China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Why is Northern Italy so affected, what happened there initially?

Dougal Maguire

I think someone brought it in from China
Careful now

omagh_gael

This is why Covid19 is so dangerous. This is a modern country with excellent healthcare facilities, they are sending out a stark warning.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-italy-doctors-intensive-care-deaths-a9384356.html

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 08, 2020, 12:08:20 PM
Why is Northern Italy so affected, what happened there initially?

It just seems to be down to the fact it was spread to Italy before anyone really starting taking it seriously and spread from there. The genie was out of the bottle. Just unlucky. Could have been anywhere. Italy also has an elderly population which has only compounded an already bad situation. This is why it is important to treat this with the respect it deserves and not to be trying to compare it to the flu.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 08, 2020, 11:03:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2020, 10:18:56 AM
Quote from: AFM on March 08, 2020, 09:12:16 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51787238

Italy taking extreme measures against this oul flu.

It's a good thing it's not as bad flu like the normal one.

So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 100,000 illnesses and more than 3,000 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 32 million illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

This is a very ill informed comment. If you have read anything about Covid-19 you will know this is nothing like the ordinary flu. It is a fast spreading highly contagious virus with no vaccine. You can't protect people against everything and at least with common flu we have vaccines which mitigate this risk to such a large extent we generally don't give it much thought. The number of victims the common flu claims is still scary as strains of flu mutate and build resistance to that years vaccine which is why there is a new jab each year. If Covid-19 gets on the loose as the common flu has then there is much bigger trouble ahead. Italy is proving testament to that. I hope you have no family or relations that are elderly or have underlying medical problems and are exposed to this. You might have a different outlook then.

Not my statement, I'd say it was written by someone more intelligent than the 'experts' on here
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

I'd say there were irresponsible idiots posting on calcioboard.com a week ago, È solo influenza.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2020, 12:38:56 PM

So far, the new coronavirus has led to more than 100,000 illnesses and more than 3,000 deaths worldwide. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 32 million illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

This is a very ill informed comment. If you have read anything about Covid-19 you will know this is nothing like the ordinary flu. It is a fast spreading highly contagious virus with no vaccine. You can't protect people against everything and at least with common flu we have vaccines which mitigate this risk to such a large extent we generally don't give it much thought. The number of victims the common flu claims is still scary as strains of flu mutate and build resistance to that years vaccine which is why there is a new jab each year. If Covid-19 gets on the loose as the common flu has then there is much bigger trouble ahead. Italy is proving testament to that. I hope you have no family or relations that are elderly or have underlying medical problems and are exposed to this. You might have a different outlook then.

Not my statement, I'd say it was written by someone more intelligent than the 'experts' on here

As a statement it maybe we'll be true about the numbers but you are posting as if to be dismissive of Covid-19. I don't see anyone else here posting things that dismiss the seriousness of what is going on. You just can't then come with the cope out that it wasn't your statement. If it wasn't who said that Covid-19 was nothing in comparison to the flu or where did you read that.

lurganblue

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 08, 2020, 12:16:40 PM
This is why Covid19 is so dangerous. This is a modern country with excellent healthcare facilities, they are sending out a stark warning.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-italy-doctors-intensive-care-deaths-a9384356.html

That doesn't make good reading

AFM

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 08, 2020, 12:48:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2020, 12:38:56 PM

As a statement it maybe we'll be true about the numbers but you are posting as if to be dismissive of Covid-19. [i]I don't see anyone else here posting things that dismiss the seriousness of what is going on[/i]. You just can't then come with the cope out that it wasn't your statement. If it wasn't who said that Covid-19 was nothing in comparison to the flu or where did you read that.

You must have getoverthebar on block then!

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

imtommygunn

Quote from: lurganblue on March 08, 2020, 12:52:18 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 08, 2020, 12:16:40 PM

That doesn't make good reading

It really doesn't  :(

omagh_gael

Quote from: Square Ball on March 08, 2020, 01:31:12 PM
This site give a lot of stats.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Interesting that S Korea have 1500 more cases than Italy but less than quarter of the deaths. What's going on there? Is it a cultural thing were Asians tend to more deferential to authority therefore self isolating much more thoroughly? Can't imagine their healthcare is significantly better to create such a gap.

mayoman dan

The Irish government and the HSE response to this whole thing has been nothing short of a disgrace. Having taken Friday off work due to flu like symptoms i went on to the hse website to get info about the coronavirus.The website states that if you have any symptoms call your gp do not go to your gp as you may need to self isolate.So i called my gp only to be told i have to ring a hse coronavirus helpline and they will assess me and talk me through appropriate next steps.So after waiting on hold for almost an hour i eventually get through to an operator whos first advice was to check the hse website.After explaining that i had checked the website and phoned my gp only to be sent here the operator told me it was PROBABLY just a head cold or the seasonal flu.Just to put this into context im 32 reasonably fit and healthy with no underlying health problems that i know of.Im fairly sure if i contracted the coronavirus my immune system could fight it off but trying to be a responsible adult i dont want to pass this on to anyone else.So as my frustration grew with this operator telling me it was again PROBABLY just a cold or flu i asked what qualified her to give me such advice???After refusing to answer my question she told me hse guidelines state im PROBABLY not infected and i can continue going about my day to day business.Im sure my case isnt unique and for all i know some civil servant with no medical training is giving me advice about my health....Its a joke of a set up

David McKeown

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 08, 2020, 01:46:01 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on March 08, 2020, 01:31:12 PM
This site give a lot of stats.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Interesting that S Korea have 1500 more cases than Italy but less than quarter of the deaths. What's going on there? Is it a cultural thing were Asians tend to more deferential to authority therefore self isolating much more thoroughly? Can't imagine their healthcare is significantly better to create such a gap.

Might be a factor although it could Possibly be age demographics. Does that area of Italy have a higher ageing population? 
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

armaghniac

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 08, 2020, 02:13:02 PM
The Irish government and the HSE response to this whole thing has been nothing short of a disgrace. Having taken Friday off work due to flu like symptoms i went on to the hse website to get info about the coronavirus.The website states that if you have any symptoms call your gp do not go to your gp as you may need to self isolate.So i called my gp only to be told i have to ring a hse coronavirus helpline and they will assess me and talk me through appropriate next steps.So after waiting on hold for almost an hour i eventually get through to an operator whos first advice was to check the hse website.After explaining that i had checked the website and phoned my gp only to be sent here the operator told me it was PROBABLY just a head cold or the seasonal flu.Just to put this into context im 32 reasonably fit and healthy with no underlying health problems that i know of.Im fairly sure if i contracted the coronavirus my immune system could fight it off but trying to be a responsible adult i dont want to pass this on to anyone else.So as my frustration grew with this operator telling me it was again PROBABLY just a cold or flu i asked what qualified her to give me such advice???After refusing to answer my question she told me hse guidelines state im PROBABLY not infected and i can continue going about my day to day business.Im sure my case isnt unique and for all i know some civil servant with no medical training is giving me advice about my health....Its a joke of a set up

Even if it is only regular flu you should not be going about passing it on to other people, especially at present.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B