The Good News Thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, May 13, 2009, 11:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Gona be a daddy this year for the first time.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Hereiam on May 13, 2009, 04:16:57 PM

That you know of... ;)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 13, 2009, 04:18:12 PM

Good man  :)

is nothing better... good luck and savour every minute your time with your child.

Stalin

Im touching cloth and theres a toilet about 5yards away with bog roll and everything!
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Stalin

A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

red hander

From Belfast Telegraph today

Officers fined for dropping litter from police car

By Alan Erwin

Two police officers have been convicted of throwing litter from their staff car into a Co Antrim parking area.
One of them was also found guilty of flouting smoking laws by lighting up in a work vehicle before tossing his cigarette butt out the window.

Imposing fines on Constables Kim McKee and Donal Adams, District Judge Amanda Henderson said: "I'm aware of the consequences these convictions may have on other areas of your professional lives."
Ms McKee and Mr Adams, whose ages were not disclosed and with addresses given as care of Newtownabbey PSNI station, were prosecuted over an incident at Sixmilewater car park, Ballyclare, in May 2008.

Both accepted being there drinking tea and coffee and eating cookies from a Subway food outlet during a break while on duty. But they denied allegations that a steaming tea bag and milk carton was thrown from the police car.
Mr Adams, a smoker, also rejected witness claims that he took a puff from a cigarette before discarding it out the driver's side window.

The case against them was based on evidence supplied by a litter warden and worker for Newtownabbey Borough Council.  Mr Adams was given an extra £100 penalty for smoking in a smoke-free place, namely a work vehicle.
The officers were also both ordered to pay £100 in costs after Mr Irvine argued the case had been "vigorously contested by both defendants at every turn".

Cookies?  Whatever happened to doughnuts!

ziggysego

Just after watching Question Time on the BBC. David Dimbley told Margaret Beckett that she was fingered by the Daily Mail. She blushed and the audience broke out in fits of laugher  :D
Testing Accessibility

Minder

A Northumberland millionaire is selling his £16m country estate and giving every penny of the proceeds to charity.

Brian Burnie is open to offers for the Doxford Hall Hotel and its 10 acre estate near Alnwick.

He hopes to use the profits from the sale to establish and pay for a Macmillan cancer nurse for north Northumberland.

The 64-year-old also hopes to pay for a set of custom-made vehicles to take cancer patients to and from hospitals.

Mr Burnie said: "We live in a me, me, me society and it has always been important to me to think of others.

"We can all do something by leaving money to charity when we die, but why don't we do something while we are still living?"

Writing out the cheque is the easy bit - its actually getting off your jacket and helping the cause you want to support that is the hard part

Brian Burnie
Father-of-three Mr Burnie said he and his wife Shirley - a breast cancer survivor - would live on their private pension when the estate was sold.

He said: "We won't exactly be selling the Big Issue but we will be downsizing.

"I've done the stately home bit - the bricks and mortar - but I've always been a people person.

"To be able to do something to help people has a much bigger return than any financial gain."

The Newcastle-born millionaire joked he "went to school in Heaton and not Eton".

'Millionaires in kindness'

He said: "You are what your parents are and you should never forget your roots - we were millionaires in kindness, not money.

"Writing out the cheque is the easy bit - it's actually getting off your jacket and helping the cause you want to support that is the hard part."

Mr Burnie began his working life as a 15-year-old grocery delivery boy before beginning a student apprenticeship for builders John Laing.

He progressed to become a trained engineer before moving into management - firstly in the building industry then in petrochemicals.

In 1979, Mr Burnie and a partner started investment company Kelburn Holdings in Newcastle before later moving into recruitment.

Brightly coloured vehicles

This all led to Mr Burnie and his wife buying Doxford Hall from Northumberland County Council in 1993.

It is now a 25-bedroom hotel and spa complex which also hosts conferences and weddings.

Mr Burnie said he will call the transport service Daft As A Brush and will use brightly coloured vehicles.

Mr and Mrs Burnie have been contributing to charity for the last 40 years, supporting various cancer charities, inviting war veterans to their home for meals and opening their door to the less fortunate on Christmas Day.

A spokeswoman for Macmillan Cancer Trust said: "We are hoping to meet with Mr Burnie next week to discuss his plans and look forward to working with him to help people affected by cancer in Northumberland."

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Onion Bag

Congratulations, hope all goes well
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

The Real Laoislad

Bank holiday weekend coming up and the weather is suppose to be hot!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tankie

Leinster are European Champions!!!!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Capt Pat

Quote from: ziggysego on May 14, 2009, 11:10:18 PM
Just after watching Question Time on the BBC. David Dimbley told Margaret Beckett that she was fingered by the Daily Mail. She blushed and the audience broke out in fits of laugher  :D

Unfortunately the image of the question time audience laughing is not the one  that came to mind but that of Margaret Becket being fingered is now burned into my mind forever. :P

Eoghan Mag

I'm presenting a trad music show on local radio tomorrow!