Games on TV this weekend

Started by ck, February 18, 2020, 09:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan Tremblay

Watched both games yesterday. 

Thought for long periods of the games, Dublin and Tyrone dominated, but Armagh were always there, and back in those days both teams kept trying to get another point, instead of holding the ball around the middle. 

In the Tyrone game there was a lot of inconsistent referring decisions, not sure what Canavan got the road for, not sure how Ricey didn't?
O'Neil was some baller adn had some top scores. 

Football has changed and really not for the better. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Taylor

Quote from: An Watcher on May 10, 2020, 09:34:13 PM
Was it later proved that o'neill hadn't got two yellow cards? Totally robbed by an inept refereeing performance but would we have won the big one if we had won that?

Funny enough I was thinking that as the camera panned to ONeill sitting on the ground after getting the red.

I honestly think if we had won that game we wouldnt have won Sam - that loss seemed to refocus us and the hunger/anger/hurt drove us on

RedHand88

Quote from: BennyCake on May 10, 2020, 11:22:03 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 10, 2020, 09:02:00 PM
Jaysus Tyrone were robbed that day. Robbed.

Robbed me hole.

McMenamins foot block (that's a penalty), knees on McEntee, elbowing another, and still no red card?

McEntee through on goal fouled by Cavanagh, nothing given.

Take off your red tinted glasses

The advantage was played with McEntee. He narrowly missed his shot, so you can't have it both ways.

The knees and elbow incidents were in the final minutes when the game was over. Was a red, however it would not have affected the result. Armagh had won by that stage. What DID affect the result was canavan being sent off halfway through the second half for being dragged around by thugs and oneill being sent off for a first yellow.

Strange how I felt myself getting angry watching it even though its been 15 years, 2 all Irelands, and a division between us  ;D

bamboo

If you watch it again, Canavan manhandled/pushed the linesman so maybe that's what the red was for?

BennyCake

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 11, 2020, 11:33:28 AM

Thought for long periods of the games, Dublin and Tyrone dominated, but Armagh were always there, and back in those days both teams kept trying to get another point, instead of holding the ball around the middle. 

In the Tyrone game there was a lot of inconsistent referring decisions, not sure what Canavan got the road for, not sure how Ricey didn't?

Canavan got red because he was the instigator in that ruckus. He went in hard and aggressively on McGeeney. There was also a glove up around the neck of McG a second or so later, although it's inconclusive if it was Canavan or not, or whether there was a strike/grabbing of the neck.

Anyway, aggressive or not, it wasn't a red. But like the Mayo/Meath ruckus in 1996, the ref had to single out 1 from each, in order to gain some control over the game. So McKeever gave him an easy decision. Someone then had to go from Tyrone, and as the instigator, it probably had to be Canavan.

It was nasty and bitter though. Since both aren't contesting AI's now, some of that has gone. But I'm sure this thread will bring it back  ;D

It was played at a frantic pace though. A bit like, see who can score the most before the ball owner's ma calls him (and his ball) in for his dinner.

trueblue1234

Quote from: bamboo on May 11, 2020, 01:52:16 PM
If you watch it again, Canavan manhandled/pushed the linesman so maybe that's what the red was for?
It wasn't. Red was overturned later.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyCake

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 11, 2020, 01:18:57 PM

Robbed me hole.

McMenamins foot block (that's a penalty), knees on McEntee, elbowing another, and still no red card?

The advantage was played with McEntee. He narrowly missed his shot, so you can't have it both ways.

The knees and elbow incidents were in the final minutes when the game was over. Was a red, however it would not have affected the result. Armagh had won by that stage. What DID affect the result was canavan being sent off halfway through the second half for being dragged around by thugs and oneill being sent off for a first yellow.

Strange how I felt myself getting angry watching it even though its been 15 years, 2 all Irelands, and a division between us  ;D

McEntee was shoved as he kicked the ball. Hardly an advantage

Afaik there was 1 point in it when McMen dropped the knees. Still time for Tyrone to get back into it.

So no Tyrone players were dragging in that scrap? Tyrone = innocent bystanders, Armagh = thugs? Aye, dead on.

What you're forgetting is both teams had a man sent off after it. So how was Tyrone unfairly treated and Armagh weren't?

RedHand88

Look at us, arguing over a match from 15 years ago. I miss those days. I think we can all agree the pace of the play back then was incredible. Proper gung ho go all out football. Some of those angled shots in that game, you'd be subbed off if you tried it now.

