Nathan Carter

Started by Harold Disgracey, January 29, 2013, 11:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: general_lee on May 20, 2016, 02:38:07 PM
Quote from: leenie on May 20, 2016, 12:55:10 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 20, 2016, 12:38:16 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 19, 2016, 11:43:39 PM
Carter is supposedly a bit of a bollix behind the scenes. From the horse's mouth.
I've heard similar

His manager is a Bollox , but I've met carter thru a fundraising event and he came to our local for a pre launch and extremely friendly and when he preformed at our festival he brought all his family but the manager was t**ser, was kicking up a fuss cause there was few tussles in the car park.. And the following night Nathan came back as a customer .. But that was 3 yrs ago so he might not be the same
I've heard Nathan was a shlippery enough customer when it comes to female fans, I know 2 girls claim to have shifted him and one says he felt her ass... All from Tyrone mind you so ya have to take what they say with a generous pinch of salt  ;)

Theres a shock.

ziggysego

Quote from: leenie on May 20, 2016, 12:21:47 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 19, 2016, 09:45:57 PM
Quote from: leenie on May 18, 2016, 02:22:33 PM
I have been known to part take in the country scene .. A few years back I couldn't imagine I would have but I have had some deadly nights and it's great for meeting people.. There is a few who sing popular culture songs as well as country, Johnny Brady was doing rock music before country and was unreal , but I suppose he moved into the country as there is money in it ..

If it's the jiving your after Buckley and mizzell are the ones
If it's the Craic it's, Johnny Brady Jim Devine and Derek Ryan

Nathan doesn't do venues like the tullyglass and riding-dale anymore

Did someone mention muck savage thread  ;D ;D :P ::)

Is the country scene filling the void left by modern nightclubs and lack of slow sets?

I've never seen anyone curting on the dance floor .. Was out at a 'nite club' recently and it was stuffed with drunk ppl in there own groups or fellas following girls around like puppy's .. This doesn't happy on country nights .. Everyone mixes and there's no pushing and shoving

And it's not checked shirts and Stetson .. The girls are far more classy and well dressed and less drunk .. And if you are a fella who can dance your sorted .. I know a fella who has queues of women waiting to dance him .( which I do find amusing). You're actually doing something and you get to talk to the person ..in a nite club you just drink and look the curt

I must get my dancing shoes on leenie,  who are these women?
Testing Accessibility

From the Bunker

Hate this genre of Music. I suppose it has it's place.

Although these crowd are not bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgvppD2ars8

seafoid

Quote from: leenie on May 20, 2016, 01:12:22 PM

Most clubs you are guaranteed the ride, country nights no. Unless u are prepared to go for some old divorcee
[/quote]

On a separate note from Nathan .. Either I'm turning old or missed out but I'm suprised at the amount of girls taking randomers home to their home houses after a nite out .( my recent trip to a night club there was 11 single fellas went down and 4 came back .. The rest all going home with weemin )Back in the day u had to b at uni or living out of home .. I would have been killed if I'd took a stranger home ..
[/quote]
Back in the day the notion of taking a selfie of your genitals was unheard of

DickyRock

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 20, 2016, 10:15:02 PM

Disturbing video though- all I could see was a stalker 😯

snoopdog

Quote from: DickyRock on May 21, 2016, 09:27:56 AM

Why do they all sound the same?

From the Bunker

Quote from: snoopdog on May 21, 2016, 01:15:12 PM
Quote from: DickyRock on May 21, 2016, 09:27:56 AM

Why do they all sound the same?
Because it's a winning formula!

balladmaker

Nathan's performance on last night's Nolan Show on the BBC wouldn't have me rushing out to book a ticket for his upcoming SSE Arena show, no doubt he'll pack it out all the same.

cynic

Carter is from Liverpool; and, yes, it's his real name.  He now lives in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh.  Seems like a decent enough lad, on a personal basis.  But you don't pick your musicians on the basis of how nice they are as people.  My late Dad was a hardcore trad fiddle player in the unaccompanied Donegal style and his view of cheesy Irish country was that it was "simple stuff - music for people who don't understand music".

The wider issue with much Irish country is that it isn't country.  Daniel O'Donnell had a big row years ago with English country music charts when the country fans in England tried to stop him being listed on country charts on the basis that he was a boring dinner jacketed crooner, not a real country singer. 

The new wave of cheesy so-called country is even more misleading.  It has little to do with country, either in its ethos or its delivery.  Very revealing that when Carter was asked who his biggest musical influence was, he said Michael BublĂ©.  Michael f***ing Bubble!  No harm to mr Bubble, but he is to country what I am to quantum physics, i.e., nothing.  No mention of Johnny Cash or The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band or, god help us, not even Joe Dolan or Big Tom.  In reality, these new country pretty boys are just cleancut, cissified, boyband pop crooners cynically wearing big hats to market themselves to a new culchie market. 

Compare the choirboy Nathan and his inane warblings with the style of a real new US country singer such as, e.g., Chris Stapleton - this is what a country singer should look like: http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/01-Chris-Stapleton-bb4-grammy-2016-billboard-1250.jpg
Hi songs titles show what a different world he lives in compared to saint Nathan - you won't hear Carter recording songs with titles like "Tennessee Whiskey", "Might as well get stoned" or "Death Row".

