New Catholic Church/ DUP coalition! Is this they way forward?

Started by T Fearon, February 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2015, 01:46:23 PM
How? By the amount of  bigots ganging up on me? It certainly isn't due to any logical coherent argument on their part.In fact the intellectual deficit is frightening on this Board as evidenced by the inability to understand that those who refuse to compromise on deeply held religious beliefs are being neither discriminatory or bigoted.

Yes Tony, all the ones arguing for 'live and let live' are the bigots. You, who insists on 'live as I say', on the other hand are a model citizen and are a perfect fit for the DUP. You will undoubtedly go straight to Heaven.

You will enjoy that, sneering from above at the rest of us for eternity.
MWWSI 2017

andoireabu

How? By the amount of  bigots ganging up on me? It certainly isn't due to any logical coherent argument on their part.In fact the intellectual deficit is frightening on this Board as evidenced by the inability to understand that those who refuse to compromise on deeply held religious beliefs are being neither discriminatory or bigoted.
I'd hope you aren't including me in your idea of a bigot and you still haven't answered my question.  From my interpretation from your response it seems that if you even slightly think there might be something happening that might go against your beliefs you have the right to refuse service to people even though you have no evidence whatsoever.  So say if you were a publican you could throw two lads who are having a pint together out of your bar just incase they are on a date even though they might both be straight.  What I would like to know is how far do YOU go to try and find out the actual facts of what is happening rather than just assuming you know? 
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

illdecide

Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2015, 01:55:30 PM

Yes Tony, all the ones arguing for 'live and let live' are the bigots. You, who insists on 'live as I say', on the other hand are a model citizen and are a perfect fit for the DUP. You will undoubtedly go straight to Heaven.

You will enjoy that, sneering from above at the rest of us for eternity.

I hope Tony doesn't book into Heaven Hotel a week early ;) It's easy to get dates mixed up. :)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

On the contrary I believe in live and let live bit when a lifestyle of which I don't approve impinges directly on my life and choices then I expect my rights and beliefs to be accorded respect.

T Fearon

Andoireabu I accept it can be difficult.Two same sex people in a bar having a drink,even if they are in a relationship I don't have a problem with.On the other hand the same two people sharing a bed in my house would present me with a crisis of conscience.I don't think I could consent to their custom if I was a B&B owner.

thebigfella

Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2015, 11:56:59 AM
It does impact on my ability to live my life as I please (part of which is the avoidance of sin or facilitation of same) if Im asked to ice a cake endorsing gay marriage or provide a room in my house for gay sex.Surely you a man of advanced years can grasp this simple and obvious point.

Is that not what confessions is for? Sure it's ok for the catholic church to turn a blind eye when it suits though

T Fearon

The Church or certain members who demean it is largely irrelevant.It is up to every individual member to follow  divine teaching to the best of his or her ability.

andoireabu

Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2015, 02:12:25 PM
Andoireabu I accept it can be difficult.Two same sex people in a bar having a drink,even if they are in a relationship I don't have a problem with.On the other hand the same two people sharing a bed in my house would present me with a crisis of conscience.I don't think I could consent to their custom if I was a B&B owner.

What if they aren't gay though?  What if they are both heterosexual and just want a better deal?  Do you ask them straight out if they are gay or do you assume they are just incase they might be?   
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

deiseach

Quote from: andoireabu on February 25, 2015, 02:18:53 PM
What if they aren't gay though?  What if they are both heterosexual and just want a better deal?  Do you ask them straight out if they are gay or do you assume they are just incase they might be?   

Tony's gaydar would tell him.

T Fearon

I cannot perceive any other plausible reason why two same sex members would want to share a bed.In fact in my experience hetrosexual males are loathe to even share a room!

T Fearon

I'm just wondering how many of the great defenders of human rights here would willingly be seen entering a gay bar or club for example?

Bingo

Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2015, 02:30:21 PM
I cannot perceive any other plausible reason why two same sex members would want to share a bed.In fact in my experience hetrosexual males are loathe to even share a room!
Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2015, 02:32:11 PM
I'm just wondering how many of the great defenders of human rights here would willingly be seen entering a gay bar or club for example?

When you are 100% comfortable in your own sexuality, these aren't an issue. However, if you have any doubts and try to go to the extreme to defend your own true feelings on the matter...then I can see why you have a problem with the above.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2015, 02:17:53 PM
The Church or certain members who demean it is largely irrelevant.It is up to every individual member to follow  divine teaching to the best of his or her ability.

Can you show me where exactly 'divine teaching' instructs you to impose your will on homosexuals?
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

It was perfectly acceptable to discriminate against the Catholic / Nationalist community in the recent history of Ireland (north and south), because they had a belief political / religious view to the Unionist / Protestant community at that time.

Is do you find that unacceptable then and this acceptable now?

Incidentally the Conscience Clause has far wider implication than you realise Tony.
Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

If a private business wants to turn away customers - let them at it. It creates a grand little opportunity for someone else.
E.g if Tony's mythical B+B doesn't want gay couples, unmarried heterosexual couples or whatever - open another B+B near him with a sign saying "All paying guests welcome".
Different if it's a public body e.g a Council refusing Planning permission to a gay couple to build a house.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM