Angelina Jolie

Started by Denn Forever, May 14, 2013, 10:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

A brave woman. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22520720

She said her doctors estimated she had an 87% risk of breast cancer and a 50% risk of ovarian cancer. "I decided to be proactive and to minimise the risk as much I could," she wrote.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

Its a no brainer if you have the gene that you get the operation, I'm sure like most things in the States it cost money for it, I'd like to think that the NH will pay for it over here if it's determinded that you have it.

Be sad to see this gone! but no doubt she'll have cosmetic surgery to have a better look

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Brave move, particularly for someone who seemed to be a sex maniac. But maybe she has cooled down now.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

It must be a very hard decision for any woman to make.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on May 14, 2013, 11:32:34 AM
Brave move, particularly for someone who seemed to be a sex maniac. But maybe she has cooled down now.

I think she can still have sex, though like most married women with kids she probably can't be bother ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Massive decision! No brainer, I know! But with a woman doing this, it is really voluntary decimation of her body. Being a Celebrity star where she was a sex symbol (and surely some of the adoration would go to her head) this would make the decision extra big. God bless the poor woman, no matter how much money she has to solve some of the problems, it's a hard sacrifice at such a young age.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 14, 2013, 01:10:58 PM
Massive decision! No brainer, I know! But with a woman doing this, it is really voluntary decimation of her body. Being a Celebrity star where she was a sex symbol (and surely some of the adoration would go to her head) this would make the decision extra big. God bless the poor woman, no matter how much money she has to solve some of the problems, it's a hard sacrifice at such a young age.
Too right. Cancer has no respect for fame and fortune. The wife's cousin died aged 39 a couple of weeks ago, leaving behind a husband and 3 children (6, 4 and 2yo). It is good that there are diagnostic tools available to give people the option these days and reconstruction is possible after the surgery.

lawnseed

laoislad.. hes heart broken..

i like her, i dont know her but she has something i like
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Puckoon

Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2013, 11:34:28 AM
It must be a very hard decision for any woman to make.

I know we go at it on a few different topics - but I was just discussing this with my wife this morning and we both seemed pretty confident that it would be a no brainer. You can't take chances with your health. I'd have the nuts off in the morning and sent away in a shoe box without a second glance if someone told me I was headed for life threatening cancer. I'd worry for any woman, or man for that matter, for whom an issue like this caused much of a second thought. Maybe that's crazy of me?

The Iceman

Well theres a difference between the nuts off and the boobs off. She can have cosmetic surgery and still look and feel like a woman and continue to reproduce.
If the nuts are gone your Fathering days are over..... I'm sure you'd have second thoughts before moving forward on something like that......

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Not at all. Are you kidding me? The moral responsibility lies towards those I provide and care for, myself included! Wouldn't have a second thought kind.

If you're staring down the barrel of a life threatening illness and you decide to dilly dally on something as preposterous as MORE kids, when you have one or more already, there's something amiss!

The Iceman

I thought she was reducing the chances of developing it. Prevention tater than cure 
I don't think it's preposterous to think twice about the decision to do that or keep having kids.
Sure you may as well cut them aff now Puck just in case. And don't think twice about it. Patsy Lol
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Emma Parlons: "If somebody said your flight was 86% likely to come down, you wouldn't get on that aeroplane"

AZOffaly

Very tough decision for anyone to make I'd imagine. Best of luck to her. I would be slightly worried that this might spawn a bit of an industry though, given the high profile of Jolie, and a couple of others if I remember correctly. If you were the ones doing that test, would you tell someone they had a 20% chance of cancer, or would you tell them they had a 40% chance? I'm thinking of the inclination to err on the side of caution. It would be horrendous if the health professionals became afraid of telling someone you'll probably be fine, in case they get a lawsuit or something later on.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 15, 2013, 08:40:00 AM
Very tough decision for anyone to make I'd imagine. Best of luck to her. I would be slightly worried that this might spawn a bit of an industry though, given the high profile of Jolie, and a couple of others if I remember correctly. If you were the ones doing that test, would you tell someone they had a 20% chance of cancer, or would you tell them they had a 40% chance? I'm thinking of the inclination to err on the side of caution. It would be horrendous if the health professionals became afraid of telling someone you'll probably be fine, in case they get a lawsuit or something later on.

Had not thought of it that way! Feck, it's a tough auld world!