Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2016, 06:04:15 PM
Over an 8 month period I flew twice a week with work and not once did I pass anything like passport control.... Unless you're flying stateside which is fecking shit once you hit immigration you'll very rarely hit passport control, even came back from Amsterdam and nothing but a nod!!

I'd say ya must be dodgy looking enough to get singled out  :o

Do you need a visa to get into countries within Europe that aren't part of the EU?

Russia and Belarus require a visa.

balladmaker

QuoteOver an 8 month period I flew twice a week with work and not once did I pass anything like passport control.... Unless you're flying stateside which is fecking shit once you hit immigration you'll very rarely hit passport control, even came back from Amsterdam and nothing but a nod!!

I was flying from the US arriving in Belfast at 8.50 on Saturday morning.  Everyone has to go through passport control.

balladmaker

Quotea) I reckon balladmaker is talking out of his arse. Complete fabrication.

I reckon you're an idiot, just saying.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: balladmaker on July 26, 2016, 12:27:41 AM
QuoteOver an 8 month period I flew twice a week with work and not once did I pass anything like passport control.... Unless you're flying stateside which is fecking shit once you hit immigration you'll very rarely hit passport control, even came back from Amsterdam and nothing but a nod!!

I was flying from the US arriving in Belfast at 8.50 on Saturday morning.  Everyone has to go through passport control.

Was coming back from Orlando couple years ago and didn't.... Lifted passport to show and waved family through... You obviously looked dodgy

Getting in and out of states is shit, always has been... Any other country not so much
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 26, 2016, 07:39:14 AM

Was coming back from Orlando couple years ago and didn't.... Lifted passport to show and waved family through... You obviously looked dodgy

Getting in and out of states is shit, always has been... Any other country not so much

Lifting your passport to show is still passport control.

In Dublin, with an Irish passport, they barely seem to even glance at them. If I worked in the dump they call Aldergrove, I'd probably be a grumpy bollox as well.

Rois

Agree - every time I've been outside of the UK I've had to go through passport control at the International. 

armaghniac

Quote from: Rois on July 26, 2016, 10:47:11 AM

Agree - every time I've been outside of the UK I've had to go through passport control at the International.

Sure they know all the jetset travellers like Milltown Row and let them through with a wink and a nod.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on July 26, 2016, 10:53:49 AM
Quote from: Rois on July 26, 2016, 10:47:11 AM

Sure they know all the jetset travellers like Milltown Row and let them through with a wink and a nod.

Well what can I say? I'm off to Spain soon, I'll let ya know  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smokin Joe

I returned to Dublin from Canada a couple of years ago.

The Passport control area was empty, we must have been the first plane to arrive in quite a while and the first dozen or so people made it through the passport control booths before the Immigration people got to their booth!!!

So about a dozen people entered Ireland without having to show a passport.

Only in Ireland..............

omaghjoe

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 26, 2016, 01:13:33 PM
I returned to Dublin from Canada a couple of years ago.

The Passport control area was empty, we must have been the first plane to arrive in quite a while and the first dozen or so people made it through the passport control booths before the Immigration people got to their booth!!!

So about a dozen people entered Ireland without having to show a passport.

Only in Ireland..............

;D ;D ;D ;D
Johnny: "That plane's comin in there Joe"
Joe: "Ah sure we have a while yet, willa put on another pot?"
Johnny:" May as well sure those clampits at ground control will take ages to get them to the terminal, I'll open the custard creams here sure"
Joe;" Aye and those feckin temps on baggage will take ages to get the luggage off, did you go to Croker at the weekend"
Johnny" Sure whats the point? I watched it on the telly, sure those boggers were never going to able handle big Whelo and Alan Brogan in full flight, I hear Noel McCaffery lad was flyin, ah its hard to beat a fresh cup wha?
Mary rushes in: "Would get off yer arses, there's no one in the booths and that plane has already disemabarked"
Joe: "Grand so Mary, we will be there in a minute, we're just finished off this cup, sure wasnt this very cup negotiated as part of the Lansdowne agreement"
Joe and Jonny saunder out to the immigration booths
Johnny: " Shite Joe theres a few away thru should we stop them?
Joe Ah sure they're grand those wans wont be causing any bother so

seafoid

When the DUP took its pro-Brexit position, it will have known this reflected the majority of unionist opinion but that would not have justified knowingly leading unionism over a cliff. It must also be remembered few expected Leave to win, so the DUP set itself up to lose just to commune with its base on an apparently arcane question, three years before the next scheduled election – an eternity in political terms.

The UUP was pro-Remain, despite a few internal rumbles. Ensuring it is not in any way recognised for this seems to be more of a priority for the DUP today than sorting out the Brexit mess, in part because it does not believe Brexit will cause a mess.
We must confront the awful possibility DUP Euroscepticism is a position of worthy principle, sincerely held. Most people in the party genuinely believe cross-Border and single-market issues will be solved, the UK will thrive, Scottish nationalism will abate and everything will be fine. They are also completely indifferent to how much this is antagonising northern nationalists.

JimStynes

Left the rental car off at the French side of Geneva airport yesterday then made my way through to the Swiss side of the airport to get my flight. Walked the whole way through the French side and ended up in the arrivals area of Switzerland and not once did I get asked to show any passport/identification. And this is when there is heightened security. Was stopped in Dublin to show my passport. Hardly even looked at it to be fair but they were stopping non Irish passport holders.

imtommygunn

Quote from: seafoid on July 28, 2016, 07:22:39 AM
When the DUP took its pro-Brexit position, it will have known this reflected the majority of unionist opinion but that would not have justified knowingly leading unionism over a cliff. It must also be remembered few expected Leave to win, so the DUP set itself up to lose just to commune with its base on an apparently arcane question, three years before the next scheduled election – an eternity in political terms.

The UUP was pro-Remain, despite a few internal rumbles. Ensuring it is not in any way recognised for this seems to be more of a priority for the DUP today than sorting out the Brexit mess, in part because it does not believe Brexit will cause a mess.
We must confront the awful possibility DUP Euroscepticism is a position of worthy principle, sincerely held. Most people in the party genuinely believe cross-Border and single-market issues will be solved, the UK will thrive, Scottish nationalism will abate and everything will be fine. They are also completely indifferent to how much this is antagonising northern nationalists.

How are you coming to the conclusion that pro Brexit reflected the majority of the unionist population? I don't see any evidence to suggest it did and really don't think it did. I knew very few pro brexit people here to be honest although 44% is quite a few obviously.

seafoid

Quote from: JimStynes on July 28, 2016, 07:26:24 AM
Left the rental car off at the French side of Geneva airport yesterday then made my way through to the Swiss side of the airport to get my flight. Walked the whole way through the French side and ended up in the arrivals area of Switzerland and not once did I get asked to show any passport/identification. And this is when there is heightened security. Was stopped in Dublin to show my passport. Hardly even looked at it to be fair but they were stopping non Irish passport holders.

The Swiss border is not deemed to be high risk . Dover had tailbacks going back miles, by comparison