Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

The greatest threat electorally to the DUP isn't the UUP. It Alliance. And to a certain extent it's the same on the Nationalist side with Alliance taking votes from SF and the SDLP. That tells it's own story...it'll be these voters who will decide on a UI not DUP or SF voters. But in the short to medium term they will start to hold the balance of power in Stormont.

screenexile

Quote from: trailer on January 15, 2021, 03:51:10 PM
The greatest threat electorally to the DUP isn't the UUP. It Alliance. And to a certain extent it's the same on the Nationalist side with Alliance taking votes from SF and the SDLP. That tells it's own story...it'll be these voters who will decide on a UI not DUP or SF voters. But in the short to medium term they will start to hold the balance of power in Stormont.

I think you're right about Alliance holding the key to a UI but it would be more palletable for DUP voters to slip back across to the UUP rather than go to Alliance I think.

imtommygunn

Alliance have been smeared as SF sympathizers and I think it has worked tbh even though it's clearly not true.

red hander

Quote from: screenexile on January 15, 2021, 04:06:49 PM

I think you're right about Alliance holding the key to a UI but it would be more palletable for DUP voters to slip back across to the UUP rather than go to Alliance I think.

Think TUV will pick up some DUP votes from the hardcore bigots, ironically cos they realise theyve been shafted by Arlene's lot over Irish Sea border. Time is running out on her, think she'll be replaced by one of the nutters as they bid to try and hold on to that constituency. But I still believe they won't suffer too badly at polls, bulk of their voters are easily whipped up sheep.

marty34

Quote from: Taylor on January 15, 2021, 01:41:48 PM
As many have said the DUP will continue to be elected as long as SF top the polls among Nationalists.

If SDLP/Alliance had the majority of Nationalist votes then I really do think the soft supporting DUPers would have a different stance.

The will be a hardcore base of SF/DUP voters who will never change.

Its the more logical supporters from each side who are key

I have said before that we're coming to the end game. - a head count.

In 6 months time, Brexit will be forgotten and the DUP will still be the main unionist party.

In a way, I'm surprised that the UUP are not making more of the mess that the DUP have made of Brexit. The Tories completely stitched them up.  Funny, if not serious how the DUP are rowing back on it now.  Even the tweet at the top of this page by Hazzard re: Poot's tweets about food scaremongering etc. is unreal.  It's unbelieveable.

I thought the UUP would be going to town on them about 'the sellout'.  Politically, they should have been attacking them from all quarters.  This is the biggest surprise to me.

Orior

Quote from: red hander on January 15, 2021, 04:18:45 PM

Think TUV will pick up some DUP votes from the hardcore bigots, ironically cos they realise theyve been shafted by Arlene's lot over Irish Sea border. Time is running out on her, think she'll be replaced by one of the nutters as they bid to try and hold on to that constituency. But I still believe they won't suffer too badly at polls, bulk of their voters are easily whipped up sheep.

She'll be awarded with a medal, and maybe even a seat in a big old house, so no harm done.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

red hander

Quote from: marty34 on January 15, 2021, 04:22:25 PM
As many have said the DUP will continue to be elected as long as SF top the polls among Nationalists.

If SDLP/Alliance had the majority of Nationalist votes then I really do think the soft supporting DUPers would have a different stance.

In 6 months time, Brexit will be forgotten and the DUP will still be the main unionist party.

In a way, I'm surprised that the UUP are not making more of the mess that the DUP have made of Brexit. The Tories completely stitched them up.  Funny, if not serious how the DUP are rowing back on it now.  Even the tweet at the top of this page by Hazzard re: Poot's tweets about food scaremongering etc. is unreal.  It's unbelieveable.

I thought the UUP would be going to town on them about 'the sellout'.  Politically, they should have been attacking them from all quarters.  This is the biggest surprise to me.

red hander

Quote from: red hander on January 15, 2021, 04:55:29 PM

Is it, though? Their leader is biggest balloon in local politics. And that's a field with huge competition.

marty34

Quote from: red hander on January 15, 2021, 04:59:26 PM
Quote from: red hander on January 15, 2021, 04:55:29 PM

Is it, though? Their leader is biggest balloon in local politics. And that's a field with huge competition.

But it's a huge open goal for the UUP, a huge open goal.

They should be all over it - with the alledged disaffection in unionist ramks, it's rich pickings for them to pick up votes and make a comeback, but as you stated, it won't happen.

tbrick18

Yeah I think Alliance are too much of a centrist party for the hard right DUP voters, however, they might well attract some of the more middle ground DUP voters. UUP might not be any better than the DUP in power mind.

tbrick18

Quote from: red hander on January 15, 2021, 04:18:45 PM

Arlene will be there until after the next election IMO. Replace her now, and if they do badly in the next election the new leader takes the fall for Arlene's poor leadership and the Brexit shitshow.
If they do well in the next election, it's the perfect time for Arlene to step down on a high.
But there is no doubt that party are a shambles at the minute. Arlene has no control over the likes of Sammy or Poots.
Who in the DUP at the moment would be better to work with as the DUP leader? Def not Sammy or Poots, def not Gregory. Ian Og could get his chance.

ardtole

Gavin Robinson and Paul Girvan the only dup seats in danger id guess, the rest have very solid majorities.

Franko

So the prat Liz Truss throws Airbus to the wolves in a bid to 'create goodwill' in the hope of landing a two-bit mini trade deal with the USA.

The USA promptly tells her she can take her goodwill and get fcuked.

Little Britain is starting to realise that it's a lonely old world out there...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55725718

dublin7

The company I work for imports about 50% of our stock from the UK for resale. It's been a s**t show since the 1st January trying to get goods in from England. Our couriers who told us they were prepared clearly aren't and have screwed up several times already. Some of our suppliers don't know what they're doing either and the whole things a complete mess.

mouview