Seó Spóirt

Started by 5 Sams, February 07, 2017, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 07, 2017, 06:49:16 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a ratings issue.

The live broadcasts of the GAA matches are pretty much consistently the number one watched programs on TG4 every month in the TAM ratings. However Seo Spoirt doesn't seem to ever feature in the top ten most watched programs on TG4 - and the thing is there are often some absolutely shocking efforts in the top 10 programs (it's not unusual to see some forgettable US film from 20 plus years ago be in the top ten most weekly watched programs) When the live games are consistently number one in terms of attracting an audience and the discussion show doesn't seem to be be attracting anything like the same viewership I'd imagine even at TG4 questions would be asked. I wouldn't be surprised if TG4 aren't taking into account just how many people with minimal interest in the language are tuning in to watch the games live and either muting the commentary or mentally tuning it out.

Not really. It's pretty self explanatory as to why the discussion show does not get good ratings, compared to the live broadcast of games imo. The live broadcast is the only source for people to watch the games live, as they happen. But people can get their analysis from a much broader range of sources...newspapers, blogs, podcasts, radio shows, RTE's Sunday evening highlight show etc etc. Seo Spoirt is not their only source for that.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 08, 2017, 05:47:29 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/dara-%C3%B3-cinn%C3%A9ide-disappointed-at-the-end-of-se%C3%B3-sp%C3%B3irt-on-tg4-1.2967880

Seems like TG4 have a new CEO who wants to do away with all studio based shows apart from the news.

Oh great. A new fella with highfalutin ideas. The last one of these changed the theme tune on the Sunday Game and got rid of Breaking Ball. Why do these f**kers always try to fix stuff that isn't broken?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 09, 2017, 09:32:50 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/dara-%C3%B3-cinn%C3%A9ide-disappointed-at-the-end-of-se%C3%B3-sp%C3%B3irt-on-tg4-1.2967880

Seems like TG4 have a new CEO who wants to do away with all studio based shows apart from the news.

Oh great. A new fella with highfalutin ideas. The last one of these changed the theme tune on the Sunday Game and got rid of Breaking Ball. Why do these f**kers always try to fix stuff that isn't broken?

Irish 'solution' to an Irish problem.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

I only watched it the odd time, so it would be hypocritical of me to make a big song and dance that it's gone, but I don't think the new man's argument re the format not working anymore stands up to scrutiny.
It was an easy watch any time I tuned in, with none of RTE's histrionics or forced 'banter'.
Then again, I suppose when you produce a show about sports you automatically assume genuine sports fans will watch it regardless of format.
It's the 'casual' viewer you need to pull in.
Don't know what the viewing figures were like but maybe this demonstrates that while there is a huge appetite for live sport on TG4, regardless of the language of commentary, there is significantly less appetite for analysis of the same sport as gaeilge.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

I suppose people sitting in a studio having an adult discussion is probably more suited to radio than TV.
Still the used to haverify their bit of daftness too with Thar an trasnáin
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 09, 2017, 09:35:18 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 09, 2017, 09:32:50 AM

Irish 'solution' to an Irish problem.
and t justify their wages . next itll be all about getting the Yoof involved ie. brainless chatter try to mention snapchat or whatever  about 20
times a minute. and spend the rest of the show surfing though tweets
'We have no idea how to run this program so heres a picture of a cat Kieran Mcgeeney  posted a while ago'
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

Public service remit?

The Gaeltachts are all football playing areas

The main counties with Irish speaking populations - Donegal, Cork, Kerry, Galway, Dublin, Antrim are big GAA counties

5 Sams

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 09, 2017, 07:38:44 PM
Public service remit?

The main counties with Irish speaking populations - Donegal, Cork, Kerry, Galway, Dublin, Antrim are big GAA counties

Don't forget Meath, Waterford and Mayo.
The Aristocrat Years

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 09, 2017, 09:20:47 PM
Public service remit?

there's feck all people speaking Irish in those three counties

Farrandeelin

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 10, 2017, 08:21:38 AM
Public service remit?

He meant big GAA counties no doubt 😊
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

manfromdelmonte

you'd barely hear anyone speaking Irish around Belmullet nowadays.
Same with Athboy

Jinxy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 10, 2017, 08:21:38 AM
Public service remit?

Dún do chlab.
If you were any use you'd be playing.