Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on March 06, 2020, 11:17:50 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 06, 2020, 10:52:13 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 06, 2020, 08:48:32 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 05, 2020, 11:03:59 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2020, 10:57:28 PM
When you're asking "why didn't they just shut down this single essential service?", it's not that simple. Is is the role of government to arbitrarily decide which services (and therefore jobs) remain fully open, partially open, or closed? How do they decide this? How do they decide which livelihoods to f**k with entirely, partially, or not at all?

They should f**k with the livelihoods of activities which significantly promote transmission of disease, and do not provide a service you cannot do without.  There is a balance of course, and things are still under control, but definite measures may be needed for a few weeks in due course.

Where do you draw the line? Close the ports also, no? Cancel all buses, trains, schools, cinema's, sporting events, religious gatherings, supermarkets...

This list includes ports, supermarkets etc which are necessary for people to eat and cinemas which are not essential. It isn't reasonable to close supermarkets for this virus, but it may be reasonable to close cinemas. Places like Singapore have had transmission in churches and no longer have big services, but their economy is still operating.

If you worked in a supermarket you might think differently.

You're not going to stop the likes of the corona virus, it's really only mitigation at this stage, so protect the elderly and those with underlying respiratory conditions and the rest of us should see it out.

Exactly !!!!!!!!!

All this talk of closing ports and airports and the cinemas and other sporting events is just nuts, England are playing Wales this weekend, France are playing Scotland, the PL is going ahead also, if the Gov thought it was a major threat surely these events wouldn't be going ahead, the biggest racing event of the year also going ahead.

If someone feels they have contracted something then the buck stops with them, self isolate and stay away from those with underlying issues.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maiden1

Since 2004 we've had

SARS
AVIAN
SWINE
MERS
ZIKA
EBOLA
CORONA

and a thread on quite a few of them.

As of now there have been approximately 3,500 deaths reported, about the same number of people die daily in car accidents. 

"Sure, it'll save a few lives, but millions will be late!" - Homer Simpson on lowering the speed limit.

Places like Singapore have had transmission in churches and no longer have big services, but their economy is still operating.

If everyone avoids going to the cinema, pub .. how would economies keep operating?  If i'm thinking of getting a new tv surely I should avoid going into the local store which would affect the profitability of the business which would impact on staffing numbers, suppliers etc.?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/business/stock-market-covid-19.html

I could well be wrong but to me it seems that the threat has been blown out of proportion.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

BennyCake

Will mass be cancelled? A lot of regular mass goers are the older generation and therefore more susceptible to being infected. 

Better cancel the bingo too.

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyCake on March 06, 2020, 11:47:19 AM
Will mass be cancelled? A lot of regular mass goers are the older generation and therefore more susceptible to being infected. 

That would make more sense than closing an airport.

AFM

NO, categorically NO - the church needs the old people for the envelope collection,  they don't give a dam about anything but the money.

GJL

Quote from: AFM on March 06, 2020, 12:57:34 PM

NO, categorically NO - the church needs the old people for the envelope collection,  they don't give a dam about anything but the money.

You have talked some volume of shite on this thread

AFM

Quote from: GJL on March 06, 2020, 01:21:07 PM
Quote from: AFM on March 06, 2020, 12:57:34 PM

You have talked some volume of shite on this thread

Wind your neck in kid, the catholic church is a money hungry organisation, I believe there is a block feature - knock yourself out, by the way quote away - everything I said is factually correct unlike GetOverTheBar telling lies that this is just the flu.

Milltown Row2

Can do Mass online anyways! As for the collection the Klubfunder should be put in place so the money is just debited out of your account!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2020, 01:39:28 PM

Can do Mass online anyways! As for the collection the Klubfunder should be put in place so the money is just debited out of your account!

This is already available.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Quote from: Maiden1 on March 06, 2020, 11:47:12 AM
Since 2004 we've had

SARS
AVIAN
SWINE
MERS
ZIKA
EBOLA
CORONA

and a thread on quite a few of them.

As of now there have been approximately 3,500 deaths reported, about the same number of people die daily in car accidents. 

"Sure, it'll save a few lives, but millions will be late!" - Homer Simpson on lowering the speed limit.

Places like Singapore have had transmission in churches and no longer have big services, but their economy is still operating.

If everyone avoids going to the cinema, pub .. how would economies keep operating?  If i'm thinking of getting a new tv surely I should avoid going into the local store which would affect the profitability of the business which would impact on staffing numbers, suppliers etc.?

I could well be wrong but to me it seems that the threat has been blown out of proportion.

I think you're dead right. It's not the rage virus from 28 days later. Most people will recover from it.

armaghniac

Quote from: Maiden1 on March 06, 2020, 11:47:12 AM

You sound a bit like Danny Healy-Rae. Exactly how many people should die so you can go to the pub?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

I have tickets for Wimbledon so the cnuts better not cancel it.

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 06, 2020, 03:09:32 PM
I have tickets for Wimbledon so the cnuts better not cancel it.

A glass of Pimms and strawberrys will cure ye!

screenexile

Pharmacies in the South have gone demented people are stocking up on everything do they think it's some kind of nuclear holocaust??

People need to calm down there aren't that many people who are high risk!!

Taylor

Quote from: screenexile on March 06, 2020, 03:23:12 PM
Pharmacies in the South have gone demented people are stocking up on everything do they think it's some kind of nuclear holocaust??

People need to calm down there aren't that many people who are high risk!!

Am sure there is almost 150,000 people over 80 on the island not counting the sick , at a reasonable guesstimate 30,000+.

That would leave almost 200,000 then.

Thats a brave few people who would be worried IF what some say is true about the virus