Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on February 28, 2019, 09:42:21 AM
Is that supposed to be some sort of analogy or metaphor?!

You cannot reply to legitimate political concerns by promising a fantasy.
That is the core problem with Brexit. Sooner or later it becomes clear that the thing is a fraud.

The only way to deal with the problem is to invest in solutions and they didn't do that.
The GAA was one response to polarisation in Ireland in the 1880s. It still works

trailer

Is there any opinion polls for the following?
Remain v May's Deal
Remain v No Deal
No Deal v May's Deal

I'd love a 2nd referendum, but I don't see remain winning it. Not convincingly anyway which is what would be needed, like 60%+

LCohen

Quote from: trailer on February 28, 2019, 11:56:00 AM
Remain v May's Deal
Remain v No Deal
No Deal v May's Deal

I'd love a 2nd referendum, but I don't see remain winning it. Not convincingly anyway which is what would be needed, like 60%+
Unaware of any polls on those issues.

The only way to run polls and then a referendum on In/Out was to pretend it was simple and that people understood the question and the implications of their answer

Once you have specific proposals it becomes totally impossible to maintain the pretence that those being polled understand the issue

seafoid

Remain v May's Deal
Remain v No Deal
No Deal v May's Deal

Voters do not know how bad May's deal is
Most Tory voters think no deal vs May's deal is like Coke vs Pepsi

They will dismiss explanations as Project Fear.

It is a huge mess

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on February 28, 2019, 09:21:56 AM
The DUP will be steadfast in standing their ground much akin to Nero when Rome was burning.
Paddy Kielty is entirely right that the DUP's best chance to save face is a second referendum but they won't say as much.

a referendum will save the DUP, but it may show a much higher remain vote in NI, which would also show how representative the DUP actually are.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on February 28, 2019, 01:12:19 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 28, 2019, 09:21:56 AM
The DUP will be steadfast in standing their ground much akin to Nero when Rome was burning.
Paddy Kielty is entirely right that the DUP's best chance to save face is a second referendum but they won't say as much.

a referendum will save the DUP, but it may show a much higher remain vote in NI, which would also show how representative the DUP actually are.

IDK if it would. Remember Home rule is Rome rule. (Which actually turned out to be true but that's another thread)
DUP voters equate EU with Ireland. There this element in NI that if they're for it we should be against it. (See SF's stance on Brexit) Even UUP who supported Remain are now looking for a No Deal Brexit.
Never underestimate the people in NI to inflict self harm.
I would like to find out though.

seafoid

Remain v May's Deal
Remain v No Deal
No Deal v May's Deal

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-polls/uk-poll-results/

Jim_Murphy_74

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 28, 2019, 04:04:11 PM
Jaysus

/Jim.

I'd say her daughter is scunnered watching that, praying none of her uni friends see it.

JPGJOHNNYG

Where to start. The fact she is prepared to fi...ght if she doesnt agree with a democratic result. She works in Arlenes office FFS can they not just fecking say anything without triggering full flegger mode. Contrast that with the girl in the same programme on the street outside from a traditionally unionist background open to a UI if brexit is a mess.

trailer

Sammy Wilson and DUP now in full retreat.
Brexit: DUP could back deal with time-limited backstop https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-47402593

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on March 01, 2019, 07:47:51 AM
Brexit: DUP could back deal with time-limited backstop https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-47402593

What happened to "out means out" and all that bluster. Is the penny finally dropping for Sammy and co?
In any case we've been over the time limited backstop option months ago. It's a non runner. An insurance policy with a time limit is not an insurance policy.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: trailer on March 01, 2019, 07:47:51 AM

Is the backstop not time limited as it stands?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

If the UK goes it needs a deal with the US

https://www.ft.com/content/09bfe7ca-3bae-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0

In commercial partnerships, the US is asking the UK to "discourage politically motivated actions to boycott, divest from, and sanction Israel".