League superseding Championship?

Started by thefont, February 06, 2017, 03:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sambostar

Yes Munchkin, I actually had the soccer in mind too, no reason league based championship & Provincial Cup competitions can't be run in tandem much like the way the FA Cup games are interspersed with Premier League games.

You just have to look at the Cavan V Dublin game last weekend as an example of the kind of championship game you could have - imagine the event that would be if it was a Saturday evening game in Breffni on a baking hot day in the middle of July

twohands!!!

Quote from: sambostar on February 09, 2017, 11:38:52 AM
Yes Munchkin, I actually had the soccer in mind too, no reason league based championship & Provincial Cup competitions can't be run in tandem much like the way the FA Cup games are interspersed with Premier League games.

You just have to look at the Cavan V Dublin game last weekend as an example of the kind of championship game you could have - imagine the event that would be if it was a Saturday evening game in Breffni on a baking hot day in the middle of July

Exactly imagine you had Division 1 games on in the summer on fine pitches and in fine conditions when the players had 4/5/6 months of training behind them.

thefont

Division one games every weekend in the summer would be amazing.

Keeping the provincials as an FA cup style comp sounds good, I guess you could then revert to straight knockout with provincial winner straight into the semis?

I suppose the only problem would be the clubs fixtures since you have more serious intercounty games in the good months for football.