China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Russians very quiet in all of this.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2020, 11:13:04 PM

We live in a world that is absolutely and utterly connected.

"Significantly promote transmission of disease".

Have you ever observed how quickly the common cold spreads throughout a nursery school / early primary school class?

This doesn't happen because a group of them are subjected to it from external activities. One of them connects with it, and spreads it to those they meet.

So if one haulier, one diplomat, one international footballer, one priest, one relative coming back from a funeral on a helicopter or yacht, one whoever, arrives back from their "essential duties" abroad, and is infected, it will spread.

Maybe not as quickly as with having airports open, but it will spread.

The only way to stop it spreading is to stop it coming in. Except you can't do that in the modern world. No matter how hard you try.

"not as quickly" is something worth having. As long as the numbers remain low enough for people to be treated then the death rate will be low. If it exceeds what the health service can cope with then the death rate will be a multiple of this and many people will die needlessly. Singapore is an example of place open for business that has kept things under control.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnnycool

Quote from: armaghniac on March 05, 2020, 11:03:59 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2020, 10:57:28 PM
When you're asking "why didn't they just shut down this single essential service?", it's not that simple. Is is the role of government to arbitrarily decide which services (and therefore jobs) remain fully open, partially open, or closed? How do they decide this? How do they decide which livelihoods to f**k with entirely, partially, or not at all?

They should f**k with the livelihoods of activities which significantly promote transmission of disease, and do not provide a service you cannot do without.  There is a balance of course, and things are still under control, but definite measures may be needed for a few weeks in due course.

Where do you draw the line? Close the ports also, no? Cancel all buses, trains, schools, cinema's, sporting events, religious gatherings, supermarkets...

trailer

GetOverTheBar

Closing the airports is a no go. It's not even an option. It's not on the table lads. We are not at war or cutting ourselves off North Korean style.

https://www.who.int/ith/2019-nCoV_advice_for_international_traffic-rev/en/

AFM

Sure it's just the flu!

GetOverTheBar

Oh great it's the Grim Reaper again....

I couldn't be bothered with you today lad. If you want to spread more doom and gloom go elsewhere as I'm not buying it.

As of this morning the instructions from the WHO are still to wash your hands, maintain social distance, practise respiratory hygiene and if you have a cough or fever seek medical help to help stem the spread. Not exactly defcon 1 advice.

AFM

Not exactly the flu either - have you copped on to that yet?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: AFM on March 06, 2020, 10:23:25 AM

Keep banging the death knell lad. Doesn't make it the end of days you long for.

Life can't be that bad for you, you actively want this to be as serious as you are making out.

I suggest getting off the internet and going outside, it's wonderful - does a lot of the mind to get out and about, gives a positive perspective on life.

AFM

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 06, 2020, 10:28:13 AM

Life can't be that bad for you, you actively want this to be as serious as you are making out.

I suggest getting off the internet and going outside, it's wonderful - does a lot of the mind to get out and about, gives a positive perspective on life.

Wtf are you talking about you head is so far up your own arse you don't realise the crap you are spouting - lets be clear lad you made a tool of yourself trying to be the big man saying its just the flu - sick quoting you on it, I pointed out it is not - where are I saying its the end of days, acknowledge you made a **** of yourself trying to be the smart man and move on, you know f**k all about me but I do know you were found out and you haven't the balls to say opps maybe it is more serious than the flu, instead you are ranting and making shite up - cop yourself on you halfwit.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: AFM on March 06, 2020, 10:37:18 AM

Wtf are you talking about you head is so far up your own arse you don't realise the crap you are spouting - lets be clear lad you made a tool of yourself trying to be the big man saying its just the flu - sick quoting you on it, I pointed out it is not - where are I saying its the end of days, acknowledge you made a **** of yourself trying to be the smart man and move on, you know f**k all about me but I do know you were found out and you haven't the balls to say opps maybe it is more serious than the flu, instead you are ranting and making shite up - cop yourself on you halfwit.

You have massive problems. We'll leave it at that.

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on March 06, 2020, 08:48:32 AM
When you're asking "why didn't they just shut down this single essential service?", it's not that simple. Is is the role of government to arbitrarily decide which services (and therefore jobs) remain fully open, partially open, or closed? How do they decide this? How do they decide which livelihoods to f**k with entirely, partially, or not at all?

They should f**k with the livelihoods of activities which significantly promote transmission of disease, and do not provide a service you cannot do without.  There is a balance of course, and things are still under control, but definite measures may be needed for a few weeks in due course.

Where do you draw the line? Close the ports also, no? Cancel all buses, trains, schools, cinema's, sporting events, religious gatherings, supermarkets...

This list includes ports, supermarkets etc which are necessary for people to eat and cinemas which are not essential. It isn't reasonable to close supermarkets for this virus, but it may be reasonable to close cinemas. Places like Singapore have had transmission in churches and no longer have big services, but their economy is still operating. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AFM

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 06, 2020, 10:42:04 AM
Quote from: AFM on March 06, 2020, 10:37:18 AM

You have massive problems. We'll leave it at that.

And you are a complete liar and a coward.

johnnycool

Quote from: armaghniac on March 06, 2020, 10:52:13 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 06, 2020, 08:48:32 AM

This list includes ports, supermarkets etc which are necessary for people to eat and cinemas which are not essential. It isn't reasonable to close supermarkets for this virus, but it may be reasonable to close cinemas. Places like Singapore have had transmission in churches and no longer have big services, but their economy is still operating.

If you worked in a supermarket you might think differently.

You're not going to stop the likes of the corona virus, it's really only mitigation at this stage, so protect the elderly and those with underlying respiratory conditions and the rest of us should see it out.

Denn Forever

Hospital self isolates.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0306/1120531-coronavirus/https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0306/1120531-coronavirus/
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...