damien barton new burren manager? will he bring the success of old??

Started by kinghen, January 02, 2008, 05:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Skull what questions...I don't think managers should be 'paid' just like i don'tthink players should be paid, same as university grants, same as players grants, same as refs, same as county administrators, but you know what its happening. I personally don't think I can change it. I know our club has never paid a manager above normal GAA expenses. I can't comment on what individual business men do because I don't know and I refuse to get involved at the level your at of naming people when you and i have not got a clue

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 03, 2008, 06:46:27 PM
Skull what questions...I don't think managers should be 'paid' just like i don'tthink players should be paid, same as university grants, same as players grants, same as refs, same as county administrators, but you know what its happening. I personally don't think I can change it. I know our club has never paid a manager above normal GAA expenses. I can't comment on what individual business men do because I don't know and I refuse to get involved at the level your at of naming people when you and i have not got a clue
not having a go at you max - but you are the latest person to bring up the subject of grants for students - because they are GAA players.

IMO this has come up recently because gpa backers are clutching at straws to find comparisons and precedents within current GAA structures to justify getting money paid to players for an amateur sport and for something they would be happy to do without money.

Players play football. If they get injured, emigrate, lose focus due to job/girlfriend/wife or simply decide the commitment is not worth it - then there will always be another player to take their place. Folklore around the country always tells us that 'such and such' would have been a county star if it wasnt for the drink/women/job/injury/farm etc etc.

Now the subject of kids looking to get an education - why deny them the chance of getting their course and costs part funded. These kids are NOT in a position to gain full time employment. Why do people whinge about giving our own a leg up in the early part of their lives, to get qualifications, to get a better and hopefully easier job (easier than the building site or farms - GAA's traditional place of employment) and therefore have more time and energy to invest in playing football or hurling for their county once the decent job is secured.
In comparison to a normal player who has the option of actually working full time - to me there is no comparison, so why do people try to lump in this red herring of 'students get GAA grants' - its NOT the same ballpark. So will folks please shut the fcuk up comparing apples and hindu temples.

Also - reffing is a role that requires payment. Its hard enough to get refs as it is, let alone good refs. Its outside normal working hours and again these people dont PLAY the game, the beneficiaries are the PLAYERS. If anyone can say that its the same thing playing or reffing/coaching/managing/GAA admin then I give up.
Players get the benefit of playing - the others partake in some way but do not benefit -  I'd pay to be able to play again.

Managers, same as refs, but its getting out of hand. If clubs can source mentors from within then thats ideal. However its often that the typical Irish mentality of jealousy and mistrust gets in the way and a good man is usually not accepted in his home parish. Prophets are not listened to in their home town scenario.
IMO the GAA must create some kind of pay scale that managers must adhere to. Obv the directive is to declare earnings to tax authorities,but in practice this wont happen (the managers would be mad). Once a pay scale is there, clubs should hopefully be able to agree less extortionate rates with these guys, as right now, the managers are creating an auction scenario - driving prices up (as far as €100k - though longford folk still refuse to believe this).
Regulate managers fees. It may help a bit.
But shut up about grants for students - are we that begrudging ?

behind the wire

lynchbhoy i dont think theres much point in explaining that over and over again. the difference between university grants/paid administrators and the current 'pay for play' have been explained to max on numerous occasions yet he still says they are all the same. either he is unable to see the difference or he just doesnt want to ie its better for the gpa if he refers to them as being all the same. i think the latter is probably more likely.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Maximus Marillius

lads i understand perfectly well what the difference is...what it means is that I do not buy into it. When the gaa was a complete volunteering organisation none of these groups recieved money. As each part of the association evolved or declined, it depends on how you see it, arguemnts were brought forward to justify why it should be accepted. The latest episode is just another page in the chapter

orangeman

Where does the book end - what happens in the last chapter ?

WolfeTone

orangeman..quit stirring the pot! its a Metaphor man, Metaphor!
Dougal: What's going on?
Priest: I think Ted has a plan
Dougal: No. I mean in general.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 04, 2008, 12:31:06 PM
lads i understand perfectly well what the difference is...what it means is that I do not buy into it. When the gaa was a complete volunteering organisation none of these groups recieved money. As each part of the association evolved or declined, it depends on how you see it, arguemnts were brought forward to justify why it should be accepted. The latest episode is just another page in the chapter

its time you took out that much loved (and over posted) self-portrait of yourself and posted it here as a reply to myself and behind the wire.

so when change is required it has to be wholesale and not addressing the parts that are important ?
::)

orangeman

Who has the longest travel distance in terms of time / miles ? Barton to Burren or Raffterty to Slaughtneil ? Is there any other manager travelling further ?

Was Moran / Morrison's travels to Mayo the longest ?

Or was Paidi's to Westmeath ? Micko's to Laois ?

SuperHans

Barton really annoys me, he writes in his IN column about negative tactics and blanket defence etc then he sends his loup team out in this years championship against dungiven to play the most foul ridden, cynical, dirty and unattacking game of football i have ever witnessed. he turned the fine attacking half back that is joe okane into a hatchetman.he inevitably got sent off even tho it should have been earlier. and the loup were paying him a five figure sum. this nonsense makes me sick

he failed at ballinderry, donaghmore and with the loup. canny mind how he did with da Poly but hes the worst kind of mercenary polluting our game

orangeman

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: SuperHans on January 05, 2008, 07:09:19 PM
Barton really annoys me, he writes in his IN column about negative tactics and blanket defence etc then he sends his loup team out in this years championship against dungiven to play the most foul ridden, cynical, dirty and unattacking game of football i have ever witnessed. he turned the fine attacking half back that is joe okane into a hatchetman.he inevitably got sent off even tho it should have been earlier. and the loup were paying him a five figure sum. this nonsense makes me sick

he failed at ballinderry, donaghmore and with the loup. canny mind how he did with da Poly but hes the worst kind of mercenary polluting our game

I certainly think he failed at Ballinderry, but Loup are in decline and wouldn't have won a derry championship in a fit and Donaghmore wouldn't have won anything, so it ain't that bad. Just because a high profile figure does not mean you have a magic wand

orangeman

Do Burren have a chance this year ? Are Mayobridge past their best ? Maybe Barton will break his duck and win in the County Down ?

gaagaa

Quote from: orangeman on January 18, 2008, 10:01:51 AM
Maybe Barton will break his duck and win in the County Down ?

maybe he'll make a balls of it and puit a split in the club?
deja vu anyone :D