Started by Rossfan, September 23, 2019, 03:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Tubberman on November 18, 2019, 11:00:31 AM
Quote from: Rudi on November 18, 2019, 10:53:53 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 18, 2019, 09:59:21 AM
Quote from: galwayman on November 16, 2019, 04:06:32 PM
4–13 to 0-1 now.
Kilmaine are a decent enough side but surely the Sligo county  champions should be able to put in a better show than that.
Their champs won Connacht last year at this grade
Not that much better really, the club scene here is quite poor as you can tell from the senior results, and with only 23 clubs in all the junior grade has very few clubs involved, only three could have gone forward from it. Michael's aren't much of a team at all and in fact all they had to do to reach Saturday's final was to beat our club in the county semi final two months back, as the other finalists were a second team and Leitrim had no team to go forward. We would have been seen as clear favourites to win junior but Michael's got us on a day and a ground that was made for them rather than us, and there may have been a certain complacency involved too. Not that we'd have beaten Kilmaine anyway but we may have fared a bit better.

Citing Easkey winning last year isn't really relevant, as Easkey really should never have been in junior to begin with, they suffered two straight relegations, and weren't far off going back up to senior this year. Our reps record in junior is pretty dire aside (and our own crew are 0/3 in that regard) and it's not much better in intermediate either.

Incidentally I see it was yet another case of a Mayo team going all Flat Track Bully on Sligo opposition, 1-13 to 0-1 up and game well over as a contest, in so far as it ever was, and then they go running in four goals after that. Just like AOS, they might find out that it's not so easy getting goals when you might actually need one or two when it matters.

Its a Mayo thing to really beat the shite out of ya, when your down. When the heat comes on them, they shit the nest, then we can have a good laugh.

WTF - giving out about a team not taking it easy on ye? FFS lads, take up a different pass-time.
Really? Into the second half, 15 points up against 14 men, who've only managed a single point, and who would probably be quite relieved if the ref was to blow it up and end their ordeal early, and they go out of their way to score a couple more goals to really ensure the victory? FFS indeed.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 18, 2019, 11:57:19 AM
4–13 to 0-1 now.
Kilmaine are a decent enough side but surely the Sligo county  champions should be able to put in a better show than that.
Not that much better really, the club scene here is quite poor as you can tell from the senior results, and with only 23 clubs in all the junior grade has very few clubs involved, only three could have gone forward from it. Michael's aren't much of a team at all and in fact all they had to do to reach Saturday's final was to beat our club in the county semi final two months back, as the other finalists were a second team and Leitrim had no team to go forward. We would have been seen as clear favourites to win junior but Michael's got us on a day and a ground that was made for them rather than us, and there may have been a certain complacency involved too. Not that we'd have beaten Kilmaine anyway but we may have fared a bit better.

Citing Easkey winning last year isn't really relevant, as Easkey really should never have been in junior to begin with, they suffered two straight relegations, and weren't far off going back up to senior this year. Our reps record in junior is pretty dire aside (and our own crew are 0/3 in that regard) and it's not much better in intermediate either.

Incidentally I see it was yet another case of a Mayo team going all Flat Track Bully on Sligo opposition, 1-13 to 0-1 up and game well over as a contest, in so far as it ever was, and then they go running in four goals after that. Just like AOS, they might find out that it's not so easy getting goals when you might actually need one or two when it matters.

Its a Mayo thing to really beat the shite out of ya, when your down. When the heat comes on them, they shit the nest, then we can have a good laugh.

WTF - giving out about a team not taking it easy on ye? FFS lads, take up a different pass-time.
Really? Into the second half, 15 points up against 14 men, who've only managed a single point, and who would probably be quite relieved if the ref was to blow it up and end their ordeal early, and they go out of their way to score a couple more goals to really ensure the victory? FFS indeed.

