Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebuzz

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 18, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on February 18, 2020, 04:58:07 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 18, 2020, 04:25:17 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 18, 2020, 04:13:29 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 18, 2020, 10:40:28 AM
Is the reason this disease has spread so quickly in China because of the very poor sanitary conditions that they tend to accept?

These things spread, in Ireland most everyone (and most on this board) get a cold in the course of a winter.
The initial step from the animal virus to the human may have been more likely in China than here.

It was similar with the ebola outbreak. Didn't a lot of the mourners insist on touching and kissing the dead bodies? Surely an education program around hand washing etc is a good start with these countries.

It is a good start with all countries.
Still fellas in work who wouldn't wash their hands after using the bog.

Reminds me of being at the Archway Tavern in North London many years ago. Some guy was giving my mate a hard time about not washing his hands when coming from the toilet. He turned around and said 'Me ma taught me not to pee on my hand!' . I thought it was a good one at the time. :) :) The same boy was always neat and tidy and could get a girl every night he went out.

AFM

Armagh boys and girls school due to head to Italy in next few weeks on trips, worrying times.

screenexile

Worrying headline coming from AP!!

QuoteDUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The head of Iran's counter-coronavirus task force has tested positive for the virus himself!

lurganblue

One positive is the old "Now offer everyone the sign of peace" handshake has gone from mass at the minute.  Hateful at the best of times.

RadioGAAGAA

I think the next two weeks will show containment has utterly failed.

Question then is how to best treat those with it.

Hospitals probably won't be an option as there is nothing like sufficient space - and folks with already weakened immune systems should not be exposed where possible.

i usse an speelchekor

Aristo 60

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Aristo 60 on February 25, 2020, 04:09:42 PM
shut the airports.

now.

Not going to happen. It's the flu with a fatality rate of something like 1 or 2%. Not really a reason to shut down airports to be honest.

armaghniac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 25, 2020, 04:04:06 PM

Containment has not "utterly" failed. Cases outside Hubei in China are falling, there are few new cases in places like Singapore.

The problem is how do you get things back to normal. If people who have had it do not remain infectious and do not get it again (unknown), then in Hubei there are now a significant number of people who could help others etc.

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 25, 2020, 04:22:12 PM
Not going to happen. It's the flu with a fatality rate of something like 1 or 2%. Not really a reason to shut down airports to be honest.

2% of the population of Ireland is 130,000 people. Easy to say don't worry about it if it isn't your family dying.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on February 25, 2020, 04:23:43 PM

Containment has not "utterly" failed. Cases outside Hubei in China are falling, there are few new cases in places like Singapore.

The problem is how do you get things back to normal. If people who have had it do not remain infectious and do not get it again (unknown), then in Hubei there are now a significant number of people who could help others etc.

2% of the population of Ireland is 130,000 people. Easy to say don't worry about it if it isn't your family dying.

Not everyone will contract. Even if they do, vast majority still show no major effects other than common influenza.

Mass hysteria.

gallsman

2% of the affected population die, not 2% of the entire population.

screenexile

RadioGAAGAA

Utterly failed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-korean-air/one-of-korean-airs-cabin-crew-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-idUSKCN20J0GK

Was on an A380 into (and out of) LA.

[Will have been handing out food & beverages to passengers.]
i usse an speelchekor

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on February 25, 2020, 04:41:32 PM
2% of the affected population die, not 2% of the entire population.

So, given that nobody has had it before and there is no vaccine, what proportion of people will get it?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile