The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 06, 2007, 05:55:51 PM
Liverpool legend Tommy Smith is in hospital after suffering a heart attack at his home on Tuesday.
The 62-year-old ex-defender collapsed at his Crosby home while mowing the lawn but crawled into the house before his wife, Sue, called an ambulance.

The former Reds skipper was taken to Fazackerley Hospital and is expected to be discharged at the weekend.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton said: "Everyone at Liverpool sends him their best wishes for a speedy recovery."

He added: "He is a legend of the club and remains a very popular figure in the press box on match days.

"We look forward to seeing him again fit and well next season."

Smith's former Anfield team-mate Ian Callaghan added: "I'm shocked to hear about this. But he is on the go all the time doing things.

"Only last week we were together for a lunch at the Crowne Plaza. Maybe this is just a little warning. I am sure will be up and about before long."

Smith was famed for his hardman reputation during his playing days and was a fierce tackler with a no-nonsense approach to the game.

Born just a mile from Anfield, he joined the club ground staff as a 15-year-old in 1960.

Smith went on to become the first Liverpool captain to lift a European trophy when Bill Shankly's side won the League and Uefa Cup double in 1973.

He headed the decisive second goal in the 1977 European Cup final against Borussia Monchengladbach on his 600th appearance.

He went on to make 637 appearances for the Reds and had complained recently of chest pains.

He has also been having treatment for painful rheumatoid arthritis.

I will never forget the time he took part in a half-time penalty shoot-out at Wembley while claiming disability. Only 100 million pepole saw him. Quality stuff.

GalwayBayBoy

Alonso has signed a new contract so looks like he's going nowhere. Apparently Finnan and Momo are due to sign new contracts too apparently so maybe Momo isn't leaving after all?

Hank Everlast

was readin there that liverpool have been in talks with malouda.. chelsea also interested.  And gonzales probably gon to betis

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 08, 2007, 12:55:34 PM
But an Evertonian got the blame for squealing on him  :D

I think the lad who reported him had to publicly deny that he was a toffee. It was Smith started the rumour himself.

A rumour like that would spread like wildfire round a football-mad city like Liverpool.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Hank Everlast on June 08, 2007, 01:27:18 PM
was readin there that liverpool have been in talks with malouda.. chelsea also interested.  And gonzales probably gon to betis

Not sure what to think about Malouda? He's never impressed me all that much when I've seen him play with France but apparently he reallly does the business for Lyon.

isourboydownyet

just heard on the radio that benitez in trying to sign diego forlan :o,and is prepared to pay £16 million,now if this is the case this will probaly be the biggest waste of money of all time,as he showed at utd he may be a skillful player but just not up to prem football

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: isourboydownyet on June 11, 2007, 08:53:02 AM
just heard on the radio that benitez in trying to sign diego forlan :o,and is prepared to pay £16 million,now if this is the case this will probaly be the biggest waste of money of all time,as he showed at utd he may be a skillful player but just not up to prem football

In fairness to Forlan he is a lot better than he showed at United,I watch alot of Spainish football and he is one of the best strikers in that league
Wouldn't just judge him on a bad couple of years at United,Remember Henry was terrible a Arsenal for first few years too..
I think he be a good buy
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

You are more than welcome to him laoislad. If you lot sign Forlan it will be a joke. Certain players just cant cut the Premiership (Veron being a prime example) & Forlan is one of them

Hank Everlast

i have to agree with you ther full back, he is the type of player that really doesnt suit the physical side of premiership footy!

Syd

SuperDooperCooper

Rightly or wrongly expectations have been raised that super summer signings are on the way.
If we get Forlan and Yossi then these are far short of what was talked about.
If a championship challenge is what we are after (and it must be) we need starters not squad players.
Tevez, Eto'o, Villa, Torrez  that is the quality of player I was hoping for.....

brokencrossbar1

I have to say I am getting soemwhat perturbed by the lack of action in the business end of the transfer market.  Bennyoun is a decent player but hardly the kind of one to change the team into a Premiership winning one.  I have to have faith that Rafa has a few signings on the back burner waiting for things to be sorted out but I am very afraid that he doesn't.

This is a massive season for the club.  After having succeeded in resigning the players he has for a longer period of time, and with Manure catching on the title ladder of supremacy, only one thing will suffice and that is the League.  Too many times have false daws been followed by weak excuses so now they must take it to the next level and finally breakthe Premiership hoodoo.

GalwayBayBoy

Well it's still very early and the Spanish season isn't even over yet so no need to worry unduly just yet. The only team to spend big money so far has been Man U.

That said I think there's a growing realisation that the yanks aren't the sugar daddies that we and the media thought they were going to be. By all accounts coming out we aren't going to be spending much more than our usual Summer outlay on players. I think the fans will be very disappointed with that though as Gilette and Hicks certainly talked a good game after they took over but it looks like even the much maligned Glazers will be shelling out much more funds than them.

But let's see if they pull something out of the hat.