Things that make you go .....Hmmm, that's interesting.

Started by Asal Mor, October 05, 2012, 05:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 23, 2015, 11:26:16 AM
I thought this was interesting.

http://www.newstalk.com/Dail-revoked-laws-Ireland-British-rule-King-James-II-Statute-Law-Repeal-Bill

Apparently we still recognise King James II as our King, and we are at war with Denmark and France. We also should be fasting every first Wednesday on account of the plague in London.

Surely the creation of a new state null and voids the legislation of the old?

muppet

Quote from: CD on September 29, 2015, 09:14:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 29, 2015, 08:54:34 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 23, 2015, 11:26:16 AM
I thought this was interesting.

http://www.newstalk.com/Dail-revoked-laws-Ireland-British-rule-King-James-II-Statute-Law-Repeal-Bill

Apparently we still recognise King James II as our King, and we are at war with Denmark and France. We also should be fasting every first Wednesday on account of the plague in London.
The Stuarts were bad news.  Never did anything for us.
All right, but apart from the fountain pen, the diving bell, public transport, road signs, paper money, the fire service, the microscope, the seed drill, coffee shops and the the three piece suit, what have the Stuarts ever done for us?

Diving bell much?
CIE??
FIAT currency???
3 piece suits????

Worse than Fianne Fáil.  :)
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

Think there was something very similar near Yellowstone quite recently? Some Geological shit going down, there may be trouble ahead.

finbar o tool

An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

muppet

Wasn't sure where to put this. There is a better one which includes light rail as well somewhere.

MWWSI 2017

Asal Mor

smort

Quote from: muppet on December 01, 2015, 05:19:40 PM
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20151123-the-last-king-of-ireland

Amazingly that link cannot be visited from the North...

"We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee"

:-X

Denn Forever

BBC
Accessibility links

Accessibility Help

Sign in
BBC navigation

News
    Sport
    Weather
    Shop
    Earth
    Travel
    More

Search the BBC
Travel

Home
    Destinations
    Interests
    Videos
    Columns

Tory Island lies off the coast of County Donegal in Ireland, aerial, Baelor's Fort (Credit: Credit: David Lyons/Alamy)

Europe Ireland History

The last king of Ireland

Royalty is elected and legends live on through this strange, tiny island off the coast of County Donegal.

facebook
    Twitter
    reddit
    StumbleUpon
    Google +
    Email

By Nicola Busca

1 December 2015

Ireland's tiny Tory Island isn't home to much. There are 150 inhabitants, one road, one church, one grocery store (which doubles as a post office), one lighthouse, one hotel, one hostel, one social club and – despite the 1800 Acts of Union that unified the kingdoms of Ireland and Great Britain – one king.

Patsy Dan Rodgers has ruled Tory Island for over 20 years (Credit: Credit: Philip Dunn/Alamy)

Patsy Dan Rodgers has ruled Tory Island for over 20 years (Credit: Philip Dunn/Alamy)

His name is Patsy Dan Rodgers, he's 71 years old and he has lived on the 5km-long and 1km-wide County Donegal island since he was four. He became king in 1993, though not – as you might expect – by inheritance. Instead, as per the island's custom, he was elected.

It's a tradition that, according to Rodgers, dates back the 6th Century, when Saint Columba (Colm Cille, in Irish) disembarked on Tory in order to spread Christianity. "He came to the island, and it was all pagans," said Rodgers. "The islanders agreed to meet him, and Saint Colm Cille had a conversation with a man called Duggan."

Life on Tory Island is quiet, but at the whims of the weather (Credit: Credit: Nicola Busca)

Life on Tory Island is quiet, but at the whims of the weather (Credit: Nicola Busca)

Duggan, Rodgers continued, expressed to the saint his fears about the pirates who were descending onto the island and destroying its houses. Saint Columba gave Duggan the honour of being the king of Tory, adding that the island would survive the peril if Duggan challenged the pirates. When Saint Columba's prediction turned out to be real, the pagans converted to Christianity and erected a monastery in the saint's memory. (Destroyed in 1595, the monastery's surviving bell-tower remains one of Tory's symbols today).

Columba also gave Duggan a present: a pot of clay with magical properties (it kept away rats and protected fisherman while at sea). The holy clay – which has left the island without rats since then – is still believed to be magic and can be handled exclusively by the oldest family member of the Duggan clan.

"From that day to this day, the islanders are very serious" about the tradition of the king, Rodgers said.

Fishing boats line the port of this remote Irish island (Credit: Credit: Gareth McCormack/Alamy)

Fishing boats line the port of this remote Irish island (Credit: Gareth McCormack/Alamy)

Today, the king undertakes duties such as ambassadorial obligations on the mainland and abroad; welcoming visitors when they arrive at the harbour and saying goodbye to them when they leave; and entertaining tourists at night by playing the accordion or telling them stories about his home land.

