Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: AFM on March 02, 2020, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 10:40:41 AM
Quote from: AFM on March 02, 2020, 10:29:54 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 10:27:51 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 02, 2020, 09:05:02 AM
Quote from: Itchy on March 01, 2020, 11:17:03 PM
There was never a  chance this could be stopped, you can carry for 14 days with with a sniffle yet you could pass it to someone else who reacts very badly to it.

Easily.

- Everyone close the borders with China in December when it first came out.
- Anyone looking repatriated out of China is done so via strict quarantine zone under the repatriating governments control (i.e. military base).

What will likely happen is that we'll get to a point where extreme measures will be brought in when it becomes palatable to the politicians - but by then it will be far too late, the horse will have long since bolted, had a herd of foals and died of old age.

This can't be a serious suggestion.

It's the flu, not Leprosy. More hysteria.

No it's not, more flippancy!  The two illnesses are caused by DIFFERENT viruses.

Tomato / Tomato....Closing borders. Jesus wept.

Go to Dublin Airport on Friday and Saturday sure with signs saying down with this sort of thing as there is going to be thousands coming for the cancelled game.

The Chinese will do as they please. Coming out with radical border closings etc....Have you people any idea how big China is? It's not Leitrim.

They are the same thing, can you not grasp they are two different viruses?

The Northern Ireland Border is 310 miles or so. For years it's been relatively uncontrollable. As we've seen to crushing effect. We could never stop people slipping over and back.

China borders about 15 countries. It has about 1.5 billion people in its borders.

The damage is done, scaremongering is doing no good. Neither is these mad notions of closing borders. It's going to have to run it's course and the wold needs to react for an actual serious event going forward. All this is, is a warning shot.

trueblue1234

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 11:08:43 AM
There was never a  chance this could be stopped, you can carry for 14 days with with a sniffle yet you could pass it to someone else who reacts very badly to it.

Easily.

- Anyone looking repatriated out of China is done so via strict quarantine zone under the repatriating governments control (i.e. military base).

What will likely happen is that we'll get to a point where extreme measures will be brought in when it becomes palatable to the politicians - but by then it will be far too late, the horse will have long since bolted, had a herd of foals and died of old age.

No it's not, more flippancy!  The two illnesses are caused by DIFFERENT viruses.

Go to Dublin Airport on Friday and Saturday sure with signs saying down with this sort of thing as there is going to be thousands coming for the cancelled game.

The Chinese will do as they please. Coming out with radical border closings etc....Have you people any idea how big China is? It's not Leitrim.

The Northern Ireland Border is 310 miles or so. For years it's been relatively uncontrollable. As we've seen to crushing effect. We could never stop people slipping over and back.

China borders about 15 countries. It has about 1.5 billion people in its borders.

The damage is done, scaremongering is doing no good. Neither is these mad notions of closing borders. It's going to have to run it's course and the wold needs to react for an actual serious event going forward. All this is, is a warning shot.

Was that not Radio GAAGAA's point?

With regards the scaremongering. I'd rather over act to the threat and be thankfully it wasn't as bad as anticipated than do nothing and be too late to plan if things do go wrong. You don't get a second chance to try and reduce the impact.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

AFM

Easily.

The point I was pulling you up on was it's the flu, it is not, the rest of the horseshite you posted I didn't read.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: AFM on March 02, 2020, 11:29:52 AM

Easily.

The point I was pulling you up on was it's the flu, it is not, the rest of the horseshite you posted I didn't read.

Yes you did, never mind. It probably went over your head anyway.

AFM

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 12:20:56 PM
Quote from: AFM on March 02, 2020, 11:29:52 AM

Easily.

Yes you did, never mind. It probably went over your head anyway.

You think it's the flu, think everything is over your head.

AFM

Just to be clear can you not acknowledge this statement is incorrect, it is not the flu, and it's spreading is due to the recklessness of folk like yourself and others treating it with flippancy!

RadioGAAGAA

Yet those same Chinese were able to restrict movement within their country where there were no pre-existing checkpoint locations. :rolleyes:

The closed (land) border doesn't need to be perfect, especially given the Chinese imposed internal restrictions on movement.

Closing the airport "borders" is relatively easy. The seaports marginally harder.

The damage is done, scaremongering is doing no good. Neither is these mad notions of closing borders. It's going to have to run it's course

That's my point. My f**king sentence even mentioned the month the borders would have had to close, The politicians have dithered for far too long when it could have been contained to China and China alone.

Plan A would have been to contain it in China long enough for a vaccine to be developed. That is now scrapped due to a leadership vacuum across most of the world. Indeed, if the Chinese local government in Wuhan had acted swiftly enough, the whole thing could have been contained to a few dozen people. Unfortunately it took Central government to get involved before things started moving.

Plan B is now a race to get vaccines developed before it spreads to too many of those vulnerable to it (sick & elderly). Which means every one of those not at high risk being diligent to stop themselves acting as carriers.
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: AFM on March 02, 2020, 01:09:11 PM

Just to be clear can you not acknowledge this statement is incorrect, it is not the flu, and it's spreading is due to the recklessness of folk like yourself and others treating it with flippancy!

From the WHO website.

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don't develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. About 2% of people with the disease have died. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.

So whilst it may not be "flu"...it's fair enough to suggest they aren't exactly dissociated. Especially to someone such as myself who isn't exactly buying the hype and hysteria that it is bringing. On that 2% (90% of those are from the originating province in China - BBC).

