The assisted lift, or whatever it's called

Started by Eamonnca1, March 24, 2014, 06:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quiganmaster

Here's anther one for you's boys, what's to stop someone from picking up the ball, getting the team to huddle around him and gradually move up the pitch towards the net where a small opening would be created for the player to kick the ball into the net. Fully legal in my eyes...  ::)

rrhf

Can you use tennis rackets to play hurley or is that just called rounders. 

theticklemister

Quote from: johnneycool on March 24, 2014, 01:55:49 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2014, 11:20:28 AM
I've often idly speculated about it myself just for gas. It looks so spectacular in rugby. But of course it's unworkable for the reasons AZOffaly points out.

What remains, though, since there's no rule that bans it, is the question of what happens when it's tried for the first time, as could quite easily happen.

All-Ireland Final 2014. The teams are level. Last kick of the game is a 45. Mickey Newman's kick is accurate and is going to sail about four feet over the black spot to break Louth hearts yet again. But The Louth lads have been doing a bit of practice in training for fun. The full back leaps and, as he does, the two corner backs grab a leg each and hoist him. He pulls the ball down into his chest and returns safely to earth.

The referee blows the whistle. Is it the final whistle, replay in two weeks? Or is it another free. If so, what for?

If it's allowed, as it might be, since I can't find a rule that disallows it, it'll be tried again in the league and will be be quickly banned as it would be impossible in our game to make it safe with the rules that rugby applies. But, in the meantime ...

Meath and Louth contesting the last 45 in the dying seconds of an AI final (Where does the absurdity begin and end in that statement!!!)

Some size of corner backs in louth

AZOffaly

Quote from: quiganmaster on March 24, 2014, 10:50:13 PM
Here's anther one for you's boys, what's to stop someone from picking up the ball, getting the team to huddle around him and gradually move up the pitch towards the net where a small opening would be created for the player to kick the ball into the net. Fully legal in my eyes...  ::)

I think that would create the dreaded 3rd man tackle.

Main Street

If any of those strokes had practical value on the field of play, then Tyrone would already be doing it.

I don't get the lifting in the rugby line out, what's the point of allowing it?
Was it to prevent sides from getting an advantage due to having some giant sized player who could pluck the line out ball at ease?

Wildweasel74

Watch the highlights of the rugger world cup final 95, the lifting rule came in after that. line out were fairly messy affairs, where only a real line out jumper like John Eales soared through the skies before the line change.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: quiganmaster on March 24, 2014, 10:50:13 PM

Under Category II infractions:
Rule 5.29 B "to charge an opponent: (i) who is not in possession of the ball"
Rule 5.29 C "to charge an opponent for the purpose of giving an advantage to a teammate."

Nice try though!

johnneycool

Quote from: theticklemister on March 24, 2014, 10:57:26 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 24, 2014, 01:55:49 PM
I've often idly speculated about it myself just for gas. It looks so spectacular in rugby. But of course it's unworkable for the reasons AZOffaly points out.

What remains, though, since there's no rule that bans it, is the question of what happens when it's tried for the first time, as could quite easily happen.

All-Ireland Final 2014. The teams are level. Last kick of the game is a 45. Mickey Newman's kick is accurate and is going to sail about four feet over the black spot to break Louth hearts yet again. But The Louth lads have been doing a bit of practice in training for fun. The full back leaps and, as he does, the two corner backs grab a leg each and hoist him. He pulls the ball down into his chest and returns safely to earth.

The referee blows the whistle. Is it the final whistle, replay in two weeks? Or is it another free. If so, what for?

If it's allowed, as it might be, since I can't find a rule that disallows it, it'll be tried again in the league and will be be quickly banned as it would be impossible in our game to make it safe with the rules that rugby applies. But, in the meantime ...

Meath and Louth contesting the last 45 in the dying seconds of an AI final (Where does the absurdity begin and end in that statement!!!)

Some size of corner backs in louth
And the Louth midfielder might like to mind where those thumbs go!!

Hardy

Jinxy

What's to stop a fella just rolling over the goal-line with the ball?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

LeoMc

Rugby type moves in a Meath v Louth final! What put that ridiculous idea in your head.