Your highlights of the 2014 season

Started by seafoid, October 07, 2014, 10:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: larryin89 on October 07, 2014, 11:20:22 AM
The worst in my lifetime for disappointment  , i dont think ill ever get over the sheer agony of Limerick . I know ill get slated in here for being what looks like pathetic but it is my true feelings, its now October and i still think about it , i have kicked stones in anger when i have random  flashbacks.Its not all about the blaming of venue and ref either, things like if Hennelly had of just given it another bit of wellie i believe we'd be all Ireland champions now.It's sickening beyond belief. My worrry is now we might have to bury another generation without Sam and im getting closer to the muck too.

I'm gone beyond the angry stage, you'll get there too buddy!
I think I'm in mourning now... acceptance but sadness and massive regret and disappointment.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

joemamas

Quote from: Tubberman on October 07, 2014, 05:17:03 PM
The worst in my lifetime for disappointment  , i dont think ill ever get over the sheer agony of Limerick . I know ill get slated in here for being what looks like pathetic but it is my true feelings, its now October and i still think about it , i have kicked stones in anger when i have random  flashbacks.Its not all about the blaming of venue and ref either, things like if Hennelly had of just given it another bit of wellie i believe we'd be all Ireland champions now.It's sickening beyond belief. My worrry is now we might have to bury another generation without Sam and im getting closer to the muck too.

I think I'm in mourning now... acceptance but sadness and massive regret and disappointment.

I am somewhere in between anger and disappointment. not going away easily.

ballinaman

Quote from: joemamas on October 07, 2014, 05:20:45 PM

Are you somewhere between Tulsk and Strokestown?

Rossfan

Another thread turning into a Rhubarb whingefest  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: joemamas on October 07, 2014, 05:20:45 PM

Same as that - except I m still dealing with 96/97 !!

The minors did well.

seafoid

The last 8 minutes of Galway-Kilkenny in the Leinster semifinal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7TmzloIII

It's a pity they couldn't build on it but it was stonking anyway.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on October 07, 2014, 10:44:54 PM
The last 8 minutes of Galway-Kilkenny in the Leinster semifinal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7TmzloIII

It's a pity they couldn't build on it but it was stonking anyway.

Nah, nothing to build on. Born losers are always going to lose to quality. Just like your footballers in the quarter final   #seafoid_payback

J70

Been an amazing year for Donegal. Sure it was disappointing to lose both the senior and minor finals to Kerry, but that doesn't detract too much from what was an excellent season overall. The wins over Derry, Monaghan were sweet and very satisfying, the one over Armagh hard fought, but the semi-final dismantling of Dublin was up there with Cork 2012 and Dublin 1992 as arguably the best performance ever seen from a Donegal team. And all this after a low-key spring and poor league final performance, following on from last year's Mayo and Monaghan horror shows, when not too many, including ourselves, were expecting too much out of the season.

McGuinness and the players - legends one and all!

seafoid

Eamon O'Shea's comments after the hurling final replay

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/this-team-will-win-allirelands-30621132.html

"Kilkenny deserved the win. The game was played on their terms. When this game is played on someone's terms, they usually win and that is what happened today. There is always hope until the referee blows the final whistle. This team will always have hope. I think they have been on a great journey this year."They should be proud of themselves in terms of where they have come from and what they've brought to the party. I think they fought with honour. We were defeated today but the nucleus of this team will go on and win All-Irelands in my view.

"We had a good three weeks and obviously our game plan did not work out, the way we wanted to play, and that is to the opposition's credit. They imposed their will and they are a formidable team. They are really an outstanding team. We believe we are a very good team. Today we did not get the best out of ourselves. But my belief is that we left the championship in a better place (than we started).

We worked really hard to get ourselves up to the top level and we actually were at that level for one game."I know how hard the team worked to get as good as they got. They certainly are a credit to sport, they are a credit to Tipperary hurling, even though they did not get the result they wanted today."

"I do think there are more important things (than winning). They are men who fought the battle to the end. Things did not go our way and yet the team kept going. And that is my understanding of sport and what it's about. Sometimes you don't always win. The way Tipp play now, we try until it's no longer possible. I am shattered we did not win. But it does not take anything from what was a supreme effort." -

Asal Mor

From a Galway POV definitely the comeback v Kilkenny. Lots of moments should be treasured even if they don't lead to ultimate glory.
Also, Johnny Glynn's goals against Tipp. He is what the Americans would call a beast.

I saw some of the best games I've ever seen this year. The 3 semi-finals were awesome, but I also felt a lot of sadness that Mayo didn't win and I also felt that too many wrong decisions went against them. It didn't come near balancing out. And I love the honesty of the Mayo boys on this thread.

But my highlight of the year was definitely the epic first game between Kilkenny and Tipp. On a day when defenders weren't allowed to maul the man in possession, we saw near-perfection from both teams.

In that interview with O' Shea, do ye think the comment "the game was played on their terms" was a reference to the way it was refereed?

mrdeeds

From a Cavan view an All Ireland junior title, Ulster under 21 and promotion to division 2. At it will go down as a bad year.

tonto1888

Quote from: BennyCake on October 07, 2014, 12:55:10 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on October 07, 2014, 12:39:28 PM
Donegal beating the Dubs 8)

And Armagh beating Tyrone.

That was good, but getting back to Croke Park was better. Having renewed optimism better still

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 08, 2014, 02:11:52 PM
From a Galway POV definitely the comeback v Kilkenny. Lots of moments should be treasured even if they don't lead to ultimate glory.
Also, Johnny Glynn's goals against Tipp. He is what the Americans would call a beast.

I saw some of the best games I've ever seen this year. The 3 semi-finals were awesome, but I also felt a lot of sadness that Mayo didn't win and I also felt that too many wrong decisions went against them. It didn't come near balancing out. And I love the honesty of the Mayo boys on this thread.

But my highlight of the year was definitely the epic first game between Kilkenny and Tipp. On a day when defenders weren't allowed to maul the man in possession, we saw near-perfection from both teams.

In that interview with O' Shea, do ye think the comment "the game was played on their terms" was a reference to the way it was refereed?
I think he meant that KK set the pace. Even without the ref they would have won.
Agree with you about Mayo. It was sad the way the replay went.
Also Shane Walsh was a highlight. And bating Sligo for a change

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on October 08, 2014, 01:27:37 PM
Eamon O'Shea's comments after the hurling final replay

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/this-team-will-win-allirelands-30621132.html

"Kilkenny deserved the win. The game was played on their terms. When this game is played on someone's terms, they usually win and that is what happened today. There is always hope until the referee blows the final whistle. This team will always have hope. I think they have been on a great journey this year."They should be proud of themselves in terms of where they have come from and what they've brought to the party. I think they fought with honour. We were defeated today but the nucleus of this team will go on and win All-Irelands in my view.

"We had a good three weeks and obviously our game plan did not work out, the way we wanted to play, and that is to the opposition's credit. They imposed their will and they are a formidable team. They are really an outstanding team. We believe we are a very good team. Today we did not get the best out of ourselves. But my belief is that we left the championship in a better place (than we started).

We worked really hard to get ourselves up to the top level and we actually were at that level for one game."I know how hard the team worked to get as good as they got. They certainly are a credit to sport, they are a credit to Tipperary hurling, even though they did not get the result they wanted today."

"I do think there are more important things (than winning). They are men who fought the battle to the end. Things did not go our way and yet the team kept going. And that is my understanding of sport and what it's about. Sometimes you don't always win. The way Tipp play now, we try until it's no longer possible. I am shattered we did not win. But it does not take anything from what was a supreme effort." -

Yes. Very noble and sporting.