As for me being partially or somehow responsible for it spreading due to my "recklessness", have a word with yourself and calm down. Absolute nonsense. Up there with some of the biggest crap I've seen online and that's saying something.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 01:34:11 PM
So whilst it may not be "flu"...it's fair enough to suggest they aren't exactly dissociated. Especially to someone such as myself who isn't exactly buying the hype and hysteria that it is bringing. On that 2% (90% of those are from the originating province in China - BBC).

It is not the flu.

Perhaps someone such as yourself cannot process that while symptoms may appear the same - there are fundamental differences underneath.

As for me being partially or somehow responsible for it spreading due to my "recklessness", have a word with yourself and calm down. Absolute nonsense. Up there with some of the biggest crap I've seen online and that's saying something.

The diligence of 99 people can easily be ruined by one eejit going off and ignoring all advice.

What if someone who "knew better" went for pints with a mate just back from skiing in Italy, then a few days later went into a hospital ward to visit someone before taking the bus up to the airport and boarded a flight abroad?
i usse an speelchekor

AFM

From the WHO website.

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don't develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. About 2% of people with the disease have died. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.

So you acknowledge it's not the flu then???  Anyone treating this with the flippancy you are and not following public health warnings are of course aiding the spread, it's great though that you are so better informed than health and government experts.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 02, 2020, 01:41:45 PM

It is not the flu.

Perhaps someone such as yourself cannot process that while symptoms may appear the same - there are fundamental differences underneath.

The diligence of 99 people can easily be ruined by one eejit going off and ignoring all advice.

What if someone who "knew better" went for pints with a mate just back from skiing in Italy, then a few days later went into a hospital ward to visit someone before taking the bus up to the airport and boarded a flight abroad?

I get your point, I truly do. But your not talking in the realm of reality. You must accept that. As an Irishman you know if you wake up tomorrow morning and you aren't feeling great, for want of a better phrase you are just going to horse on through the day. What you are advocating is the right course of action sure, but absolutely doomed to fail with individuals being individuals, it's uncontrollable, so what we must do now is prepare for the future. Perhaps in the future an immediate lockdown of borders is a realistic option. I don't know, I don't see it happening though.

As I said earlier, it's now out. We need a vaccination. The vast, vast majority of the issues are in China so it's a kinda roundabout positive that in a mass populated country it's not infected much, much more (that we know of, can only go on these figures).

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 01:52:56 PMAs an Irishman you know if you wake up tomorrow morning and you aren't feeling great, for want of a better phrase you are just going to horse on through the day.

As I said earlier, it's now out. We need a vaccination. The vast, vast majority of the issues are in China so it's a kinda roundabout positive that in a mass populated country it's not infected much, much more (that we know of, can only go on these figures).

But the Chinese restricted people to their homes. They stopped work. They stopped most internal travel.

If we continue to "horse on through the day", why are you expecting our outcome to be better than China?
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: AFM on March 02, 2020, 01:49:43 PM

From the WHO website.

So you acknowledge it's not the flu then???  Anyone treating this with the flippancy you are and not following public health warnings are of course aiding the spread, it's great though that you are so better informed than health and government experts.

Just to be flippant and prove a point, just checked the Irish Govt website there, they are advocating a distance of 1metre between other people - I have since pulled my desk up in my office and told this woman beside me the reasons. I would hate to be responsible for the spread of something (of course something that I don't have and likely within every parameter known so far, won't have).

Oh, interestingly, the Irish government have not banned travel to China or Italy (they are getting the most press). Or indeed have advised no entry restrictions into Ireland from either of these countries either. Strange.

Furthermore, this is a good one....from the Irish Govt website directly.

"To date, entry screening at ports and airports is not recommended by World Health Organization (WHO) or the European Centre for Disease Control (ECDC)."

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 02, 2020, 01:55:23 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 01:52:56 PMAs an Irishman you know if you wake up tomorrow morning and you aren't feeling great, for want of a better phrase you are just going to horse on through the day.

But the Chinese restricted people to their homes. They stopped work. They stopped most internal travel.

If we continue to "horse on through the day", why are you expecting our outcome to be better than China?

Yes again, this is after the event. Once it's out, it's out. It's something that has been thrust upon the World and was unpredictable I think we can agree?. Of course they took action after, but sure did this whole thing not start in December of last year? How long has Wuhan been in lockdown for? Just googled - January 23rd. It's probably worked as I said earlier, the vast majority of fatalities is there but cases (i believe) are now on the wane compared to outside Wuhan and the Herbei province?

I never said anything about our outcome being better. - I imagine this will continue to spread for another bit yet. I asked what we should do going forward on a more serious matter that could happen highlighted by the spread of this particular virus considering the reactionary defences that governments have to take? Can we instantly block travel in and out as a nation? The Chinese of course could, they answer only to themselves but they did not at the time.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 01:52:56 PM
I get your point, I truly do. But your not talking in the realm of reality. You must accept that. As an Irishman you know if you wake up tomorrow morning and you aren't feeling great, for want of a better phrase you are just going to horse on through the day. What you are advocating is the right course of action sure, but absolutely doomed to fail with individuals being individuals, it's uncontrollable, so what we must do now is prepare for the future. Perhaps in the future an immediate lockdown of borders is a realistic option. I don't know, I don't see it happening though.

Not all Irishmen are equally callous about their effect on other people as you.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B