When I was a kid at school in Omagh in the late 70s through early 80s, all the young people formed their own punk / new wave bands.  There were "battles of the bands" off the back of a lorry in O'Kane Park using amps borrowed from parents who had been in showbands in the 50s; doing Joy Division, Sex Pistols, Damned and Capt Beefheart covers.  Country music beyond the pale.  It wasn't even worth laughing at.  Nobody, but nobody, was into it.   Some lads from my year from back then:
http://www.spitrecords.co.uk/excellerators.htm
http://www.spitrecords.co.uk/theproblems.htm
http://www.irishrock.org/irodb/bands/crocodile-omagh.html

There are two reasons why modern kids don't do cutting edge music any more and why they're into all this Carter rubbish that kids in the 70s and 80s would have laughed at:

- the death of nightclubs - traditional line dancing I'm sure is good crack, and if it comes packaged with naff new country music. reality is, lots of kids don't really care one way or another, as long as they get a shift

- the death of pop music as a mark of social identity.  TOTP is dead.  Modern kids define themselves through social media, not by which bands you like. Music is just background noise / another thing for kids nowadays, it's no longer a vital part of their identity like it was for my generation. 

- the stranglehold on pop music by simon cowbells, Louis walsh and other assorted a**holes.  in my time, music still had the potential to be rebellious / counter-cultural.  now it's just a bunch of crawlers on TV, crying and sucking up to simon cowbells.  modern mainstream pop is so boring (Adele ffs) that even Carter's rubbish doesn't seem much worse.

And on the narrow point re wagon wheel, yes, obviously, Carter completely misunderstands and makes a hames of the song.  Guy can hold a melody, but there's more to singing than that.  He can't interpret a song.  He's like a song destroyer, where no matter what decent song goes into the nathanatron, it all comes out the other end as the same upbeat, grinning, inane sh1te.  God help us all : )

seafoid

Quote from: cynic on May 14, 2017, 12:00:17 PM
Carter is from Liverpool; and, yes, it's his real name.  He now lives in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh.  Seems like a decent enough lad, on a personal basis.  But you don't pick your musicians on the basis of how nice they are as people.  My late Dad was a hardcore trad fiddle player in the unaccompanied Donegal style and his view of cheesy Irish country was that it was "simple stuff - music for people who don't understand music".

The wider issue with much Irish country is that it isn't country.  Daniel O'Donnell had a big row years ago with English country music charts when the country fans in England tried to stop him being listed on country charts on the basis that he was a boring dinner jacketed crooner, not a real country singer. 

The new wave of cheesy so-called country is even more misleading.  It has little to do with country, either in its ethos or its delivery.  Very revealing that when Carter was asked who his biggest musical influence was, he said Michael BublĂ©.  Michael f***ing Bubble!  No harm to mr Bubble, but he is to country what I am to quantum physics, i.e., nothing.  No mention of Johnny Cash or The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band or, god help us, not even Joe Dolan or Big Tom.  In reality, these new country pretty boys are just cleancut, cissified, boyband pop crooners cynically wearing big hats to market themselves to a new culchie market. 

Compare the choirboy Nathan and his inane warblings with the style of a real new US country singer such as, e.g., Chris Stapleton - this is what a country singer should look like: http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/01-Chris-Stapleton-bb4-grammy-2016-billboard-1250.jpg
Hi songs titles show what a different world he lives in compared to saint Nathan - you won't hear Carter recording songs with titles like "Tennessee Whiskey", "Might as well get stoned" or "Death Row".

When I was a kid at school in Omagh in the late 70s through early 80s, all the young people formed their own punk / new wave bands.  There were "battles of the bands" off the back of a lorry in O'Kane Park using amps borrowed from parents who had been in showbands in the 50s; doing Joy Division, Sex Pistols, Damned and Capt Beefheart covers.  Country music beyond the pale.  It wasn't even worth laughing at.  Nobody, but nobody, was into it.   Some lads from my year from back then:
http://www.spitrecords.co.uk/excellerators.htm
http://www.spitrecords.co.uk/theproblems.htm
http://www.irishrock.org/irodb/bands/crocodile-omagh.html

There are two reasons why modern kids don't do cutting edge music any more and why they're into all this Carter rubbish that kids in the 70s and 80s would have laughed at:

- the death of nightclubs - traditional line dancing I'm sure is good crack, and if it comes packaged with naff new country music. reality is, lots of kids don't really care one way or another, as long as they get a shift

- the death of pop music as a mark of social identity.  TOTP is dead.  Modern kids define themselves through social media, not by which bands you like. Music is just background noise / another thing for kids nowadays, it's no longer a vital part of their identity like it was for my generation. 

- the stranglehold on pop music by simon cowbells, Louis walsh and other assorted a**holes.  in my time, music still had the potential to be rebellious / counter-cultural.  now it's just a bunch of crawlers on TV, crying and sucking up to simon cowbells.  modern mainstream pop is so boring (Adele ffs) that even Carter's rubbish doesn't seem much worse.

And on the narrow point re wagon wheel, yes, obviously, Carter completely misunderstands and makes a hames of the song.  Guy can hold a melody, but there's more to singing than that.  He can't interpret a song.  He's like a song destroyer, where no matter what decent song goes into the nathanatron, it all comes out the other end as the same upbeat, grinning, inane sh1te.  God help us all : )

There was an American journalist called Mencken who wrote that nobody went broke underestimating the taste of the public.
If people like it, let them off. A lot of pop is crap as well. So is a lot of restaurant food, a lot of journalism etc.

What music does is mysterious. It's not always rational

http://rsvpmagazine.ie/nathan-carter-brings-joy-cancer-patient/