Taylor

Quote from: BennyCake on May 11, 2020, 02:16:03 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 11, 2020, 11:33:28 AM

Canavan got red because he was the instigator in that ruckus. He went in hard and aggressively on McGeeney. There was also a glove up around the neck of McG a second or so later, although it's inconclusive if it was Canavan or not, or whether there was a strike/grabbing of the neck.

Anyway, aggressive or not, it wasn't a red. But like the Mayo/Meath ruckus in 1996, the ref had to single out 1 from each, in order to gain some control over the game. So McKeever gave him an easy decision. Someone then had to go from Tyrone, and as the instigator, it probably had to be Canavan.

It was nasty and bitter though. Since both aren't contesting AI's now, some of that has gone. But I'm sure this thread will bring it back  ;D

It was played at a frantic pace though. A bit like, see who can score the most before the ball owner's ma calls him (and his ball) in for his dinner.

Or maybe see who can misplace the ball the most or shoot on sight the most.

Much better game as a viewing spectacle than nowadays

Angelo

Robbed me hole.

It's amazing people still talk about what Ricey did that day and barely a dickey bird on what Paul McGrane did. A filthy closed fist tackle on McGuigan that caught him around the face and should have been a straight red and later on in the game he left the knees in on Gormley after he was fouled.

Did McGrane get a ban after that match?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

BennyCake

Quote from: Angelo on May 11, 2020, 04:36:37 PM

Robbed me hole.

It's amazing people still talk about what Ricey did that day and barely a dickey bird on what Paul McGrane did. A filthy closed fist tackle on McGuigan that caught him around the face and should have been a straight red and later on in the game he left the knees in on Gormley after he was fouled.

McGrane's was during play. McMen's wasn't. Plenty of players tackle with a closed fist. But it was mistimed and it should have been red. I won't deny that. By the way, it was Jordan.

Don't recall the Gormley incident. Was it shown last night?

Tyrone got the lawyers in, and got their innocent lads off. McGrane ban was overturned too.

Angelo

Quote from: BennyCake on May 11, 2020, 05:39:03 PM

Robbed me hole.

McGrane's was during play. McMen's wasn't. Plenty of players tackle with a closed fist. But it was mistimed and it should have been red. I won't deny that. By the way, it was Jordan.

Tyrone got the lawyers in, and got their innocent lads off. McGrane ban was overturned too.

What difference does that make?

Both were done with intent and malice, the force of McGrane's swing was a lot more dangerous than McMenamin's if anything.

The Gormley incident was shown last night, McGrane went in with his knees on a prone Gormley rather than dropping on him, again very dangerous at the minimum.

Can't remember if McGrane got a ban at the time but it was reckless at the minimum and you don't tackle with a close fist with that kind of force unless you want to do a bit of damage.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

BennyCake

Lots of players try to dislodge the ball from players hands using the fist. It was hard to know if that was what McGrane was trying to do, because Jordan was going to the floor (as usual). An upright player in that position might have got a dig in the ribs and carried on. We see it loads of times.

But McMenamin's was a deliberate and disgusting act.

BennyCake

Quote from: trailer on May 11, 2020, 10:50:55 AM
Tyrone were absolutely robbed the 1st day as well. McConville lifted the ball clean off the ground for his goal. In saying that I think the defeat gave Tyrone a new emphasis, Armagh thought they were the better team. They were far to confident thereafter and the SF defeat finished them completely as any sort of force.

Devine also stepped behind the line with A Kernan's Free kick.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on May 11, 2020, 05:57:33 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 11, 2020, 05:39:03 PM

Robbed me hole.

What difference does that make?

Both were done with intent and malice, the force of McGrane's swing was a lot more dangerous than McMenamin's if anything.

The Gormley incident was shown last night, McGrane went in with his knees on a prone Gormley rather than dropping on him, again very dangerous at the minimum.

Can't remember if McGrane got a ban at the time but it was reckless at the minimum and you don't tackle with a close fist with that kind of force unless you want to do a bit of damage.

You cannot for one second say for sure if McGrane meant to do damage or not with that tackle. He should have been red carded though, that's beyond doubt. McMenamin on the other hand....

I had also forgotten about some of your players tendency to grip an opponents arm and fall to ground winning a free. Sneaky. Refs should have been wise to it