Body Transformations

Started by JoG2, December 18, 2014, 10:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Seems to be the whole rage at the minute.....the quick hit. I'm for really getting the finger out in the new year re fitness. Not for doing one of these intense transformation but break a sweat everyday and completely overhaul my eating habits.

Just looking some advice on a regime and any diet sheets if anyone has them.

Exercise
I've gym sessions on Tues, Thurs and Sat afternoons starting 3rd Jan and have zero problem doing early morning runs to tick the aerobic box.

Diet
Any plans for each day of the week. Portions etc Definite do's and don't's

I suppose I need some fit hooer to tell me what to do each day to get into good shape in a few months (theres bound to be a good few in the same boat)

Rocky soundtrack downloaded (no joke)
thanks in advance

gallsman

Strength training in gym based around squat, deadlift and bench, along with accessory exercises for each muscle group. Really important to have a goal and a program designed to achieve that goal rather than just wandering into gym and randomly doing a few things.

I limit cardio to (other than warm ups before weights) two nights a week. Generally circuits but have been meaning to start spin for a while. Also do a TRX class sometimes as well which is absolutely fantastic. Agony too. Light swim at the weekend maybe.

Diet - the usual. Chicken, eggs, red meat, lots of veg. Fruit to get some carbs in. Big heap of sweet potato in the evening after heavy gym sessions in the morning. Have given up on supplements.

DennistheMenace

See Micky Conlan pictures for inspiration of Body Transformation. Unreal stuff.

Not sure how long it would take to make a real noticeable difference, maybe 6 months of work out programme and diet. Take a before picture which will motivate you even more.

OakleafCounty

Why wait till the 3rd of January. If you have it in your head that you want to train then you should start right away rather than setting a date three weeks down the line. I find that when people set a date in the future to make a drastic lifestyle change they are only setting themselves up for failure.

I also wouldn't just completely change my diet in one swoop as I've always found it more difficult and less sustainable than making subtle changes. I would start by just adding in the old 5+ fruit and veg a day. If you crave something after dinner eat a biscuit but stop at one.

If you haven't trained regularly in a while I would start off with a four week bodyweight programme and incorporate interval running into it. A bodyweight programme may not be appealing but it sets a great base to move forward with before attacking the barbell. If you go for heavy squats and deadlifts after not training for a while you could get injured which makes dieting more difficult.

majestic

I have started half of what you plan to do! About 7 months ago I started weight training! Strength training to be specific! Much the same as Gallsman, it centred around the squat and bench (to start: i could only commit two days per week due to work and exams commitments) This started with a 4-6 week adaptation program.

Which was two sets of 10 at a weight that I was just starting to struggle with the the final reps on the second set! Exercises are: Squat, bench and straight leg deadlift. I also started to work on my pull ups! I couldn't do one, but used resistance bands to assist.

Once the adaption phase was over - i got my 1RM, and worked at 85% if this doing three sets of 5, adding on 5kg to the squat and 2.5 to the bench each week. SLDL stayed at 2 sets of 10 reps. All the while doing assisted pullups.

When no longer able to complete 5 reps, drop it to 3 to continue pushing the weight up.

About two months ago I was able to commit to the 3rd day of training, so i have included the Deadlift and overhead press into my Routine. A- day = squat+bench B-day =Deadlift + overhead press. Pullups are now at the stage where i can complete 45-50 thought the session in sets of 5 with no assistance.

My aim is to get to 2.5*bw on the deadlift, 2*bw on the squat and 1.5*bw on the bench. I'm nearly there with the squat and bench but have a long way to go with the deadlift.

However my diet is still poor and I definitely don't do enough cardio, Pre season will be torture, but hopefully my strength work can eliminate injury problems I've had in the past.

The beauty in the program I follow is the simplicity - easy to follow and can be done in under an hour if you cut out the standing around chatting.

Although the biggest piece of advice I can give anyone is get a committed training partner.  You will both drag each other along and it makes it 10 times easier.

Goal for the future is to continue to make gains, steadily improve the diet and get back running for football.

ballinaman

Quote from: majestic on December 18, 2014, 12:36:51 PM
I have started half of what you plan to do! About 7 months ago I started weight training! Strength training to be specific! Much the same as Gallsman, it centred around the squat and bench (to start: i could only commit two days per week due to work and exams commitments) This started with a 4-6 week adaptation program.

Which was two sets of 10 at a weight that I was just starting to struggle with the the final reps on the second set! Exercises are: Squat, bench and straight leg deadlift. I also started to work on my pull ups! I couldn't do one, but used resistance bands to assist.

Once the adaption phase was over - i got my 1RM, and worked at 85% if this doing three sets of 5, adding on 5kg to the squat and 2.5 to the bench each week. SLDL stayed at 2 sets of 10 reps. All the while doing assisted pullups.

When no longer able to complete 5 reps, drop it to 3 to continue pushing the weight up.

About two months ago I was able to commit to the 3rd day of training, so i have included the Deadlift and overhead press into my Routine. A- day = squat+bench B-day =Deadlift + overhead press. Pullups are now at the stage where i can complete 45-50 thought the session in sets of 5 with no assistance.

My aim is to get to 2.5*bw on the deadlift, 2*bw on the squat and 1.5*bw on the bench. I'm nearly there with the squat and bench but have a long way to go with the deadlift.

However my diet is still poor and I definitely don't do enough cardio, Pre season will be torture, but hopefully my strength work can eliminate injury problems I've had in the past.

The beauty in the program I follow is the simplicity - easy to follow and can be done in under an hour if you cut out the standing around chatting.

Although the biggest piece of advice I can give anyone is get a committed training partner.  You will both drag each other along and it makes it 10 times easier.

Goal for the future is to continue to make gains, steadily improve the diet and get back running for football.
Biggest misconception out there, mostly peddled by under qualified talking through their arses gym instructors/S&C coaches....

Functional exercises/flexibility training combined with compound strength training will make a difference. Just as important. Clued in S&C guys talk about quality of your movement, pattern of your movement as much as actual strength.
Think of it as driving with the handbreak down, huge potential there if you lift it up....

JoG2

thanks very much men.  And you're right Oakleaf. Gonna hit the strength & conditioning class tonight