Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

Great result tonight. I just love the way Gilmore has only one thing on his mind when he gets the ball - what's my shortest route to goal - taking the man on - no problem.. he is difficult to dispossess when in possession. Murdock was good and the introduction of the Kilcoo trio in the second half left us with a platform to go win the game. Third goalkeeper used this season - are we any closer to finding a suitable number one for the team?
Brown, Collins and A Doherty were below parr and how many chances is McParland going to get before they realise he is past his best at this level.

Blackandblue2

Great result last night. Some people just love a complaint on here. Of course a Kilcoo manager is going to use Kilcoo players, luckily for us they are all Ireland winners and we should squeeze every bit out of them as we can. First 30 minutes was a lot better defensively, Mc Parland, Antony Dothery and Collins clearly on to shore up. Black card meant Down were run over for 8 mins and conceded 4/5.

Great to have real quality coming off the bench and finishing games in a flurry, we couldn start and maintain that frantic pace/shape every game. We got lucky in the second half at times but great to get a win

County Star

Quote from: Lotto on February 25, 2023, 07:40:14 PM
Well done Kilcoo tonight
very immature. We have all wanted the best players in county to be available for selection and it's idiots like you coming up with stupid comments like that . Wise up

downtothecore

We need the best players in down working together and fighting for positions. Liam kerr and oran murdock are the key men for Down but it clear they need help if we are to progress and Ryan Johnston cetainly helped a lot when introduced. I think also Sheelan Johnston would be a good impact sub if his head is right.

Truth hurts

dingle82

Great finish by Down, subs defiantly made an impact. Worry about Jerome Johnstone though as he looked off the pace. Down really need to find a full and centre back to steady up the back and also a target man at full forward..  Lots of direct ball played in the first half with WMeath full back dealing with comfortably.. Also ff Heslin got more ball we would have been in big trouble as seemed to glide through easy when he got quick ball. If only Down can perform for a full match be a match for most teams.

Truth hurts

Saturday showed us that in the modern game you need to be athletic at fit. Charlie in nets pushed up in the second half and gave the Westmeath keeper with little options, this is why he should be number 1.
McEvoy and Laverty offers plenty of pace. Unfortunately Niall struggles with the drier ground. Murdock is the man around the middle but we need another like him. Gilmore has to start every game and Ryan Johnston is a certain starter for me. Jerome looks off the pace and even struggled for Kilcoo last year.

ardtole

Morgan could be an option at 6, Havern seems to have lost a bit of form since OHagan got injured, they worked well together.

Is Peter Fegan due back soon?

Truth hurts

team v Cavan
1. Smyth
2. Collins
3. McAvoy
4. Laverty
5. Morgan
6. Magill
7. Eugene Brannigan
8. Murdock
9. Mason
10. Kerr
11. Ryan J
12. Wee doc
13.Jerome
14. Big Pat
15. Gilly

downtothecore

That's a good 15. Agree I think Charlie smith is a good option because mainly he comes out the field. I not convinced on Jerome yet but maybe a last 20 min sub appearance. The team still needs to find someone who can reliably pop the 50s over and hit frees from both side.

urbangael

3 keepers in 4 games so that position is up for grabs. Ryan Magill has impressed since he's come in.  I also thought Shane Annett done ok last week in Fermanagh and would like to see him get another chance. We aren't overly physical and the middle sector is a concern.  Young Murdock is a quality player but can't expect a 19 yr old do do it all.  Agree JJ looked rusty but that will diminish with more training and game time. Ryan J gives us something different and I was happy to see him introduced.  Cavan away is likely to be the toughest game. In the words of Napoleon I would rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good... the luck seems to be with Lav at the win so lets roll with it! He isn't afraid to make a change and I'm certain those players got a serious bollocking at half time.  Fair play to him.  A win in Breffini and we could be looking at Div 2. 

ardtole

Lloyd p

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 27, 2023, 10:53:08 AM
team v Cavan
1. Smyth
2. Collins
3. McAvoy
4. Laverty
5. Morgan
6. Magill
7. Eugene Brannigan
8. Murdock
9. Mason
10. Kerr
11. Ryan J
12. Wee doc
13.Jerome
14. Big Pat
15. Gilly

Is eugene in the squad? And Rory mason at midfield?

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 27, 2023, 10:53:08 AM
team v Cavan
1. Smyth
2. Collins
3. McAvoy
4. Laverty
5. Morgan
6. Magill
7. Eugene Brannigan
8. Murdock
9. Mason
10. Kerr
11. Ryan J
12. Wee doc
13.Jerome
14. Big Pat
15. Gilly

My god we were crying on here for Kilcoo players to commit and now we have 8 and some people still name a Kilcoo player in starting 15 who is not even training with the squad. When will it end..
I would put Ryan McEvoy in midfield and Niall Donnelly into full back - has experience playing there and doesn't need to drive up the pitch as often as McEvoy. How can you start Collins after that performance on Saturday night is beyond me and Mason is a decent player - but 100% not a county midfielder!
But it's opinions I suppose.

Ed Hardy

Is Ruairi O'Hare from Saul not involved at all or is he injured?
Could be an option at 14, and allow Pat to MF if needed.