China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Sure let's cancel the rugby, but let all the Italians who'll be using their flights anyway head over to Ireland for the weekend ... WTF.

DrinkingHarp

Watched the World News Tonight on ABC in the States and was reported that it will be when not if when it hits the US. Shortage on N95 respirator medical masks, only 30 million for Dept of Homeland Security and medical professionals alone would need 300 million. Did a google search for the mask near Chicago, all sold out. Amazon and Ebay are seeing 300-1500% markup on masks and will only get worse.

People worldwide will be hoarding every staple you use in everyday life till contaiment, there were armed people stealing toliet paper in China. This virus will bring out the worst in human society.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

omaghjoe

Quote from: balladmaker on February 26, 2020, 12:48:36 AM
Sure let's cancel the rugby, but let all the Italians who'll be using their flights anyway head over to Ireland for the weekend ... WTF.
:-)
Musta killed A Fine Gaeler to cancel the rugby

omaghjoe

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on February 26, 2020, 01:15:27 AM
Watched the World News Tonight on ABC in the States and was reported that it will be when not if when it hits the US. Shortage on N95 respirator medical masks, only 30 million for Dept of Homeland Security and medical professionals alone would need 300 million. Did a google search for the mask near Chicago, all sold out. Amazon and Ebay are seeing 300-1500% markup on masks and will only get worse.

People worldwide will be hoarding every staple you use in everyday life till contaiment, there were armed people stealing toliet paper in China. This virus will bring out the worst in human society.

What for I wonder, sure they dont use it for what we do with it

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on February 25, 2020, 11:45:25 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 25, 2020, 11:20:54 PM
Case in Barcelona today. I fly home Thursday for the weekend. I'd about Dublin airport then and Monday morning if I were you.

even by Gaaboard standards this is unusually incomprehensible advice.

Auto-correct cheerfully naturally corrected, my good man

Hereiam

Christ almighty its only a bad sniffle that is going about. Governments are not worried about peoples health they are only worried about a dip in their GDP as when it hits alot people will be off sick at the one time for a considerable period of time.

JoG2

Quote from: Rois on February 25, 2020, 10:00:34 PM
Not wishing to be a scaremonger...but I'm in a WhatsApp group with a number of senior UK people in my firm, and one partner said today that he had lunch with a "very senior medical bod" who said the UK authorities are planning for potentially dealing with 60% infection rate, 100k deaths in the UK, and a peak outside of China in May. It is obviously worst case, but still worrying.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 26, 2020, 12:15:52 PM
Why aren't people as panicked about seasonal influenza? It kills far far more people every year than Coronavirus ever will.

The flu kills around 1 in 50000 people it infects.

This kills around 1 in 50 people it infects.
i usse an speelchekor

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 26, 2020, 12:25:09 PM
Why aren't people as panicked about seasonal influenza? It kills far far more people every year than Coronavirus ever will.

The flu kills around 1 in 50000 people it infects.

This kills around 1 in 50 people it infects.

As of the latest information there are 80,239 infections (908 considered new).

Total worldwide deaths are 2,666 in China and 34 Otherwise Worldwide

80,239 / 2700 = 29.71

1 in 29, now I don't have the time but I bet if we profile the 2,700 deaths nearly all will be over 60 and already sick which lowers this number even further as we consider ourselves a relatively healthy nation with a fairly decent immunisation scheme from birth.

macdanger2

A few reasons

1. This is a new virus, previously unknown in humans. We don't know that much about it or what possible mutations may occur
2. There's currently no vaccination for this virus
3. Open to correction on this but the incubation period for the seasonal flu is ~3 days during which time you're not contagious compared to ~14 days for this virus during which you are contagious

Itchy

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 26, 2020, 03:06:11 AM

Matt Cooper was so upset about the rugby yesterday that, wait for it, he actually openly criticised a FG minister. The potential effects of Corona Virus really are seismic.

RedHand88

Quote from: Itchy on February 26, 2020, 12:53:53 PM

Matt Cooper was so upset about the rugby yesterday that, wait for it, he actually openly criticised a FG minister. The potential effects of Corona Virus really are seismic.

We truly live in a defining era.

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 26, 2020, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 26, 2020, 12:53:53 PM

We truly live in a defining era.

Ah, but the Army Council something or other................... it's their fault

lurganblue

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 26, 2020, 12:40:45 PM

A few reasons

1. This is a new virus, previously unknown in humans. We don't know that much about it or what possible mutations may occur
2. There's currently no vaccination for this virus
3. Open to correction on this but the incubation period for the seasonal flu is ~3 days during which time you're not contagious compared to ~14 days for this virus during which you are contagious

If you already have underlying health conditions that mean you are immunised for the flu every year, then I would be quite concerned by the new virus.