As well as king, Rodgers is also a painter. Together with Tory's other artists, he keeps alive the island's 50-year-old tradition of primitive painting, which was started by English painter Derek Hill when he first visited Tory in 1956. Rodgers' main subject is the island itself: sun-kissed in the summer and flagellated by violent Atlantic storms in the winter.

Patsy Dan Rodgers in his kingdom (Credit: Credit: Nicola Busca)

Patsy Dan Rodgers in his kingdom

(Credit: Nicola Busca)

It isn't just the king's paintings that are influenced by Tory. His temper also seems to have been shaped by the same extreme sceneries as his artwork. Like the sea roughened by a hurricane, Rodgers can be indomitable, particularly when speaking about the island's future or how people look to him as a leader. But when the blizzard calms down, he speaks gently again.

"People think I am higher up than I am," Rodgers said, "that I have powers to do things for the island and if something goes wrong, I should be able to fix it. I try to do my best, but I don't feel I should really be looked at like that."

The Anvil on the Tory Island coast (Credit: Credit: Stephen Emerson/Alamy)

The Anvil on the Tory Island coast (Credit: Stephen Emerson/Alamy)

Although the kingship is the most famous of Tory's traditions, the island's legends date back even further than the 6th Century, and they strongly tie in with some of Ireland's most important mythology. King Balor – a one-eyed giant and lord of the supernatural race of Fomorians – is said to have lived in Dún Bhaloir (Balor's Fort), a promontory stronghold on Tory's east coast that dates from the Iron Age. In the tower of Tor Mór – the island's highest point – Balor allegedly kept his daughter Eithne in prison, fearing the prophecy that said he would be killed by his grandson, the warrior of the light, Lugh. The fort, naturally defended on three sides by 90m-high cliffs and on the land side by four massive banks, is believed to date back to 700 BC, while the first archaeological evidence of human occupation on the island dates from around 2500 BC.

Legends aside, the landscape surrounding Balor's Fort is breath-taking. At the end of the only road that leads to the island's east side – through East Town, one of Tory's only two settlements – the path turns into a small track, and then passes over a natural land-bridge that connects the two sides of the island. After a wire fence, the walk proceeds uphill toward the fort's ruins.

The wild, rocky coast of Tory Island (Credit: Credit: Klaus Bossemeyer/Alamy)

The wild, rocky coast of Tory Island (Credit: Klaus Bossemeyer/Alamy)

Even if it's hard to identify the fort – there's little of it left and there isn't any sign – the scenery is well worth the effort. Dramatic and steep cliffs; waves that shatter against Tory's northern, rocky face; sharp ridges that scare hikers at first glance – it's easy to understand why this side of the island has inspired all sort of legends. When walking around the stone field that dominates the cliffs, pay extra care to the cliffs' edges; one strong wind could send you off course.

The landscape is totally different on the island's western side, where storms and winds have sanded away all its rough edges, leaving nothing on the ground except for small bushes.

"It is very hard to live here in the winter," said Eilis Rodgers, the daughter of former Tory king Patrick Rodgers (unrelated to the current king). "One year, in the night, a big wave threw a plastic tank against my house and it destroyed a window. I remember I heard a big crack, but no one was hurt."

Colourful cottages in the small village of Tory Island (Credit: Credit: Gareth McCormack/Alamy)

Colourful cottages in the small village of Tory Island (Credit: Gareth McCormack/Alamy)

In 1974, because of massive Atlantic storms, Tory Island was cut off from the mainland for almost two months. The Irish government tried to resettle the islanders in Donegal.

"From the 11th of January 1974 – seven weeks and three days", remembered the king, "At that time, we had three shops and we were able to divide with one another. I wouldn't say we would not help one another now, but it's completely different now."

"They [the government] offered every family of the island a house on the mainland and they encouraged 130 people. That was very, very sad," Rodgers continued. "It was a war with us but we fought, and here we are today, still on the island."

Of the 150 people who live on Tory Island year-round, there are 21 children, eight of whom were born in the last four years. However, both the survival of the community and its peculiar "royal" tradition are now in danger.

"I am not sure I want to be king until I die," Rodgers confessed. "For the benefit of the island I hope there will be somebody else, but it depends on who is more active on the island. I wish I could decide who can be the next king, but it's not the case."

Tourism is the main source of income for the islanders. But extreme weather conditions and – according to Rodgers – access challenges are negatively affecting Tory's survival.