If it was an underage game, then you would have a point.
However this is an adult game and as such the opposition is perfectly entitled to play to the whistle.
I'd be more insulted if I was playing in a game where my team was getting hammered and the other team took their foot off the pedal and stopped going for scores.

whitey

4–13 to 0-1 now.

WTF are you taking about

This Mayo team have run "The Greatest Team in GAA History" to within a point on 3 separate occasions and drawn with them twice

Farrandeelin

Well done to Kilmaine on winning the Connacht JFC. They'll no doubt try to defend it next year if they can! Also well done to Tooreen, who beat Kinvara by 5 points. Shudda made it 50 when Kinvara were down ;) but still a great achievement.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 18, 2019, 05:50:07 PM
4–13 to 0-1 now.

However this is an adult game and as such the opposition is perfectly entitled to play to the whistle.
I'd be more insulted if I was playing in a game where my team was getting hammered and the other team took their foot off the pedal and stopped going for scores.

The most bizarre complaint I have ever seen on this board.
Imagine a team in a final playing to the final whistle!
Add the snide AOS blindside thrown in for good measure.

I've been on the wrong end of a fair few hammerings down the years but I've never heard anyone complaining about the other team continuing to score!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Farrandeelin

What would Owenmore Gaels have done?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rudi

It's not a bizarre complaint I played on teams in Roscommon and Donegal where our coach would have told us to go easy on the opposition in the second half. Dont score goals go for points etc. I now coach myself and have regularly taken off our best players when giving the opposition a hammering. As I said and has been further endorsed on this thread it's a Mayo thing.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 19, 2019, 04:30:14 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on November 18, 2019, 05:50:07 PM
4–13 to 0-1 now.

The most bizarre complaint I have ever seen on this board.
Imagine a team in a final playing to the final whistle!
Add the snide AOS blindside thrown in for good measure.

I've been on the wrong end of a fair few hammerings down the years but I've never heard anyone complaining about the other team continuing to score!
It's not continuing to score itself, it's going for goals when you're already 15-20 points up I'm taking issue with. Not like it was a league game where score difference might perhaps come into the picture in the final standings, the game was long over and the cup was only waiting to be handed over, why go out of their way to pile on the humiliation on them?

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 19, 2019, 07:53:10 AM
What would Owenmore Gaels have done?
We wouldn't have won anyway, if that's what you mean. Might have done a bit better but then maybe not, we'd be different to Michael's in being a slightly better footballing side in general, and having more pace in the team, but then we'd be a lot lighter and less physical, which has cost us more than once in recent years, including that damp evening in Coola a while back.

Tubberman

Quote from: Rudi on November 19, 2019, 10:07:47 AM
It's not a bizarre complaint I played on teams in Roscommon and Donegal where our coach would have told us to go easy on the opposition in the second half. Dont score goals go for points etc. I now coach myself and have regularly taken off our best players when giving the opposition a hammering. As I said and has been further endorsed on this thread it's a Mayo thing.

Only Mayo teams hammer other teams!?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Meanwhile back to the Senior Final....
Hoping Pearse win it naturally enough but can't really see it happening.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Pearses were doing well and got back to equality only for Corofin to go down the field and score a goal.

https://youtu.be/XxHS9lTUN4Y
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Corofin 1-10 Padraig Pearses 0-7

Pearses got it back level early in the 2nd half but then Corofin went up and hit 1-4 without reply to effectively end the game.

fearsiuil

Liam Silke with another big goal today, well done Corofin on winning their 10th Connacht club title and 4th in a row.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2019, 03:06:35 PM
Pearses were doing well and got back to equality only for Corofin to go down the field and score a goal.

https://youtu.be/XxHS9lTUN4Y

That score turned the game on its head and Corofin used all their experience to keep Pearses at arms length after that goal.

Pearses to stand a chance needed the breaks to go their way and had two good shouts for penalties. Best team won and its hard to see who will be able to stop Corofin from winning another All-Ireland.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

There was a bit of needle in that game to say the least...