Armagh v Down - USFC Semi-Final - Clones, 4pm, Sun 30th April

Started by balladmaker, April 24, 2023, 08:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Old rivalries renewed, great to see Armagh v Down happening again.  This year's Div 1 v Div 3 didn't matter to Down when it came to a very poor Donegal.  Armagh will be favourites, however, as Down supporters of a certain age would remind you, throw a red and black jersey on the field and Armagh are beaten ... thankfully that was put to bed once and for all in 1999.

Serious opportunity for both teams, but I don't see Armagh not navigating this one on Sunday.

downtothecore

Yeah looking forward to this one. Armagh have been playing at a high level recently so are rightly the favourites. I think we are making progress and hope we can give a good account of ourselves.

Eire90

i think its first time since 2008 either Tyrone or Donegal not in final.

bennydorano

If it's a good day weather-wise could be a bumper attendance in the Buckfast Bowl,a Down team & fans starved of big days out and seemingly on the way back, Armagh with a fanatical fan base and fond of a Clones day trip.

As for the game, I think we're well ahead of Down development wise and should win this one, but I definitely see bigger things ahead for Down assuming they keep Laverty and Clarke on board and don't self implode.

snoopdog

Down were given very little credit yesterday for winning. It was all qbout Donegals troubles in the Sunday game. Forgetting Donegals 2 results in league were against the All Ireland finalists.  Yes Armagh are on a diff level. Down will be happy with a good solid performance. 

naka

Phone hopping mad last night with my Down friends intoxicated with the thought of a crack at the orchard.
For me it's the perfect game for both teams as Down won't fear Armagh and the south Armagh contingent in the panel will
Ensure there is no complacency .
If Down win then Armagh need to forget about the summer because they should be putting this Down team away .
If it's a dry day then clones will be hopping .

Orior

In 2017, Armagh went to Newry to meet Down in the Ulster Quarter-final. We were more than quietly confident, but that day the Armagh machine just didn't click into gear. Result was Down 0-15 Armagh 2-7

However, I expect the groundsmen to have mowed the long grass.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Armagh18

Quote from: Orior on April 24, 2023, 10:29:30 AM
In 2017, Armagh went to Newry to meet Down in the Ulster Quarter-final. We were more than quietly confident, but that day the Armagh machine just didn't click into gear. Result was Down 0-15 Armagh 2-7

However, I expect the groundsmen to have mowed the long grass.
Never get it handy against them. What year was it we were up against it only for Murnin to flick one into the net from a long ball? 2019 maybe?

tbrick18

Pressure all on Armagh and Mcgeeney for this game in what's effectively a free shot for Down.
I'm not sure Armagh are as good as people think and Down are better than people give them credit for.
A huge Kilcoo contingent means they have plenty of talent and experience.

Armagh obviously favourites as its Div1 vs Div3, but I think this could be a really tight game and a Down win would not surprise me one bit.

yellowcard

Wouldn't read too much into Downs win yesterday as I expected them to win simply because Donegal were awful. I'd say those Donegal players will have little appetite to return to training for the All Ireland series, they just need to see out the season and start again next year with a clean slate.

5times5times

Rafferty
Morgan McKay Forker
Mackin McCambridge McCabe
JarlyOg Crealey
Duffy Grugan Campbell
Turbitt Murnin O'Neill

Bench
McPartlan
Sheridan
Hall
Grimley
Nugent
Kelly
Cumiskey
Mackin

naka

Quote from: 5times5times on April 24, 2023, 11:06:30 AM
Rafferty
Morgan McKay Forker
JarlyOg Crealey
Duffy Grugan Campbell
Turbitt Murnin O'Neill

Bench
McPartlan
Sheridan
Hall
Grimley
Nugent
Kelly
Cumiskey
Mackin
Mc partland for jarly
Conor o Neill for Mackin
On the bench would drop Sheridan and keep Higgins

5times5times

Quote from: naka on April 24, 2023, 11:13:36 AM
Quote from: 5times5times on April 24, 2023, 11:06:30 AM
Rafferty
Morgan McKay Forker
JarlyOg Crealey
Duffy Grugan Campbell
Turbitt Murnin O'Neill

Bench
McPartlan
Sheridan
Hall
Grimley
Nugent
Kelly
Cumiskey
Mackin
Mc partland for jarly
Conor o Neill for Mackin
On the bench would drop Sheridan and keep Higgins

Harsh to drop Mackin? Not a bad problem to have all the same. Armagh's squad depth should get them over the line.