The king greets all visitors who ferry to Tory Island (Credit: Credit: Design Pics Inc/Alamy)

The king greets all visitors who ferry to Tory Island (Credit: Design Pics Inc/Alamy)

"I would love for this island to be powerful for friends and visitors that travel so long," Rodgers said. "I want them to be able to buy handcrafts or paintings, or have a good meal, or find a good place to stay."

"But to double the number of visitors, the ferry has to be replaced," Rodgers continued. "Other islands with roughly the same population of Tory have two ferries and they can board double as many people. Other islands are so strong, and we have the same culture and language. We seem to be lost along the road, and that's not fair at all."
Share this article:

facebook
    Twitter
    reddit
    StumbleUpon
    Google +
    Email

Advertisement
Related Stories

Newgrange continues to mystify to this day, Ireland, ancient (Credit: Credit: Steppenwolf /Alamy)
    Ireland's most ancient secrets
    Passing by the Cliffs of Moher while viewing Ireland's rugged coast, Country Clare (Credit: Credit: mikedabell/iStock)
    'This was not the same Ireland'
    A bed resembling calligraphy, Riverstock, Ireland, Joseph Walsh (Credit: Credit: Joseph Walsh)
    Ireland's heart of gold and silver

Light Rain Shower 54°f

Dublin

Irish Republic

Wed Light Cloud Thu Light Cloud Fri Sunny Intervals Sat Light Rain Shower

Follow BBC Travel

Facebook
    Twitter
    Pinterest
    Instagram

Editors' Picks

Carvings cover every inch of the outer walls, temple, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, India (Credit: Credit: Charukesi Ramadurai)
    India's temples of sex
    From up high, each cloud is as different as a snowflake, airplane, window seat (Credit: Credit: maroznc/iStock)
    Always choose the window seat
    On top of the world, explore, mountaineer, French Alps (Credit: Credit: Jean-Pierre Clatot/Getty)
    Why only some are born explorers
    Jimmy Nelson with the Asaro tribe. (Credit: Jimmy Nelson Pictures BV, beforethey.com)
    Six travellers changing the world
    50 reasons to love the world
    50 reasons to love the world
    Pyramids of Giza, Egypt (Credit: Richard I'Anson/LPI)
    BBC Travel's Friday Features
    BBC Travel's Geoguessr
    How well do you know the world?

Ads by Google

Word Pronunciation

Translations, Word Definitions & More With Dictionary Boss App!

www.dictionaryboss.com
    Improve Spoken English

Learn The Deep English Method. Get The Free Course. Sign Up Now.

www.deepenglish.com/LearningEnglish
    Free Maps & Directions

Get Maps, Directions & Traffic Conditions with Free App!

www.mapsgalaxy.com

More amazing Travel stories

Inside the preserved mosques and madrassas of Silk Road Bukhara, Uzbekistan (Credit: Credit: J Marshall - Tribaleye Images/Alamy)
    The hidden side of the Silk Road
    Ottoman archery adventures, horse, luxury, gift guide (Credit: http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20141204-bbc-travels-2014-gift-guides)
    Gift guide 2015: Luxury
    Djibouti, Africa, Lac Assal (Credit: Credit: Andrew McConnell/Alamy)
    Is Africa getting a Dubai?
    Tomorrow We Disappear documented the magic of the Kathputli artist colony, India (Credit: Credit: Joshua Cogan/Tomorrow We Disappear)
    Saving India's artist ghetto
    The UE Roll is one of the best gifts to get your techie friend, gift guide, gadget (Credit: Credit: Ultimate Ears)
    Gift guide 2015: Gadgets
    Passengers board a crowded plane, flying, air (Credit: Credit: Peter Macdiarmid/Getty)
    'I don't just tolerate airplane travel'

Around the BBC

Future
    Why heroes emerge in every atrocity
        Future
    Are aliens hiding behind starlight?
        Culture
    'The only song in the world now'
        Culture
    Why does the US love the Royals?
        Capital
    How to save at peak travel times
        Capital
    Why you don't want a kid genius

Explore the BBC

News
    Sport
    Weather
    Shop
    Earth
    Travel
    Capital
    Culture
    Autos
    Future
    TV
    Radio
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    Food
    Make It Digital
    iWonder
    Bitesize
    Music
    Nature
    Local

Terms of Use
    About the BBC
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies
    Accessibility Help
    Parental Guidance
    Contact the BBC
    Advertise with us
    Ad choices

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: smort on December 01, 2015, 05:23:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 01, 2015, 05:19:40 PM
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20151123-the-last-king-of-ireland

Amazingly that link cannot be visited from the North...

"We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee"

:-X

Bizzarre.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

Palmarian Catholic Church, interesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmarian_Catholic_Church