waiting for a lad to show them the real extent of their ability

Laoiseabu

I personally think that if you can't make your clubs first team then how can you make an intercounty setup. You'd have to break onto your first team anyway then see where that takes ye

High Fielder

You as good as wrote off the entire Intermediate grade, so forgive me if I don't follow your lead. You made no mention of Aaron Dowling in the Rock, Eoin Dunne in Rosenalis, O'Flynn in Courtwood and many others. Rosenalis and Courtwood alone could have a number of lads putting their hand up`this year. Try to keep an open mind and not be so dismissive

Laoiseabu

Forgot to mention Eoin Dunne from Rosenallis . Aaron Dowling hardly got a kick yesterday for the rock and struggled with Laois this year especially after the O'Byrne cup . As I said some of the Courtwood lads are very young and haven't been properly tested yet so we will see how they progress . I named a number of players from Mountmellick , Timahoe and one or two from Courtwood and Rosenallis so your wrong in saying I wrote off the entire grade .

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on August 27, 2018, 11:22:00 AM
You as good as wrote off the entire Intermediate grade, so forgive me if I don't follow your lead. You made no mention of Aaron Dowling in the Rock, Eoin Dunne in Rosenalis, O'Flynn in Courtwood and many others. Rosenalis and Courtwood alone could have a number of lads putting their hand up`this year. Try to keep an open mind and not be so dismissive
Nobody wrote off the Intermediate grade, well I didnt anyway. I'd expect any lad who makes an intercounty set up, to have the intestinal fortitude to make his own clubs adult side first.

The ones you mentioned are all playing for their clubs first team.

High Fielder

I wasn't addressing you Don and I didn't see any of those names mentioned above in the original post which was just listing what we already know. A lad can go from Intermediate to Senior and then County in the blink of an eye. He might only be in Intermediate for developmental reasons. I have no doubt that Dowling in Portlaoise for instance will fall into that category eventually.

Laoiseabu

Gary Saunders might alright High Fielder  but I think Dowling is very very very small especially for intercounty

Laoiseabu

But I will admit high fielder there are some lads in some clubs in Laois who are totally written off at club level even and with the right guidance would be way better than some of their fellow players starting  in their club teams . That sort of carry on is a serious waste .

Jd

While I can see why some would say that the Gaels have been bad for senior football I'd say that's it's the way they're set up is the problem. I'd suggest that a Gaels team should be a senior football club amalgamated with an intermediate/ junior football club from the same parish or at least sharing a boundary.lower ranked team still playing in their own championship aswell. Where hurling clubs are involved it seems to be that the hurlers just come and play when available. That's something you'll get away with at lower levels but for top class football as with hurling your touch and eye have to be perfect otherwise you're in bother. If I was training all year and a fella who's first love is hurling for a nearby club dropped in for championship I  reckon I'd be seriously aggrieved thus causing friction within the group. Maybe if hurling clubs became involved with junior/intermediate clubs and the Gaels situations were for two football clubs it might work better. I'm not in any way shape or form anti hurling by the way and apologies if I have been clumsy with the way I've explained my thoughts

SCFC

Semis tomorrow.
Mountmellick should have enough for Rosenallis. The other one could be very tight. Maybe Courtwood could edge it but Portlaoise have a good record in this grade and possibly should have won it last year.

From the Terrace

i dont think theres much between any of these teams, will be decent games hopefully. Hopefully john sugrue will be in attendance this is where he'll find out about whether players good enough for intercounty.

The PRO

As expected comfortable enough for the 2 favourites yesterday.
Portlaoise gave Courtwood a decent test but were second best throughout. Mountmellick Castletown 😉 were more impressive in the second game. James Mullaney at 11 the standout player. Reddin at 7 and Coss midfield both great too.

From the Terrace

Hoped for more competitive games tbh. Mountmellick gaels have this won imo.