Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

A "EU withdrawal Act" incorporating the terms of the Deal.
I think the MPs didn't trust Johnson to bring the necessary Legislation in before 31st October and thereby get a No Deal by default.
This way he has to ask for the extension and bring in the Legislation.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: Rossfan on October 19, 2019, 08:19:10 PM
A "EU withdrawal Act" incorporating the terms of the Deal.
I think the MPs didn't trust Johnson to bring the necessary Legislation in before 31st October and thereby get a No Deal by default.
This way he has to ask for the extension and bring in the Legislation.
That's it, thanks.

omaghjoe

Letter sent....

But he didnt sign it and told them he didnt want it.
;D ;D ;D ;D

screenexile

Quote from: omaghjoe on October 19, 2019, 11:09:58 PM
Letter sent....

But he didnt sign it and told them he didnt want it.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Does it give him enough plausible deniability come the election??

Probably... it's clear there's a load of thick c***ts willing to think he actually means what he says!!

Solo_run

Could EU grant an extension on the basis that there is another referendum due to the process being a complete mess. Or would it be seen as meddling?

Farrandeelin

Bryson threatening violence. Against who? MPs?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

The DUP don't like the border in the Irish Sea. Farage broke his cover . He doesn't like the Withdrawal agreement. The deal will be reviewed over more than 2 months. Expect more splits .

https://mobile.twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1185705196665659392

Orior

Why do the DUP always sit on the labour side in the house of commons?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

t_mac

Because they are not in government.

BennyCake

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 20, 2019, 12:37:21 AM
Bryson threatening violence. Against who? MPs?

Himself, hopefully.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Orior on October 20, 2019, 11:56:30 AM
Why do the DUP always sit on the labour side in the house of commons?

Big Ian used to sometimes sit on the government benches back in the day, IIRC.

bennydorano

Quite obvious now that the opposition will stall everything so that Boris fails to deliver Brexit by Halloween. If by some miracle he does deliver in time he will win a huge majority in the next Election. I doubt what's in the UK's best interests is being genuinely considered by many parties in Parliament at the minute.

t_mac

Quote from: bennydorano on October 21, 2019, 08:01:12 PM
Quite obvious now that the opposition will stall everything so that Boris fails to deliver Brexit by Halloween. If by some miracle he does deliver in time he will win a huge majority in the next Election. I doubt what's in the UK's best interests is being genuinely considered by many parties in Parliament at the minute.

The writing is on the wall, this deal will go through - opposition have lost momentum, too many egos, the leaver labour MP's will push it through, feel sorry for the school generation, this thing is going to destroy their future rights.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2019, 05:35:06 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2019, 12:34:53 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 18, 2019, 08:28:51 PM
House of Commons to vote through withdrawal agreement on October 19:

Yes: 4/5
No: 6/5

I wonder if a second referendum can be attached to it as a condition for some opposition support.

Update:
Yes: 8/11
No: 11/10

I read that as a passage in the Commons looking slightly more likely.

Yes: 13/18

UK to leave the EU by Oct 31:
No: 1/3
Yes: 11/4

I don't see how this deal can go through. Johnson's pushing the limits of the executive branch's powers, but so far it looks like the checks and balances are holding. John Bercow is not letting Parliament be sidelined, and the courts are backing him all the way. Come November 1, Britain will still be in the EU unless something drastic and coup-like happens.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 21, 2019, 09:55:26 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2019, 05:35:06 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2019, 12:34:53 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 18, 2019, 08:28:51 PM
House of Commons to vote through withdrawal agreement on October 19:

Yes: 4/5

I wonder if a second referendum can be attached to it as a condition for some opposition support.

Update:
Yes: 8/11
No: 11/10

I read that as a passage in the Commons looking slightly more likely.

Yes: 13/18

UK to leave the EU by Oct 31:
No: 1/3
Yes: 11/4

I don't see how this deal can go through. Johnson's pushing the limits of the executive branch's powers, but so far it looks like the checks and balances are holding. John Bercow is not letting Parliament be sidelined, and the courts are backing him all the way. Come November 1, Britain will still be in the EU unless something drastic and coup-like happens.

They dont really have an executive branch, Parliament rules the roost, its sovereignty is protected by law. In normal times the cabinet could in defacto behave independently thanks to the Parliamentary whip in what is usually a majority government. Certainly nothing like the US system with equal branches and checks and balances etc etc.

Bottom line is a minority government in the UK is going to be a nightmare for the PM especially if they are zealots, so your right, Johnston's team are sorta snookered unless they come up with something clever to see this one out before Halloween.